SASS Wire Forum

Where do I find a decent holster?

Zigggy

Howdy, and thanks for the help so far. Guns are easy to find, but holsters not so. I'm looking for a fast draw holster that won't break the bank. I figured there might be some used ones around, but even the ones on ebay are either garbage or brand new.

Help!

Thanks a lot.

You gonna shoot Fast Draw, Cowboy Fast Draw, or CAS? Three different games with 3 different holster requirements. In CAS we don't actually really do the "fast draw" thing, although drawing pretty fast is an important element of the game.

If you are gonna do Fast Draw or Cowboy Fast Draw then I would recommend Mernickle Leather Co. For CAS, either Mernickle or Kirkpatrick Leather Co. Both are top of the line and perfect for what we do and lots of us are using leather from those two oufits. I use leather from both of them. I like the Evil Roy rigs from either (now only available new from Mernickle), lotsa folks using the Kirkpatrick Long Hunter rigs.

Those 2 companies are my top recommendations and will outlast a lot of others and be "just right" for the game.

I do realize there is difference between Fast Draw and CAS. I'd really like to get a rig that is good for Fast Draw, and meets the requirements, and then I can just add another generic holster for CAS.

Ziggy,

Cowboy Fast Draw has different holster requirements than World Fast Draw. Mernickle does both. Purdy GearAlso makes a CFDA rig. I don't know how to find a used one unless you go to an event. You could try the CFDA wb site they have a forum My link

Blue Wolf

Ziggy; As mentioned by others, there are a lot of quality holster makers...... My recommendation is to look at a lot of rigs at your next shoot.....talk to a bunch of shooters someone will always loan you a rig if you call ahead to the club you are going to attend. As with buying guns....don't get in a big hurry. If you start out with a cheap rig it will soon get upgraded. Like others I started with a cheap rig and then got my first quality rig from Black Hills http://www.bhlstore....y.asp?catid=205 They have rigs at various prices and if you call Rudy he will from time to time give a 20% discount. They have over 40 rigs on their site and will modify any rig to your desire.

You will find that if you start with a quality reinforced rig it will serve you a long time. My current rig has been in service for over 5 years.

Just my two scents

KK

I do believe KK is right. I'm going to look at a gun next week, and I am finding some relatively inexpensive rigs with good reviews that will probably get me by, at least to practice at the range.

Will I upgrade, probably, but after playing around at the range I'll have a better idea of what I really want/need. I'm kinda OCD compulsive when it come to this stuff, and I already have a drawer full of gun "stuff" I may never use again, as I'm sure many of you do as well. :D Hey, my neighbor just bought new saddlebags for his Harley that cost way more than a bushel of rigs, so I'm doing okay.

The winters here are long but the range is close. I'd like to get a little practice in -- I've studied fast draw to death even though I've never done it -- and would like to try some slow-motion fast draw and work my way up to the point where I only kinda embarrass myself. :unsure: As for CAS: I'm a good shot with a pistol and a rifle, but terrible with a shotgun, so that needs some work, too.

Everybody in the forums has been great, and I'm looking forward to the Pass opening and checking out both the Cowboy Action and Fast Draw around the state. Also looking forward to meeting all you nice people.

PS. Thanks for the link. Really nice rigs at reasonable prices.

Ziggy, if you try a fast draw technique from a holster at a CAS match you won't be there long, it sounds like you have alot of interest, but not a lot of knowledge of what actually happens at a match. Fast draw is point shooting from the hip, and it is done with a 45 caliber and blanks, not REAL ammo. In Cowboy action, you draw and aim your pistols, a rifle sequences, and shotgun, not in any particular order. Shotgun targets are steel knockdowns, some clubs have a few pop up targets, but normally only a couple in a match. I would recommend watching some videos of actual CAS matches they get posted here all the time and You tube is full of them...

Ziggy.....A fast draw holster is made so the gun comes out EASY and FAST and has no retention. At a SASS match there is a lot of movement and possibly some runnin,There is a possibility of your gun falling out of a Fast Draw holster................Empty.....SDQ........Loaded.......MDQ....I would give some thought............Bandit

I really think that most of the speed comes from the man and not the holster, seen some cases where phenomenal speed came from questionable rigs. Two of the more popular mass producers are Mernickel and Kirkpatrick. Long term popularity and endorsements from the top shooters will usually indicate why they have held their top positions in our sport. I have never used one of the Murphy Leather rigs but they look like they should be smokin fast and there is a current thread running on the Wire that discusses them.

Now for my favorite part, the frontier leather worker, that lonely guy who has been plowing his trade for many years in relative obscurity. Most of these guys are actually border line hobbyist, though many know the leather part as well as any big shop owner out there! Some are actually still doing most or all of their work with hand cutting, hand stitching, and would turn their nose up at the thought of someone embossing a pattern on leather. These guys mostly hang tight for their love of the art of leather and can be found in many places if you check the right discussion boards or ask for the local leather worker at the next match. Now for a dirty little secret, some of these small guys are feeling the pinch of the Obama economy and would be willing to negotiate more than the bigger guys who have to hold the line more due to their much higher overhead. Browse some of the leather work posts and then ask questions here- http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,57.0.html .

One last thought, lately I have been seeing a lot of good leather that has been ruined by guns with sharp edges, particularly the front of the cylinder. If you start seeing some really ruffed up leather scuffing at the mouth of the holster look to that revolver cylinder first and if it is well radius-ed then ask more questions later.

Thanks again. Yes, I'm aware of the differences between the two sports, and the differences in rigs. I've even seen, on the Net, the fast draw holsters that look more like SUV cup holders for that twisting draw. To me, this poses a technical advantage but has nothing to do with authenticity and gives you no retention at all. Actually, I figure I don't really need a decent holster if I want to go that route. I can just go to Auto Zone and hang a cup holder off my belt. :unsure:

I'm also aware of shooting from the hip vs. aiming. Normally I would aim the gun, but I have a LaserLyte practice laser that will tell me where my shots are going to hit when shooting from the hip. Pretty cool device for practice whether you aim or not, no ammo needed. I already have a shot timer.

I'm aware that fast draw uses blanks and wax bullets, cheap practice.

And, I'm also getting advice that revolvers have a way of tearing up holster, the reason for many of the mods I've seen, and that both CAS and Fast Draw takes it's toll on revolvers as well -- parts need to be modified and replacement parts need to be brought to events.

I want to attend and try both events, and I know I'll have fun whether I'm competitive or not, although it's nice to be competitive. :lol:

The idea here is meet some good people, which I'm already doing, and find something both myself and my girlfriend can get into. Now SHE'S competitive. You should have seen her when I took her to the track on ladies day, and she goes nuts when her shots are better than mine at the range -- she is a good shot, and revolvers only for her.

Western & Wildlfe Wonders makes a good fast holster called the "Lawman" that should serve to start in both games ....

And it is in-expensive I have been using mine for CAS shooting for about 3 years ...

Jabez Cowboy

I just bought a authentic Paladin Holster from Alfonso's Holsters in Burbank Ca. This guys dad Alfonso sr made the Original Paladin holster and has that one plus many more beautiful authentic desi gs that the studio went to him to built. They are first class handmade. But expensive. Google their website. They are the best I've ever seen and he shoots SASS

Be sure to check out Murphy custom gunleather. Dan makes a great product, stands by his work, will customize to your exact requirements, He sponsers shoots and is a good pard to ride the river with.

Be sure to check out Murphy custom gunleather. Dan makes a great product, stands by his work, will customize to your exact requirements, He sponsers shoots and is a good pard to ride the river with.

+1 on Murphy. His stuff is "buy once, use it for life". If you find somebody at a shoot using Murphy's holsters, ask if you can hold it up to the light and see how well his holsters fit a revolver all the away around without restricting it. There's a lot of good leather out there, but Murphy's is a cut above most and well worth the price...

Archived