SASS Wire Forum

Anybody out there in cowboy land

The Ultimate Deer Cartridge - .243

http://www.udarrell.com/ultimate-deer-cartridge-jim-mcswigin.htm

Hunting with the .243 Winchester - Possible the Perfect Deer Round

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/392257/hunting_with_the_243_winchester_possibly.html

Darned good caliber. You should be able to take most N. American game with it. Mild recoil. Reasonable range and power. You can load it to take a 100 gr. bullet at about 3000 fps, and a 70 gr a screaming 3500. Twist is usually 1:9.5 or 1:10. Sometimes you can find a 1:12

As with any other, know its limits and yours.

Haven't shot it in quite a while but I used to use my Winchester Model 100 in 243 for deer and smaller critters (coyotes, antelope, prairie dogs etc) Out to about 300 yards it was quite effective with a 100 grain bullet (I think that was the weight but it has been a while) From a rest with a 4x12 Burris it was considerably more accurate than I was, four shot groups at 100 that could be covered with a dime, at 200 with a quarter. Not sure I would use it for elk but I know that it is capable as my BIL had a Winchester model 88 in 243 and it was the only hunting rifle he owned. He took an elk every year for about 6-7 years that I know of for certain. Better shot than me for sure.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I thank you all for your replies. I have always admired the caliber but I have never shot one. I had an opportunity to purchase a used Remington with scope for around $200.00 several years ago. At the time

my brain said "What are you going to use it for?" I could not answer. I have always been a 30-06 fan and

have a rifle in that caliber. Since I gave up hunting and am too old to run around the hills any more, it would

be more of a toy than anything else.

The mind set was that I have been looking at the .17 HMR caliber and a new .22 LR in a bolt action and I got to thinking on that .243. Sometimes hind sight will just kick your bottom for you.

Anyway, I have a leupold 3 x 9 scope that I do not have mounted on a rifle. I took it off the .30-06 and put iron sights on it. I am looking for a lighter rifle to mount it on.

BMC,

The .243 has served me very well for Oklahoma deer, coyotes, and assorted tree stumps (great recipe for a cedar stump if you are interested). I am saving up a bit now for a new upper for my AR in .243 WSSM.

My experience was with a Savage, 22" barrel, Nosler Ballistic Tip (here), and various powders. The cartridge isn't magic, but it seems that way at times.

My .243 is a "cabin rifle". Stainless single shot with a 4x flip up post/crosshair Bushnell scope. It lives under a mattress. Great little gun for a cabin rifle. Has an 18" (mebbe 16, I'm not sure) barrel, synthetic stock, feels like a BB gun. Nice to throw over your shoulder for a hike in the woods in case some hog comes along that needs killin'. Good short to medium range deer rifle in a pinch. I'm a .30 cal. man at heart and prefer my .30/30, .30/06 or .300 Win Mag for deer, depending on the application, but we have a ground blind my nephew set up for bowhunting where the feeder is some 20 yards from the blind, so it's just the ticket for a short range blind.

I was amazed how little this tiny rifle kicks, even with a .243.

JHC

The cartridge isn't magic, but it seems that way at times.

There is something about the 6mm family that seems that way. Somehow the bullet diameter, length, and weight, all add up just right for superb accuracy. The 6mm PPC pretty much ruled the benchrest community for a number of years (might still be on top, not sure). The .243 turned the 6mm into a multi-purpose hunting round.

There seems to be a pretty good selection for reloading them also.

Somebody posted on another forum, about the folly of all the different bullet weights for the 06 and with only one rate of twist in the barrel, that the accuracy would suffer from it. I believe that the military developed it from a 1:12 twist of the rifling. Granted, that a 220 grain pill or a 125 grain pill would not punch paper quite the same way as a say 150 grain Spitzer Boat tail. I am wondering if the .243 would be affected in the same way? It has a impressive muzzle velocity. And down range at 300 yards the energy is still over 1500.

I just got one about a month ago.

Not sure why. Just wanted one.

Really like it.

Don't really hunt. But know I could if I wanted to with it.

It's main job will be to go to the range and let me bang out 20-30 rounds

and not kill my shoulder.

Which is why I picked the .243 and not the 30-06.

There is also a 58gr Varmint round. 3750fps

This is what I have shot out of it so far.

Glad I picked the .243

Will have to get back with you on the twist.

Don't know. :wacko: will have to look it up.

But got a Mossberg.

Was cheap enough. Just under 300 bucks with scope.

Scope is not much. But for what I wanted it for.

Works great.

Just wanted something I could shoot some and not cost me

much.

Had to scratch that itch once I got to wanting one.

Glad that worked out so well for you, Al. I am kinda in that spot my own self. I was looking at the rimfires.

The .22 LR is a great round, inexpensive to shoot and easy to carry. But then I got the hots for the .17 HMR but after reading about it, I cooled off and went back to the .22 LR. But the .22 is not for 200 yard shooting. I am not certain that I can see 200 yards, but I like to think I can. The .243 should be able to do the 200 yards and then another 200 without a second breath. The .22 can't do that. Of course sitting at the bench and shooting a bench rest target all day does not do it for me, and I guess I am not a gopher hunter. I don't have the killer instinct. Those gophers and prairie dogs never did anything to me. That leaves me with SASS and silhouette. I can't shoot .22 or .243 in SASS and I have never shot silhouette. I doubt that the .243 would be a good round for large caliber silhouettes.

.243 Twist rate (6mm is .243 diameter)

1. Most common is 1 in 10 inch. Good for 85-105 grain bullits.

2. Next most common and very common on 6mm Rem is 1 in 12. good for 60-85 grain bullits.

3. Least common and normal for 6X47 is 1 in 14. excellent for 60 grain and smaller bullits. The 6X47 was an old bench rest cartridge made from a .222 mag necked up to .243. The 6mm PPC put it out of business.

Hope this info is of some help

McKenzie

had one for 30 years now, parker hale mauser action

use speer 85gr boat tail & 90gr spitzer for 285 metre knock down

Thanks for the helpful information, folks. I really appreciate it.

Saltbush, I can relate to your signature line and the targets. That darn Okie Sawbones just won't do it.

Him and Dynamite Dalton are in cahoots.

Had a Mauser in 6mm Rem. 1 in 10 twist. the Remington round was their competition for the Win. 243. Has a little more neck to the case, and holds a scosh more powder. with the 55g Nosler BT and Varget powder, got close to 4,000fps and could put four out of five in a group about the size of my thumbnail at 100 yards off a bi-pod. Made a good AT&T ground hog gun........Buck :blush:

I've had a Browing BAR in .243 since '73. It's always given good accuracy but is VERY picky. It absolutely hates boattail bullets. I've never gotten good accuracy with any boattail with this rifle.

I also have a little Remington 660 Mohawk in .243. It'll shoot 3/4 inch groups with Sierra 85 grain BTHP and Varget powder, and MOA with about anything else I've ever tried in it.

I bought my son a Savage Axis/Edge rifle in .243 for Christmas. The only group I've shot with it was with Hornady factory 75 grain HP's. .882 inches. Can't wait to try some of my reloads in it.

I had a .17HRM for a bit, loved it, but just too expensive to shoot, since you can't reload them little critters.

Unless you're planning on critters bigger than deer, then you just can't go wrong with the .243. And I recommend a Savage rifle for it.

Archived