SASS Wire Forum

Hey, Colt Collectors

Alpo

Over to another board I frequent, there's a guy asking about a Colt he just bought. I told him I thought he got snookered.

Colt SAA, with a black powder frame. It had been reblued by Colt, so they gave it a new serial number - SA9xxxx. He gave the whole number, but I forgot it and am too lazy to go look.

I told him I had never heard of Colt (or any other maker, for that matter) putting a new SN on a gun when they did a repair. If they could not fix your old gun, they might take a new "un-numbered" gun and put your number on it, and send it to you as a replacement, but they would not take your old number off and put a new number on.

I've got a pair of ASM clones with the black powder frame, and their SNs start with SA. So I told him I thought someone sold him an Italian gun.

What's it sound like to y'all? Is his story of Colt renumbering the gun 'cause they refinished it possible?

:wacko:

I had Colt rebuild and re-plate a Second Gen Colt. The only part of the gun they would not touch was the serial number. Everything else was buffed and restamped as needed before the new nickel plating was applied.

Sounds like he bought into someone's tall tales.

I could be wrong but, I was always under the impression that once a serial number was stamped on a gun, no body could tamper with that serial number, not even the manufacturer. But I have been wrong before

I had a Great Western 2 that my gunsmith said waz so close to a real Colt, that he could in no time at all make it a "Colt" that almost no one could tell. (he had all the roll, and stamps. Makes ya wonder...

curley

Sounds "Fishy" to me . I've had one Colt that I beleive had the frame replaced by Colt . The serial was in

the BP style range but the frame was a crospin style . The size of the #s was noticably different also . I can't

prove it was a factory refinsh but the original trigger gard had Colts VP proof stamped into it .

Regards,

Train Robber

Well, he called Colt and they told him it was made in 1989.

If it is, in fact, a Colt with that SN, then yes, that's the right year. But my wonder is did Colt make 3rd Generations with black powder frames, back then? I know they've made occasional runs of them, recently, but that long ago?

I'm still thinking it's a remarked Italian. Heck, I could call Colt, tell 'em I've got a SAA with a serial number of SA213xx, and they'd probably give me (or more likely, sell me) a "made on" date of around '82. Wouldn't make my gun a Colt, though. If the Colt with that numbered happened to be a BCC 5 1/2" 44/40, though, it would make it much easier to convince someone mine was a Colt.

Colt does not, and has never re-numbered frames. If he calls them they'll tell him that.

Colt does not, and has never re-numbered frames. If he calls them they'll tell him that.

:ph34r: WHAT BOB SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!! :excl:

What Bob said!

Roy

Well, he called Colt and they told him it was made in 1989.

If it is, in fact, a Colt with that SN, then yes, that's the right year. But my wonder is did Colt make 3rd Generations with black powder frames, back then? I know they've made occasional runs of them, recently, but that long ago?

I'm still thinking it's a remarked Italian. Heck, I could call Colt, tell 'em I've got a SAA with a serial number of SA213xx, and they'd probably give me (or more likely, sell me) a "made on" date of around '82. Wouldn't make my gun a Colt, though. If the Colt with that numbered happened to be a BCC 5 1/2" 44/40, though, it would make it much easier to convince someone mine was a Colt.

Pretty sure they did make a short run. In fact, Colt offered the Peacemaker Centennial (2nd gen guns) in BP frames...a commemorative but true to the originals in every regard except for the centennial markings.

+ howsomever many!

I admit little knowledge about Colts, but I did find this one on Gunbroker with a SA719xxx SN manufactured in 1989 with a BP frame. They are selling it with the Colt Factory letter.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=245027770

Mingo

That gun belongs to Sass # 36 Wes Turner. He used to be known as Hickok for about 10 years. Early days at Coto de Caza Calif. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Archived