SASS Wire Forum

Just Checking--Penalty for bringing a Lightning to the line with an open action

You guys must be talking about Italian copies of Lightnings. I have a real Colt Lightning rifle in 38-40 and the ONLY way to

load it is with the action closed. I tried to open the action and load it, but the loading gate won't budge. Close the action, drop the hammer, the loading gate works perfectly. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Jake, I have 2 originals and the action has to be open to load. Open action, load, close action, drop hammer.

REALLY? Accidentally grab the slide when staging the rifle and it chambers a round that's loose in the carrier. That's safer than action closed and hammer down? NO... it's not... nor is it a better competitive position. In fact, one could argue the same thing with any lever gun. OPEN ACTION is not safer than simply closed/ hammer down on empty chamber.

I suggest you review the actual functioning of a Lightning. It does not have a round on the carrier if loaded from an open/empty position. The action must be closed, hammer brought down AND THEN CYCLED to bring a round on the carrier.

This is getting into Scarecrow territory..........

I suggest you review the actual functioning of a Lightning. It does not have a round on the carrier if loaded from an open/empty position. The action must be closed, hammer brought down AND THEN CYCLED to bring a round on the carrier.

This is getting into Scarecrow territory..........

Nawwww... think I'll pass. From what I've seen the Lightning is a Jam-O-Matic loooking for a sucker. And honestly, I couldn't give to craps from a sea cow whether the round is loose, held in carrier, clipped, magazine, sprung or rattling like a turd in a bucket; the rule is as AA says, "TOO SIMPLE".

So just do it.

SDQ- Next shooter.

Jake, I have 2 originals and the action has to be open to load. Open action, load, close action, drop hammer.

You know something? Your RIGHT. I just went and got it out and checked it. Action closed, no loading. Action OPEN, and loading works. How about that! My Dad always said "Caution, engage brain before shifting mouth in gear" Guess I should have listened better. So I learned something today, how about that. Thanks for making me look. Just sayin'

Big Jake

So...OK, the Lightning has to be open to load, but, can the action can be closed without a round chambering? If so, then what is so hard about the shooter remembering lower the hammer down with an empty chamber....??

G ( who knows nothing about the Lightning)G ~ :FlagAm:

I don't own a Lightning rifle, so I'm not 100% positive, but is your statement correct for a Lightning?

As I understand, you must open the action to load the magazine. Then you close it and there is not a round in the chamber.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/uberti_lightning_rifles.htm

P.S.

Sorry, I thought I'd check for updated posts before I posted this..

So...OK, the Lightning has to be open to load, but, can the action can be closed without a round chambering? If so, then what is so hard about the shooter remembering lower the hammer down with an empty chamber....??

G ( who knows nothing about the Lightning)G ~ :FlagAm:

After loading and closing the chamber, dropping the hammer there is no round in the chamber. Usually anyone who shoots one all the time gets into the Lightning way of opperating the rifle. In 6 years I have forgot to close the action once. Spotted it before I got to the firing line.

You know something? Your RIGHT. I just went and got it out and checked it. Action closed, no loading. Action OPEN, and loading works. How about that! My Dad always said "Caution, engage brain before shifting mouth in gear" Guess I should have listened better. So I learned something today, how about that. Thanks for making me look. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Hey Jake when I first got mine I took it to Rowdy Yates 'cause I thought it was broke. Couldn't load anything. He tells me "Ya gotta open the action first." Boy did I feel like a dummy. :blush::blush::blush:

After loading and closing the chamber, dropping the hammer there is no round in the chamber. Usually anyone who shoots one all the time gets into the Lightning way of opperating the rifle. In 6 years I have forgot to close the action once. Spotted it before I got to the firing line.

Thanks - bet they are a hoot to shoot :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Thanks - bet they are a hoot to shoot :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

They are! :excl:

Been shooting my AWA for more than a handful of years(after 5 is: a bunch: can't shift counting fingers without losing count :lol: )

Always carried to line closed with hammer all the way down. Rule made sense; rifle is ready to rock. Never thought about doing any thing else. Learned to make sure hammer was all the way down with my Marlin after having it pointed out to me a couple of times. :o

Marty( who always shoots Lightning) Mudd :FlagAm:

The Lightining rifle to load, the action must be opened, when opening the action, the bolt comes back and this causes the hammer to be pushed back and held there.

GOT THAT BROTHER,SIMPLE ENOUGH FOR YOU SOFAR.

After loading, the action is usually closed and the hammer is let down slowly, the chamber is empty.

However, if the action is left open,there is no cartridge on the carrier, the hammer is back and the gun cant be fired because the bolt is holding the hammer back. This rifle is as safe as can be.

NOW BROTHER KING, TOGETHER the hammerblah

The Lightining is a different rifle, either way the gun is safe and a rule evidently is going to have to be made.

In my opinion it should be stated, users of Lightining rifles after loading must close the action and slowly lower the hammer.

NOW BRO.... ^_^

The Lightining is a different rifle, either way the gun is safe and a rule evidently is going to have to be made.

In my opinion it should be stated, users of Lightining rifles after loading must close the action and slowly lower the hammer....

The current rule already requires the hammer to be down on an empty chamber when moving from the loading table to the stage.

The penalty for failure to do so is a SDQ.

This applies to ALL models of rifles.

The current rule already requires the hammer to be down on an empty chamber when moving from the loading table to the stage.

The penalty for failure to do so is a SDQ.

This applies to ALL models of rifles.

And since there is nothing about the Lightning that prevents this rule from being followed, there is no need to make a rule change.

Think abou it. By the logic of some posts above, one could have a rule allowing rifles with crossbolt safeties to use the safety in lieu of a hammer down, etc, etc. But the current, one size fits all rule works, makes working the LT simpler, and there's no reason to parse it further.

BUT, if you follow it logically, loaded, action open, you can TELL the rifle is safe, and afer loading and closing the bolt...?? is it chambered or not? More movement by the shooter seems to be the only penalty.

Eli

PWB like I said, action closed hammer down :)

read that...was commenting on the statement, "...a rule evidently is going to have to be made."

No need...already have one.

;)

Archived