SASS Wire Forum

Barrel mounted peep sight......

Knarley Bob

And one of the shooters had a peep sight mounted where one would have a buck horn. Is that legal now? Looked like it worked slicker than a snotty mocassin.

What's the scoop?

Thanks

Knarley

And one of the shooters had a peep sight mounted where one would have a buck horn. Is that legal now? Looked like it worked slicker than a snotty mocassin.

What's the scoop?

Thanks

Knarley

NO...the only "peep" sights allowed are tang-mounted.

RIFLE

• Tang mounted rear sights may utilize changeable “peep” apertures and eyecups.

SHB p.5

THIS ONE has specifically been ruled as ILLEGAL for SASS use.

You're welcome, KB.

Might want to get word to that shooter about his sight...could save him from a SDQ in the future.

;)

Might want to inform the company as well since this is in the product description:

Cowboy action shooters will benefit from the faster target acquisition and improved accuracy

Apparently they consider a SDQ a benefit.

My records indicate that the manufacturer's rep submitted an FMC to a WB member at the 2009 SHOT show.

He should have received notification shortly thereafter re: the ROC ruling (based on the SHB "Firearms Covenants")

FWIW - The Marble Arms website mentions cowboy action; but Brownell's catalog listing doesn't mention CAS at all.

My records indicate that the manufacturer's rep submitted an FMC to a WB member at the 2009 SHOT show.

He should have received notification shortly thereafter re: the ROC ruling (based on the SHB "Firearms Covenants")

You mean that sometimes a sales pitch isn't completely factual and the God's Honest Truth? When did they start doing that?? :rolleyes:

You mean that sometimes a sales pitch isn't completely factual and the God's Honest Truth? When did they start doing that?? :rolleyes:

got me...never heard of such a thing before.

:wacko:

RIFLE

SHB p.5

THIS ONE has specifically been ruled as ILLEGAL for SASS use.

Does this mean interchangable eye cups or variable aperature eye pieces or both?

RIFLE

SHB p.5

Does this mean interchangable eye cups or variable aperature eye pieces or both?

You can have either or both on a tang-mounted rear sight.

Howdy,

THANKS for showing me that sight.

I have a couple non sass carbines that I want to put one onto.

thanks again, I gotta call midway again

Best

CR

Pale Wolf.......... I realize that this sight was called illegal about two years ago. I even asked about it. But here is the real life situation as faced by match directors: On pp. 6 of the latest edition of the rules, it does not specifically disallow this barrel mounted marble peep sight nor say it is illegal.At a recent state level match a competitor (a very experienced one) had this on his rifle. It was brought up for review and the match directors, looking at the rules, could not find where it was disallowed nor could they rule from the book that a BARREL mounted peep was not allowed. Rules do not specifically say that only a tang mounted peep is legal. Guy shot the match, won his category.

I know you and others do a lot to try and make the rules specific, but the wording here needs to be changed to the effect that ONLY tang-mounted peep sights are legal (not receiver, not barrel) and that this rear sight is specifically disallowed. MD's can only rule based on the book, not what is stated on the Wire, and the ones I know want everyone shooting to have a fun time and not try to interpret too much to the non-favor of the participant. :)

Page 5 SASS Handbook

RIFLE

No bolt or receiver mounted sight is permitted.

• Dovetails may be milled in the barrel for sight replacement.

• Beech style front sights and sight hoods are allowed.

• Front sights may include a bead or insert of steel, iron, ivory, faux ivory, brass, gold,

pewter, copper, or silver. The bead or insert shall be the color of the material.

• Rear sights may utilize an insert of the same color as the rear sight to allow easy sight

adjustment.

• Ramp style front sights are allowed if original to the firearm.

• Modern style click adjustable barrel or receiver sights are not allowed.

Ramrod --- yep, that reads the way you copied it. But does not say a thing about a BARREL mounted peep, which is what the Marble 'Bullseye' sight is. Mounts in the rear sight dovetail. :blink:

Not going to beat this further; rules committee does a bang up job. But, if I was a MD and someone showed up with the 'Bullseye' sight mounted and wanted to shoot, would have to let them use based on the rules book. Just needs on reprinting to be specified as 'not allowed'.

I searched the SASS Handbook, ROI, ROII manuals online,(click edit, find) for the word peep.

The only instances in the SASSHB are the ones quoted and the one for Long Range. The word "peep" does not show up in ROI or ROII.

I remember a couple of editions ago, not the current version, barrel mounted peep sights were prohibited, now, no mention.

Regards

SASS FIREARMS COVENANTS

In each of the respective sections, allowed modifications are listed.

Just because a manufacturer designs a part or firearm for this sport or just because a firearm was available, does not necessarily mean it is legal for competition.

Only the modifications referenced here as allowed are approved. All others are illegal.

SASS recognizes the desire to enhance firearm performance. Firearms manufacturers, importers, gunsmiths, and the membership as a whole must use caution in any quest to develop mechanisms designed to enhance the operation of firearms for SASS Cowboy Action Shooting™.

Any firearm modification not referenced in this Handbook is prohibited.

Parties interested in having modifications, parts, or firearms considered for approval and inclusion in the SASS accepted modification text can request a Firearms Modification Consideration application from SASS.

Written receipt of acceptance from SASS will be the ONLY source of approval.

Unless referenced within these Covenants, any modifications, parts, or firearms used without this approval are illegal.

A stage disqualification is issued for each stage in which a non-SASS legal firearm is used.

SHOOTERS HANDBOOK - page 3

ANY EXTERNAL MODIFICATION TO ANY FIREARM NOT SPECIFICALLY REFERENCED IN THIS HANDBOOK IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED!
SHOOTERS HANDBOOK - page 10

"Any firearm modification not referenced in this Handbook is prohibited"

I am sure I am missing this, but where does it say we can short-stroke a pistol?

Revolver short stroking is an internal mod to the action. Where does it say we can short-stroke a rifle? Same thing. Most Internal mods are allowed; most external mods are not.

Really, get real. :lol:

Good luck, GJ

"Any firearm modification not referenced in this Handbook is prohibited"

I am sure I am missing this, but where does it say we can short-stroke a pistol?

ALL FIREARMS

• Internal modifications not referenced here that cannot be seen while the firearm is at rest (action closed) are allowed provided they do not affect the external operation or directly conflict with one of the modifications listed here.

SHB p.3

HAMMERS

• The hammer travel distance on any revolver may be adjusted.

SHB p.4

The sight being referred to in the OP, I believe, is a "Bullseye Rear Sight".

My link

Is it still considered a "peep" sight and therefore not allowed?

RR

Please ref the links in post #'s 3 & 7...we're talking about the same basic type of sight here.

Archived