SASS Wire Forum

Thinking about buying an SKS.

Dusty Hill, sass # 49256

An AK-47 would look pretty cool for a bit more dollars. A Yugo M70AB2 underfolder AK-47 would look really cool and it's the cadillac of AK's. Just a sugestion.

jb

An AK-47 would look pretty cool for a bit more dollars. A Yugo M70AB2 underfolder AK-47 would look really cool and it's the cadillac of AK's. Just a sugestion.

jb

True but you really need one of each. Apples and oranges.

Russki ones are hard to find these days. Your best bet is a surplus Yugo model. Info

I'd try and find an earlier one without the grenade launcher on it.

I have a Chinese model but it's an old battlefield pick up I brought back. Replaced the stock.

I don't like the newer Norinco models.

The Russian SKS is probably the most desirable. The Romanian one are know for being very well built. Most of the ones for sale now are going to be Yugoslavian.

There are really no "bad" SKS's. The ones that don't seem to work well are usually due to the owners not cleaning the cosmolene out of the gas tube and bolt or caused by aftermarket magazines. The SKS was not designed for and do not work well with detachable high capacity magazines. If you want that, get an AK.

Some have a screwed in barrel and some a pressed in barrel. Of course, the screwed in is more desirable and more expensive. You can tell which is which by the looking at the barrel-receiver junction. You can see the flats of the barrel nut if it's a screw in. Personally, I don't think it matters.

They are fun guns to have. Got mine in the early 80's when the guns and ammo for them was cheap. Not so any more.

As far as the SKS is concerned the Russisn models are probably the best and right behind them the Polytech/Norinco Chinese models. Later Norinco models are not so good, with the exception of the model D and M versions which accept real AK47 magazines. The Eastern European units are not as good or as uniformly made as the Russian and early Polytech versions, but are better than the later Asian varieties.

As far as AKs go, the Bulgarian Arsenal milled receiver versions have been reviewed as the highest quality and best value.

Don't believe the statement that there are no "Bad" SKS's. The Chinese were pretty cavalier about the guns they sold into the States and some of them would turn into full auto runaways (pull the trigger and all the rounds in the magazine would fire). This has led to at least two deaths that I know of (one lost control of the gun and it pivoted up and shot him/her in the head and the other dropped the gun when it ran away and it shot him/her). I sold hundreds of the Chinese guns without any problems, but its good to know about this and be prepared. If it happens, the best thing to do is just hold on tight and ride it out.

Look for the ones with the machined trigger group instead of stamped steel. If I was buying another I would probably go with a Russian or Romanian.

I ran hundreds of 7.62 through my Norinco with five (5) different TAPCO Hi-Cap mag's and had nary a bobble. None of the half dozen people I know that have them with hi-cap mag's had any problem either. My hand loads and by-the-truckload offbeat ammo included.

Safe trails,

CKid

Don't believe the statement that there are no "Bad" SKS's. The Chinese were pretty cavalier about the guns they sold into the States and some of them would turn into full auto runaways (pull the trigger and all the rounds in the magazine would fire). This has led to at least two deaths that I know of (one lost control of the gun and it pivoted up and shot him/her in the head and the other dropped the gun when it ran away and it shot him/her). I sold hundreds of the Chinese guns without any problems, but its good to know about this and be prepared. If it happens, the best thing to do is just hold on tight and ride it out.

Most of the runaways were caused by people using good ammo. The stuff you buy from the major manufacturers happens to have softer primers that the cheap Ruski stuff. It shouldn't happen no matter what ammo is fired in any gun tho. I installed a firing pin with a return spring on mine. That's supposed to prevent the problem. I also changed the stock, added a scope mount and a short 4X scope. It's a lot of fun to shoot.

I looked at these when searching a whole range of tactical rifles. I ended up getting a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag, cutting the barrel to 16.25", shortening the magazine to six rounds, shrotening the forearm 4", shortening the buttstock 1.5" and adding a 2X shotgun scope.

240 grain XTPs at 1500 fps, 3" groups at 100 yards, able to shoot at indoor ranges, familiar cowboy action and very cool at the range.

All for under $500. And Made in USA!

From my reading the SKS that are converted to take AK magazines seem to have problems. There's a pard who has a MAK-90 (AK-47) for sale here on the wire at a good price.

I guess that I am just biased against modifying the SKS from my surplus rifle collecting days. I have a very nice Yugo M-59 with a tiger-striped stock that was obviously well used in the Serbian conflicts. The metal finish is about 40% and there are three tick marks carved into the top of the grip; maybe the previous owner was keeping score??

I understand that SKS's used to be extemely cheap which made them ideal platforms for modifications. Since the surplus market has almost dried up on them, the price has gone way up for an SKS. In the same time period, the price of Century made AK's of almost every variant have come down. With current prices, it makes more sense to just buy an AK over buying an SKS and adding an aftermarket stock and detachable mag set-up if that is the type of weapon that you want.

Of course, people are free to modify their weapons in anyway that they desire (as long as the ATF says that it is OK). I'll keep mine in original military configuration.

Archived