SASS Wire Forum

Save dem Spent Primers

Shotgun Bandit

Went to the junk yard yesterday with a powder jug about 1/2 full of spent primers and some un reloadble brass. The jug weighed 25lb on the bathroom scale and to my surprise it weighed the same at the junker.........annnnnnnyway the bottom line was I left the junkyard with $48.00. .............shore beats throwing em in the trash ..........Bandit

I took some last year.. coffee can full...

spent primers and split cases...

think I got around $26.00

They weighed it with the coffee can and all...

I asked for my can back when I left... they gave it to me :rolleyes:

Rance <_<

thinkin' I almost got another can full $$$ :rolleyes:

ain't sure... they might be nickle plated brass.. ?? but they tookem'

Well..............I'll be damned.

Guess I'll start saving mine. Been throwin them away....

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Yup, they go in my scrap brass barrel---Been saving them.

MG

It's hard for me to believe that a scrap dealer is dunb enough to pay that kind of money for what is basically STEEL!!! The battery cup of most modern primers is Steel as are the primer cups. This is the preponderance of their weight. Makes no sense at all.

RBK

Been selling spent primers mixed with brass for years. The recycler checks with a magnet for steel cases and does not find anything.

Because primers are brass.

Except maybe them Rooskie ones.

CP

Gentlemen,

Shotshell primers have a steel battery cup, but internal parts have some brass in them. You won't find recyclers very eager to buy shotshell primers.

But the primers that recyclers will usually take with no argument are rifle and pistol primers. Those are 100% brass, except a little residue left from the priming compound. So, with scrap brass at about $1.60 a pound now, sure they will pay you for them.

Just sold three garbage bags of aluminum cans for over $6 too. All the metals are sky high right now.

Good luck, GJ

Good thing I've been saving all mine instead of throwing them away. I figured they had to be good for something. I have all my shotshell and pistol primers mixed though. Should be able to separate them pretty easily with a magnet though, the shotshell primers stick to it but the pistol primers don't.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

In the back shop I have four 55 gal barrels with handles welded on them.

They are for steel, aluminum, copper/brass, and lead.

Of course, I turn the lead back into bullets for my own use.

I sell them off as they get full when the prices are decent.

Many moons ago I just threw those burnt primers out and scattering them on the driveway like gravel. :lol:

Mustang Gregg

I knew me being a hoarder would pay off some day! My grandpappy always said don't throw that away, you may be able to find a use for it sometime. Spent primers? Yup, trade them for cash! :lol:

Guest Texas Jack Black

What metal are you being paid for?? I have sold scrap to many dealers and none of them will take primers

What metal are you being paid for?? I have sold scrap to many dealers and none of them will take primers

The metal is brass... just like your split cases...

In my area.. we have about 3-4 salvage metal yards... only one will take the split cases and primers..

I don't turn in shotgun primers either... I looked at them and figured too much metal...

Just rifle and pistol primers..

Rance <_<

thinkin' I hope this helps :blush:

It's hard for me to believe that a scrap dealer is dunb enough to pay that kind of money for what is basically STEEL!!! The battery cup of most modern primers is Steel as are the primer cups. This is the preponderance of their weight. Makes no sense at all.

RBK

Put a magnet to them primers and then tell us again they is steel................Them junkers must be plum stupid payin $1.90 for primers LOL Bandit

Archived