SASS Wire Forum

Interesting Words from Col West

Dusty Balz, SASS#46599

Yup, Congressman West KNOWS! Thanks for sharing DB....

GG ( who listens to AFA every day to and from work ;) Good programming....) ~ :FlagAm:

Darn... I can't access it. :(

Security software here at work sez I'm not allowed to see (or hear?) it because it may have a religious content. :huh:

Oh bother... <_<

I saw this a few days ago. Knew nothing about Col. West (now a FL congressman), and started looking around on the Web. The guy certainly has a presence, and spews a lot of "facts" about the history of conflict between European nations and Muslim forces through history. But there is something over the top about some of his presentations that is unsettling, and I'm not sure what that is (yet).

There are some varied accounts of his departure from the Army. Some versions claim he shot near the crotch of a captured enemy fighter to extract information about missing US soldiers; another says he fired two rounds near a prisoner's head to extract information about a supposed plot against the Col. Haven't reconciled these yet, and with the Web being the model of accuracy that it is, I may need a few hours to get to the bottom. But he apparently exited under a cloud.

He's exciting; but I'm not certain yet that all of his oratory has a basis in fact and reason. I'm going to keep reading.

LL

Well it would appear , that He at least has studied the enemy enough to see some of the facts . I do have to wonder , Why others have not done likewise ?

You need to understand the motovations and tactics used , if you want to defeat the opposing forces .

Simple facts taught to all small unit leaders , and passed to all in the unit .

CB There are others more qualified to awnser this than I am .

If blowing the nuts off one Iraqi or putting a slug in his head saves the life of one American soldier, I say GO FOR IT

If blowing the nuts off one Iraqi or putting a slug in his head saves the life of one American soldier, I say GO FOR IT

Maybe it was what we call an AD. Or maybe he didn't realize his sidearm was loaded. lol

God Bless America.

The Col. didn't shoot any prisoners; if he had, my sense is that he would be in a deeper and more serious hole with the Army. And it is not clear that there were any US soldiers at risk.

The military folks here can answer this better than I, but as I understand it from various articles, it's a major league boo-boo to violate established rules for prisoner interrogation. There were two trained interrogators with the prisoner, and apparently they weren't getting results fast enough to satisfy the Col. Some commentators have suggested that a commanding officer who steps into such a procedure and applies his own "field methods" is corrupting the process, and when he does so in a way that violates established rules (no shooting at prisoners? No threats of imminent death?), he corrupts the obedience and respect for authority of those below him in the chain of command ("If he can do it, so can I"). I realize that there are a lot of details not provided in these reports, and the devil is in the details; but I don't get the sense that the Army appreciated his attempt at gun-point information extraction.

Before this steers off point - I'm not leading an assault on this man's character. I'm intrigued by his apparent knowledge and his powerful delivery. But when it comes to larger-than-life political figures, I'm cautious until all the facts are known (or at least close to all of the facts).

LL

With ya on that...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

The Col. didn't shoot any prisoners; if he had, my sense is that he would be in a deeper and more serious hole with the Army. And it is not clear that there were any US soldiers at risk.

The military folks here can answer this better than I, but as I understand it from various articles, it's a major league boo-boo to violate established rules for prisoner interrogation. There were two trained interrogators with the prisoner, and apparently they weren't getting results fast enough to satisfy the Col. Some commentators have suggested that a commanding officer who steps into such a procedure and applies his own "field methods" is corrupting the process, and when he does so in a way that violates established rules (no shooting at prisoners? No threats of imminent death?), he corrupts the obedience and respect for authority of those below him in the chain of command ("If he can do it, so can I"). I realize that there are a lot of details not provided in these reports, and the devil is in the details; but I don't get the sense that the Army appreciated his attempt at gun-point information extraction.

Before this steers off point - I'm not leading an assault on this man's character. I'm intrigued by his apparent knowledge and his powerful delivery. But when it comes to larger-than-life political figures, I'm cautious until all the facts are known (or at least close to all of the facts).

LL

I agree

Archived