SASS Wire Forum

Uberti '73 Carbine & Short Rifle

Ben Bitten

I'm just curious is there a difference in performance between Uberti's '73 Carbine and their '73 Short Rifle. A local gun shop has a Carbine model on the wall, and I was just curious.

Thanks.

No difference in performance. But a big difference in feel. The carbine has a lot more weight in the rear and because of the way the stock is cut it is effectively one inch longer than the cresent buttplate style stock found on the rifles.

I like the octgon barrel far better,it steadies up faster and hangs on target better...

And I prefer the cresent buttplate over the carbine one...

And the front sight is easyer to replace ....

Jabez Cowboy

I use one of each depending on my mood when I go out.The 20inch short rifle weighs a tad more because the the 1 inch longer Octagon barrel.Not a great amount,but noticable.The 19inch carbine has a straight buttplate where the short rifle is a cresent buttplate.Some people like it,some don't.Both are great shooters.

I like the octgon barrel far better,it steadies up faster and hangs on target better...

And I prefer the cresent buttplate over the carbine one...

And the front sight is easyer to replace ....

Jabez Cowboy

I don't agree with the front sight being easier to replace.On the carbine you buy it as a 1 piece unit.Sight and barrel band combined.Pull 1 screw,slide off the barrel band and slide on the new one.Replace the screw and you're done.On the short rifle most often you have to file to fit the dovetail,anyway that's been the case of friends of mine that did their own replacement.I cheated;I had Longhunter do mine.

IMO the carbine has more a flat balance while the rifle is front heavy. The main thing to watch for on the carbine is to make sure the dove tail for the rear sight is far enough forward to mount a regular sight in it. Many times (it varies and I don't know why) the dove tail is only an inch front the frame and you have to reverse the sight, cut a new dove tail, stick with the original flip sight or ladder sight, or by an aftermarket type but your choices are limited.

Although I don't shoot one, carbines can rock, so if you like the feel of the gun and want to buy it, then buy it. Most who shoot carbines well have changed out the sights and that might mean having a gunsmith to dovetail the barrel for the front sight.

Or you could split the differences. http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/RepeatingRifles/TxBrushPop.htm A 18 1/2" barrel that is 1/2 octagon and 1/2 round. I own two short rifles,a 66 & 73 but think if I was going to add a third I would seriously consider one of these. Adios Sgt. Jake

Or you could split the differences. http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/RepeatingRifles/TxBrushPop.htm A 18 1/2" barrel that is 1/2 octagon and 1/2 round. I own two short rifles,a 66 & 73 but think if I was going to add a third I would seriously consider one of these. Adios Sgt. Jake

I sold a .357/.38 '73 short rifle with an 18" octagon barrel and crescent butt stock to buy a '73 carbine with a 19" round barrel with a "shotgun" butt stock because an octagon barrel is front heavy and "dropped" when I picked it up one-handed off a table when staged and the round carbine barrel is lighter and with its "shotgun" butt stock is much faster to "shoulder" and get the first shot off. The downside of the carbine is that the front sight is limited to an integral barrel band sight unless you have a gunsmith machine a dovetail so you can change the sight to one of your liking.

I sold a .357/.38 '73 short rifle with an 18" octagon barrel and crescent butt stock to buy a '73 carbine with a 19" round barrel with a "shotgun" butt stock because an octagon barrel is front heavy and "dropped" when I picked it up one-handed off a table when staged and the round carbine barrel is lighter and with its "shotgun" butt stock is much faster to "shoulder" and get the first shot off. The downside of the carbine is that the front sight is limited to an integral barrel band sight unless you have a gunsmith machine a dovetail so you can change the sight to one of your liking.

Six Shot Yup the pluses and minuses. I'm not quite as competitive as you are and to me I like the steadiness of the slightly heavier muzzle of the short rifle.

In fact the only carbine I ever had that I really liked was a 92 Winchester,that had started out life as a 32 wcf but re-bored to 357 mag.For some odd reason that gun always felt great. Adios Sgt. Jake

Thanks for the input guys. Much obliged! And thanks, Buck for the phone chat - that really helped put things in perspective. :D

I like carbines. I like the shorter bbl - I've always felt they were easier to manage and navigate. ...And crescent stocks feel a little awkward for me - so the flatter "shotgun style" stock isn't really an issue. Truth-be-told the crescent stock was one of the reasons I've been shying away from the short rifle in the first place.

As long as the '73 carbine lives up to the performance and reputation of the '73 short rifle I'll be happy.

I think what I'm going to do is head down to the shop after the holidays - if it's still there I'll pick it up - or at least put a down payment on it. It's priced a little less than the suggested MSRP on Uberti's site, so I feel it's a fair price. Especially for a new gun.

I have recently bought a crescent rifle stock for my 1866 carbine. I find that the crescent once seated stays put better for me while levering.

Archived