SASS Wire Forum

TrailBoss

badshooter

I have been loading TrailBoss over 250gr bullet and am really getting some dirty cases and also a very dirt Model 66. Is this common that TrailBoss is that dirty of a powder?

Thanks

Badshooter

You are not allowed to post load info hear so I can just say that is a light load .

And lighter loads dont burn the powder well, so the gun gits dirtier.

Try putting in some filler !

Guest diablo slim shootist

to answer your question first -strait walled cases tend to do that with

reduced loads-More powder and a better crimp may help.

next-we are not suppose to publish loads on the wire only PM them back and forth

member to member.you may get your question pulled by the moderator ...i'm just saying ;)

In my opinion, Trail Boss is a poor propellant for the 45 LC. It's low pressures and slow pressure curve are not conducive to yielding clean burning, and allow excessive blow back due to poor case obturation upon ignition, in the 45 LC application.

Propellents with a higher peak pressure and a steeper pressure curve perform much better and cleaner in this caliber. Thus the faster burning powders like Bullseye, Accurate 100, W-230, Clays, Titewad, Etc. will do a better job in the 45 LC than will Trail Boss.

RBK

I have been loading TrailBoss over 250gr bullet and am really getting some dirty cases and also a very dirt Model 66. Is this common that TrailBoss is that dirty of a powder?

Thanks

Badshooter

Like a lot of other shooters I have been using TB for a while now - and I use the Hodgdons minimum

load they specify for the LRNFP 250 with great success: TB Test loads.

If you put a good crimp on it - they'll shoot fairly well, leaving only a little soot that wipes off easily.

Far cleaner than Unique, and the powder gives me a nice easy shooting 600 f/s load that is all day fun.

It cleans up as easily in my 92 as in my Rugers, got no complaints using it . . .

SC

In my opinion, Trail Boss is a poor propellant for the 45 LC. It's low pressures and slow pressure curve are not conducive to yielding clean burning, and allow excessive blow back due to poor case obturation upon ignition, in the 45 LC application.

Propellents with a higher peak pressure and a steeper pressure curve perform much better and cleaner in this caliber. Thus the faster burning powders like Bullseye, Accurate 100, W-230, Clays, Titewad, Etc. will do a better job in the 45 LC than will Trail Boss.

RBK

Something does NOT compute here. Trailboss was developed specifically for large-caliber cases like the .45 LC and .44-40. It's intent was to fill these larger cases better than Clayss, or Bullseye and the rest so a light cowboy load would better fill those cavernous cases. I put a charge of Trailboss equal by weight to what I load using Clays into a .45LC case. It filled greater than half the case compared to my CLays charge which doesn't even make the ¼-case mark. Something here smells a little fishy. So are you saying Trailboss is not suitable for .45LC or .44-40 or the like? Is IMR lying to us?

Irish Red O'Toole,

No. In the 44-40 it works well, because the thin brass obturates easily and seals the case mouth off well in the chamber, and prevents the blowback. The 45 LC has thick brass and doesn't seal well with low presure loads.

I didn't suggest that TB wouldn't work, I just stated that there are better propellants. I have no problem with those who are satisfied with TB in the 45 LC, but it doesn't perform to my standards or liking.

RBK

I have switched and decided to stay with using Trailboss with my .45 Colt loads but Im using 205 grain bullets. I also get a dark burnt soot mark on one side of my brass. I pay no attention to it because I was getting the same dirty brass using Tight Group, Clays, Unique and 231. It didnt matter what I used and yes I applied a heavy crimp with them all. Im blaming it on the brass not expanding enough to seal the chamber from blow by. For me its just the nature of the beast using light loads for C.A.S shooting. Trailboss is an excellent powder for the mighty .45.....

Howdy....No problems here with TB, does what it's supposed to in the 45...a little bit of blow back but who cares !

Regards 'Painted Mohawk

I have found that TB gives me incredible accuracy in my 45LC '66. I have made a bit of an experiment this past week, turned some Starline .45 cases outside mouth thickness down to see if this might make the case seal better. Took barely .001 off. Now I need to hit the range and play.

I use TB mostly and have loaded Titegroup. I must be a dirty guy as I don't expect the shot brass to come out clean and having a dirty gun is just part of the game to me. I usually shoot several matches before I clean my guns and have no problems. Brass shakers do a great job cleaning the brass and with the cleaning sprays available today cleaning is no problem.

There was this new shooter who was very concerned with keeping the brass on his '66 clean and shinny. He asked me how I did it and I told him that I don't bother. I'd rather have the patina of an old and well used firearm. WW

I have switched and decided to stay with using Trailboss with my .45 Colt loads but Im using 205 grain bullets. I also get a dark burnt soot mark on one side of my brass. I pay no attention to it because I was getting the same dirty brass using Tight Group, Clays, Unique and 231. It didnt matter what I used and yes I applied a heavy crimp with them all. Im blaming it on the brass not expanding enough to seal the chamber from blow by. For me its just the nature of the beast using light loads for C.A.S shooting. Trailboss is an excellent powder for the mighty .45.....

That's what I've seen too.....they all burn pretty dirty at SASS velocities. TB is really bad at the low end.

From what I've seen the only way to get a clean 45 case is to make it a 38. I think the main issue is the sloppy chamber fit on the 45 uberti rifles. I've tried a bunch of powders and they were all dirty, at least enough that I might as well use the powder I liked best, as it was six of one or half a dozen of the other.

The biggest single thing I could do to keep it clean was to use the 250gr bullet not the 200 and a decent charge. That being said, I save money and use the 200 gr bullet and just clean the rifle more often <_< .....doc

Thanks

Badshooter

;-) Prolly burn a mite cleaner if the powder was kept under the boolit.

prs

Thanks for all the replys and helpful info. I was more concerned with the 66 getting so dirty after 50 rounds that it became harder to cycle then when it was clean.

I guess I will just try some different loads.

Thanks again

How does the trailboss look in the 45 case.I shoot 38 but the fact that when I put my load in the case it is half full,I cant put two drops in the case and I can just look and see that I have a drop in a case.I have tried 2 other powders and trailboss is as clean as any I have tried.

How does the trailboss look in the 45 case.I shoot 38 but the fact that when I put my load in the case it is half full,I cant put two drops in the case and I can just look and see that I have a drop in a case.I have tried 2 other powders and trailboss is as clean as any I have tried.

My trial boss load is about halfway full in the case and a double load will go right to the top or maybe overflow a little, pretty hard to miss, not so with clays.

Thanks for all the replys and helpful info. I was more concerned with the 66 getting so dirty after 50 rounds that it became harder to cycle then when it was clean.

Thanks again

It has been my experience that the carrier is the issue when the 66 doesn't move as well as you would like. During a match if things get sticky I find wiping off the inside of the carrier housing with a little solvent on a rag keeps me going. Don't know how much of a gunsmith you are, but I took my carrier out and ran it on some fine emery paper follow by some steel wool. It didn't take off much metel, but it did make the sides smoother and less prone to fouling. You can also steel wool the inside of the carrier housing. WW

Thanks again

I had the same problem with my 73. My rifle seems to get shared a lot, and with 3 people shooting a match, it would get sticky by the last stage. My load is a 200 gr smack dab in the middle of the published specs for TB. I love that load in the rifle, and don't have any trouble getting rounds down range pretty quick. I don't shoot this in the pistols, I use AJ's Cowboy Specials. Less kick and less powder.

My only advice would be to not go to the bottom on the powder charge curve. I tried it a few times, and had trouble with sticky rifle and accuracy suffered just a little, but not enough to cause problems at CAS ranges. Good tight crimp helps a bunch too. YMMV

Archived