SASS Wire Forum

Wolf large pistol primers vs Winchester large pistol primers

Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L

Which one's are softer - I know that Federal are the ones to get if one has put in some lighter springs, but I have some Wolf brand to try and have used only Winchester my whole life.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I thought they were about the same. However I found the Wolf a very hard to seat primer. My arm & shoulder would be sore after a hundred rounds and my carpal tunnel started to come back! Have switched to Fed and won't use anything else now.

CPK

Can't speak for Wolf primers, have never used them and won't, as Chili Pepper Kid said, I remember him saying that once at a shoot, if I can't find Winchester primers, I don't shoot, will only use Winchester primers or nothing at all, at one time Dillon didn't recommend Federals in their machines,being to soft and could blow up, don't know if that has changed or not, but know quite a few use them in the Dillon machines with no problems.

All for now JD Trampas

Gunner, got a lead hardness tester? I did a mass measuring of primers hardness but don't own any Wolf's. So can't give you the comparison.

Alternative: Take a new primer of each, remove the anvil and Barium Nitrate. Load each primer into an empty case. Chamber each - pull the trigger. The primer with the deepest hit is the softest ... Bingo, you have the answer!

Let us all know which one is the Winner!

I normally use only Federal primers, however I was recently low on supply and bought a 1000 Wolf large pistol primers. After seating 50 primers, I gave it up. They were some of the hardest seating primers I've used and I thought CCI was a bit hard.

Out of the 50 Wolf primers, I had two failure to fire at a match. I won't use them again.

You won't have any problem with Wolf primers. I've used thousands of them when the primer shortage hit, and they have all gone bang, all my guns have had action work. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Thanks y'all...figured I'd use 'em seein' that I am at my last couple hundred of my Winchester's...

Heard of some ingintion issues with the Wolf small pistol primers awhile back, but not the large pistol primers...

Hey Gunner, just buy some more Winchester, they are plentiful now, no shortage, save the Wolf's for later down the road if there is another shortage, hope that don't happen.

All for now JD Trampas

:lol: That's when I bought the Wolf's ...when that primer shortage happened (no Winnie's available) just after the 2008 election :lol: ...:unsure: ...ah heck...:lol:

I know what you mean, that is why I bought 10,000 primers to have on hand, still working on them, all Winchester, glad I did then, the prices went thru the roof in my area if you could find them, I'm talking around $50 for 1,000 and depends who had them, some places was even higher.

All for now JD Trampas

During the shortage when nothing else was available, I some Wolf large pistol primers. They have worked fine in my Colts, M-92, M-73 and Spencer. A friend with a Taurus Judge has been having some issues with them.

I use CCI, Winchester and Federal primers -- depends on what's available. My guns have action jobs, yet I don't notice any difference. They all go bang and I've never had a failure to fire after many thousands of rounds. If you're worrying that much about primer hardness, you might want to consider that your hammer springs are too light or that there's something else needing adjustment.

Archived