SASS Wire Forum

Any Preference and Reasons?

Sagerider

I'm considering a pair of cap and ball pistols for black powder shooting. Between Uberti and Pietta, is there a real quality difference or are they both similar in reliability? Anything to change or modify for improvement prior to CAS? Thanks for the information. Sagerider

They both have pluses and minuses and both need some tuning if you are going to shoot them competitively. (Almost the first thing everyone that shoots these seriously does is change to Treso nipples and lay in a supply of Remington #10 caps.) The biggest difference between the two is the grip shape and angle. In other words, a Uberti 51 Navy has a different grip shape and angle than a Pietta 51 Navy. Since that is what connects you to the gun, you need to handle both to see if you like one or the other better.

"Uberti" !!!!

pietta = Junk !!!

And I tied to get the company to do the right thing ,,, The answer from the top is "There with-in accepted manufacturing tolerances"

Jabez Cowboy

Howdy:

I have three 58 Remmies from Pietta and could not be more satisfied with their quality and performance. Both, I think, are good items andf I see about the same distribution of brands at NMLRA on the "as issued" pistol line.

They ALL need Treso nipples and some smoothing of the trigger for target work. They will work pretty well without the trigger work, but will be rough.

STL Suomi

I have Uberti Dragoons and Pietta '51's and '60's, and I really don't see any difference when it comes to shooting them. The Uberti's may have a slight edge on the finish, but I sure wouldn't spend any extra for that, I want to shoot 'em, not look at 'em. I changed them all to Treso's, even the Uberti's.

Howdy

A few years ago Cabelas had Pietta 1860 Colts on sale for a very good price. About $200 each if I recall correctly. If I recall correctly the Uberti version were going for quite a bit more at the time. I had always wanted an 1860, so I ran up to a nearby Cabelas and grabbed a pair of the Piettas. I can only say, you get what you pay for.

I was particularly disappointed with the finish (or lack of it) with the Piettas. The frames had several burrs on the outside that should have been removed before they were case hardened. As it is, the burrs are still there and if I were to carefully grind them off, the resulting bare metal would stand out like a sore thumb.

I am not saying that Ubertis are perfect, every Uberti revolver I have ever been inside also had burrs and rough machining inside as a result of the CNC equipment being run too fast. But at least Uberti took the trouble to polish away burrs that could be seen from the outside before case hardening the frames.

You pays your money, you takes your choice. If I were going to do it over again, I would spend the extra money on a pair of Ubertis.

The Ubertis look better on the outside.

The Piettas are better on the inside.

Pietta actually pays attention to the relationship between the arbor and the barrel. In most cases they get it right.

I have sold all of my Uberti 1860s and now keep only the Piettas. (7 at last count)

Pietta had a complete re-tooling several years back and their QC jumped immensely.

All I can say if Pietta's QC has improved a lot ,,,,,,,,,, and are they still are junk !!!!

I wonder how bad they used to be ...

Biggest cylinder mouth .3667 bore .381, Biggest cylinder mouth .4489 bore .453 ,,,,,,

Best out of the box trigger pull on a pietta 108 oz. best from Uberti 20 oz.

pietta 1858 remmie Barrel of face with cylinder scrapping on top and 13 thousands gap at 6 o-clock ...

Jabez Cowboy

All I can say if Pietta's QC has improved a lot ,,,,,,,,,, and are they still are junk !!!!

I wonder how bad they used to be ...

Biggest cylinder mouth .3667 bore .381, Biggest cylinder mouth .4489 bore .453 ,,,,,,

Best out of the box trigger pull on a pietta 108 oz. best from Uberti 20 oz.

pietta 1858 remmie Barrel of face with cylinder scrapping on top and 13 thousands gap at 6 o-clock ...

Jabez Cowboy

Depends on when your Piettas were made. Like everyone else, they have updated their machinery to the latest CNC and the QC is markedly better than just a few years ago. I have gotten good and bad from both Uberti and Pietta. Both can be smoothed up into fine competition guns. You run into a bad one of anything every once in a while. One of the worst C&B's I ever bought and it took HOURS of work to get it to work smoothly was a Colt 2nd Gen 51 NAVY. Again, I would advise the OP to handle both and see which one fits his hands the best. Either needs a tune up to be competitive.

Depends on when your Piettas were made. Like everyone else, they have updated their machinery to the latest CNC and the QC is markedly better than just a few years ago. I have gotten good and bad from both Uberti and Pietta. Both can be smoothed up into fine competition guns. You run into a bad one of anything every once in a while. One of the worst C&B's I ever bought and it took HOURS of work to get it to work smoothly was a Colt 2nd Gen 51 NAVY. Again, I would advise the OP to handle both and see which one fits his hands the best. Either needs a tune up to be competitive.

I tuned up My Pietta Navies as per your fine article and they run smooth and reliably.

I see no reason to go with Ubertis. My Piettas are not junk at all.

Hi Pard,

I use these. They are small and fit my hands well. I bought them new in 2000. I hope the QC has improved since then. Gun Boy spent many hours getting both of them to shoot. They are very difficult to load. I cannot do it. So, I purchased extra cylinders and Hubby loads them at home. I only have enough cylinders to shoot the Plainsman side match.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi Pard,

I use these. They are small and fit my hands well. I bought them new in 2000. I hope the QC has improved since then. Gun Boy spent many hours getting both of them to shoot. They are very difficult to load. I cannot do it. So, I purchased extra cylinders and Hubby loads them at home. I only have enough cylinders to shoot the Plainsman side match.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Nice!! Overactive bladder fingers?

Archived