SASS Wire Forum

Any SASS Truckers out there?

Clay Mosby

:FlagAm: Hey Folks, we got any Truckers out there in the Saloon?

I'm considering a career change and would like to talk to a couple folks iin the business.

If you'd be willing to talk, please send me a PM.

Looking hard to get off unemployment! :FlagAm:

:FlagAm: Hey Folks, we got any Truckers out there in the Saloon?

I'm considering a career change and would like to talk to a couple folks iin the business.

If you'd be willing to talk, please send me a PM.

Looking hard to get off unemployment! :FlagAm:

I am not a trucker but I weigh trucks... in a gravel pit.

Right now with the economy as it is lots of my regulars are now in N dakota working their trucks in the oil patch. Its a long wayfrom here. I wouldn't suggest it.

Clay Darlin',

I'm very worried about this choice for you. Yesterday, I told Filly that I've worked with several truck drivers (jobs in another life). Back problems are a big issue. This was many years back. Now, if trucks today ride as smooth as sedans, you may be okay. Otherwise, I think it is a bad fit for you.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

:wub:

Allie

Wow, thanks for all the positive support folks! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, I've looked at the oppportunities out here and they're good. And yes AM, a lot of them do ride like sedans.:)

A class "A" CDL is not easy to get in Ca. Unless the company is willing to train you it's going to cost $$$.

If you like being away from home for weeks at a time, then it's an OK job.

I held a class "A" for over 25 years and now some of the endorsements are a PAIN to get(Tanker/Haz-mat).

I would do a "ride-along" and see if it is what you want to do. Winter is another world, BTW.

Cheers,

LG

Been driving off and on since '77. If you like being away from home 3 weeks each month, worrying about how you're gonna make the next payment (insurance, registration, taxes, truck payment), love bad food, enjoy sitting in one place while your back aches, have a fondness for paperwork, are not bothered by the other lousy drivers on the road etc then long haul trucking is for you! ;)

A better choice (to begin with) is to find either short haul runs using someone elses equipment or local runs for a delivery company. As stated winter is a whole nother world.

If you don't already have a CDL or the company you are gonna work for does not have its own certified training program, your upfront costs can be substantial.

If you are gonna buy your own rig they don't come cheap, I just bought a pair of Freightliners and they are well used yet still cost $45K each.

All that said, I would not trade the experience for anything. By the time I was 25 I had been in every state in the USA except Alaska and Hawaii. I had seen the sunrise on both coasts, eventually tried Joes Crab Shack food (wonderful at the time) been to Ron Jon's Surf Shop, watched the fog come and go in San Fran, drove past fields of corn and wheat that went on forever and a thousand other tastes of life that many don't get. The money can be very good as well but sometimes not.

Trucking is definately worth checking out but it just as definately is not a bed of roses.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Thanks for the input folks.

GK, have no desire to own my own rig. Plan would be to look for a job with acompany running either the I-5 corridor or the 3-5 western states. Then after a year or so, start looking at something more local. To get the license I've picked a school and have applied for a scholarship to pay for fit.

This isn't something I had intended to do for a long time, but rather I was forced to look at alternative careers by the wonderful job market out there. (Not!) I found myself in the position of needing a job and knowing that opportunities in my current field were vitrually non-existant for someone with my skill set. So I started asking myself what would I like to do if I had the opportunity to switch, and this came out at the top of the list for a lot of reasons.

Just make sure you can pass a DOT physical before you start school. In my clinic I have had the misfortune of telling 3 people in the last two months that they have medical conditions that disqualify them from obtaining a CDL after they had finished the 6 week school.

CPK

I have recently retired from about 50 years in the trucking industry. Feel free to email me if you would like more detailed information. Here are a few tips for getting started.

1. Even at your own expense, make an appointment with a Doctor that administers D.O.T. physicals. Take the physical and get a medical card stating you are qualified under D.O.T. rules and regulations.

2. Do a search on the computer and find the driving schools in your area. Then do another search on the trucking companies in your area.

3. Call the schools and see what financial help is available, they will be familiar with any and all avenues of grants, pells, etc.

4. Ask each school for percentage of students that pass/fail the CDL driving test at the end of the school term. If they have a high failure rate you may want to consider a different school. You can double check what they tell you by asking the same question to the individual or company that administers the CDL test for the state.

5. Call the companies and ask if they hire students, because even though you have passed a physical (if you didn't you shouldn't have wasted your time in driving school). You also need to know the following.

a. how long of a training period do they have, weeks, miles, etc

b. do you have an option of trainers

c. how are you paid while training

d. how many miles will you drive a week in training

e. some companies will reimburse you for some or all of your school cost if you stay with them for a fixed amount of time. Be sure to ask if tuition reimbursement is available

f. how long do you have to driver over the road before you have a chance at a short haul or local area run. These are extremely hard to get as the most senior driver usually gobble them up as they become available.

6. Be sure you understand what you are really making when you are told you will get so much per mile, and benefits. Also, find out how much you will be paying for benefits.

One thing that is kinda universal is that most companies will not hire a new driver without about a year of over the road driving experience, so you will have to figure on putting in that much time with the company that trains you. While it is true the newer tractors drive and ride better than most cars, not all companies have new tractors, most will start you out in their older equipment - because you are a new driver you are most likely to have an accident.

I AM YELLING NOW SO I GET YOUR ATTENTION. RUN LIKE HELL FROM THE COMPANY THAT WANTS TO SELL AND FINANCE A TRACTOR TRAILER FOR YOU! Best of luck.

Hi Clay, . . . after many different jobs, . . 2 careers. Retiring early from the last of those and needing at least some income. I had a careful look a few years back at economic situation that I saw and how I thought it would continue to develop. ( I was very right about what I saw happening. ) I looked at the things I knew how to do that I could do to generate income, eliminated the ones that required more work than I wanted to be doing as my age advanced. Had a little experience driving big trucks and saw that as the best way to both generate income without to much physical work and to count on being able to continue to generate income as the economic situation deteriorated further ( which is has been doing. ) I'm sending you more specific information about current training and jobs in a P.Message.

Wolfgang . . .

Former Artist, Circus Performer, construction forman, Shipbuilder, Iron worker, professional therapist, Anatomy instructor, pipe fitter, ( I'm sure i've forgot a few :huh: ), . . . and now semi retired and a part time truckdriver :)

Archived