SASS Wire Forum

Remington 1911

Hud McCoy

Has anyone shot or handled the new Remington 1911. If so, what do you think of it? The one I saw awhile back had Remington stamped on the side, but kind of to big if you know what I mean.

Hud McCoy

I was wondering about those myself.

I've only seen them on a website and didn't notice the giant Remington on the side. I'm not sure I know how I feel about that one. I guess I'll have to see one in person.

Shot a pards this past weekend,Nice gun. This pard does a bit of gun work and I know the condition I shot it in wasn't the way it came from the box. Trigger broke clean at somewhere around two lbs.front sight had been regulated,Nice gun,heck it was like painting a target with bullets. The finishing of the gun had to be one of the best out of the box finish I have seen in a while,reminiscent of the older Colts. A deep blue black that looked as if it was wet,Nice gun. Adios Sgt. Jake

I have one which I really like. My only other 1911 is a Springfield Armory Loaded model. I much prefer the Remington. The spring is much lighter. The only issue I have had with it is that it did not like some ammo I had loaded using plated hollow points. They would not chamber correctly. It is as accurate as I am. It has the advangage of being usable in either the traditional or modern Wild Bunch catagory. To use it in traditional you have to black out the which dots on the sights.

I bought one last week, and after firing 500 rounds I can say that I'm happy with it. I've fired 250 rounds of factory 230 gr FMJ, and 250 rounds (minus a few lost cases) of reloaded 230 gr RNL and some 185 grain SWC using some old HS-6 powder that I had.

OAL for 45 ACP is 1.275, but the remmington 1911 r1 functioned better with an OAL of 1.265.

I'll post some pictures later tonight for the wire.

We've sold 2 of these at the gun shop/range I work at. We have one left. Seems pretty nice to me. Never fired one though. We sold 'em fer around $620.00. Rye

I've put several hundred rounds thru mine. I have 2 very nice 1911's (Wilson work) and I was afraid the rem would be a disappointment. However it works very good. Functions near 100% so far w/reloads (all I shoot). Trigger little stiff but workable. I stoned mine a little and it helped a lot. BUT, rear sights get loose!! Heard it on several pistols. I had to remove set screw, clean up dovetail and run screw back in w/locktite. I'm keeping mine for Wild Bunch, as I think it will run fine. My other 1911's have fiber optic sights which I don't want to mess with. I see many malfunctions at Wild Bunch matches. But I'm tending to blame them on reloads. For reloads get a case checker and run every reload thru it to check sizing and crimp. (I'm a believer in taper crimping).Semi auto's are particular about ammo!

About 2 months ago I was all set to put down $650 at a local gun store for a new Remington. By chance I came across a like new Colt Series 80 Govt. model which is comparable to the Remington, for $30 more. I don't think the Colt had 100 rounds thru it. I liked the trigger pull better on the Colt as it was less "creepy". That's pretty subjective though.

A couple of weeks later I had a chance to try a pard's new Remmie with my ammo. It wouldn't feed, but my Colt did fine. As a matter of fact, I've yet to have feeding issues with the Colt. That's not uncommon between 1911s however.

I'd have been happy with the Remington, but since all my cowboy guns are replicas, I wanted to have at least one that's the genuine article. That's just me. The Remmie appears to be a fine gun.

Have fun shopping!

I LOVE my R1. There are a coupla threads on it over on the SASS WBAS wire. +1 on the loose rear sight. Anyone gets one, first thing ya better do is secure that sight.

So far I've only had a chance to shoot it twice with hardball, no lead. Coupla hunnert rounds with NO malfunctions, misfeeds or ANY blips at all. Before the rear sight fell out it was shooting right where it looked. Haven't got to shoot it since.

It has surely regulated my RIA GI and AO GI to back-up status. For the money, the R1 is one heckuva whale of a gun.

For reloads get a case checker and run every reload thru it to check sizing and crimp. (I'm a believer in taper crimping).Semi auto's are particular about ammo!

Apologies for steering the discussion a little off course, but what 'case checker' works best for this. I've never used one before, but it makes sense.

Here is the L. E. Wilson from Midway

Here is the Lyman Max from Midway

Here is one from Dillon Precision

The comments for the items showed that the LE Wilson checked max dimensions, and the Dillon checked min dimensions. Which is more usefull?

Apologies for steering the discussion a little off course, but what 'case checker' works best for this. I've never used one before, but it makes sense.

Here is the L. E. Wilson from Midway

Here is the Lyman Max from Midway

Here is one from Dillon Precision

The comments for the items showed that the LE Wilson checked max dimensions, and the Dillon checked min dimensions. Which is more useful?

I like the Dillon. If you never want a loaded round to fail to chamber due to being too large, then the Dillon will do that. I have loaded .45 auto for years, but once I got the case gage, I spotted at least two problems that I had not noticed before. (Bulged and oversize bases, and sloppy taper crimp that really didn't take all the belling out). Fixed both of those problems and haven't had a failure to chamber in over 3k rounds.

If you know you have a large chamber, from the description only (not having used one), the Wilson perhaps lets you load as large as you can and still just fit. I like the Dillon size criteria - any round loaded that fits the gage will fit a chamber at minimum SAAMI specs. And I load for more than one gun.

Good luck, GJ

Archived