SASS Wire Forum

Craig's List vs Ebay

Rather than holding a garage sale my lovely bride wants to get jiggy with it and sell her stuff in the internet. This will be our first time and need your suggestions. My bro-in-law had success with Trades in Craigslist but wifey wants cash. She also wants to only sell to local folks. Do y'all have any comments about craigslist.com?

Around here there is not much in the newspaper, everything is on craigs list, I know some people that have sold stuff on craigs list with no problems, just make sure to say cash only with pick up, that way there is no shipping unless you decide to ship, but kind of hard to get cash, I would go with cash only myself, to many people out of work and writing bad checks, there are quite a few low lifes on craigs list if you get my meaning.

I would go for it, if the price is right, it will go fast, just make sure there are other adults around, remember the craig list killer, I know that was a totally differnt deal, but now a days, you never know

All for now JD Trampas

Craigslist works fairly well for typical items that you might otherwise sell at a garage sale. It does not work as well for higher doller more specialized items. In your listing, put pictures if possible, a price, area of the city, and terms such as CASH ONLY. Be aware that you may wind up with several bogus emails from spammers because of the CL listings, you can often spot them as they are "very interested in your item" and never say what the item is other that exactly what was in the title of your listing. Another scam email I get in relation to a CL listing I had offers me a new computer as part of some promotion claiming to be the president of CL. Totally bogus. If you have a number of things, put up a listing for each, but at the bottom mention the other items, lots easier if you can get one person to buy more than one thing. If your prices are firm, say so up front or expect some haggling. Actually you'll probably get haggling even with firm prices, everyone likes to feel like they got a great deal. Oh, one more note that is very important, don't fall into the trap of trying to hold something for someone who 'can't get over to see it until Friday' state in your listing first one with cash in hand buys it. I've held things for people and held off other buyers only to have the guy back out, and by then the other buyers had found other sellers.

For collectibles and higher dollar more specialized things, you want a larger audience, something like ebay, but that comes with a price. I typically priced my items so that the shipping and handling made up for part of the cut I had to give to ebay and paypal, but some folks hate it when you do that.

My experience is that Craig's List will work better for you when looking for local buyers and eBay is better for a national market and higher priced items.

CB

I agree with the last two posts. Craigslist will work, but be ready to wade through a few scams in the process. :angry:

I've been trying to sell an Onan RV generator and so far have had maybe two serious inquiries out of about 20 responses. :blink:

eBAY wouldn't really work as the darn thing weighs almost 200 pounds, way to heavy to ship.:huh:

We have one down my way called southeasttexas.com It work really good for me.

I agree with the last two posts. Craigslist will work, but be ready to wade through a few scams in the process. :angry:

I've been trying to sell an Onan RV generator and so far have had maybe two serious inquiries out of about 20 responses. :blink:

eBAY wouldn't really work as the darn thing weighs almost 200 pounds, way to heavy to ship.:huh:

I bought my Onan generator for my living quarter horse trailer on eBay a year ago. I got lucky as it was only 50 miles from me. Went there, tested it and took it home.

CB

Craigslist works fairly well for typical items that you might otherwise sell at a garage sale.

For collectibles and higher dollar more specialized things, you want a larger audience, something like ebay, but that comes with a price.

I have used both. Craigs list buyers are pretty much what you would expect from garage sale buyers. Expect to dimiss some real low offers.

EBay will eat you up in fees. If a buyer files a complaint Paypal will take the entire purchase price plus shipping out of your account. They also tack on $25 to $50 for them selves as a processing fee which you will never get back.

Rather than holding a garage sale my lovely bride wants to get jiggy with it and sell her stuff in the internet. This will be our first time and need your suggestions. My bro-in-law had success with Trades in Craigslist but wifey wants cash. She also wants to only sell to local folks. Do y'all have any comments about craigslist.com?

Sometimes it is easier to just donate it and wright it off on taxes...My two cents...

Texas Lizard

I think Craig's List works fine, but I am concerned that the last time I tried it, they required I give them my phone number to do it. I didn't give it, because I didn't want them to start solicitous phone calls.

Sometimes, if you wouldn't get much for the item on a sale, anyway, and depending on your situation otherwise, it may work as well to donate the items to a non-profit, and take the tax write-off.

Craigs list is local, and I have had a lot of good experiences. I have been told to be careful, but that I guess is must good advice about anyplace on t he internet.

Archived