SASS Wire Forum

Okay, what are you gonna do when someone yells "Stop?"

Mustang Gregg

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Hello, the fire!

This question is kind of a take-off from another post...And I ain't no highjacker.

Let's say you are the shooter who's shooting (partway through the stage) when you hear someone holler "Stop!".

You don't know if it's the TO or not. Do you cease fire or keep shooting?

If it was me (and it's happened before), I'd stop moving and shooting to see what the problem was. And I'd probably stop even if it wasn't the TO.

What have you done? :blink:

What should you do? :blink:

Mustang Gregg

I'd do the same as you...Competition isn't that important to me to risk anything.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I couldn't care less "WHO" yelled "Stop" I would just STOP then see how to proceed ,,,, from that point ....

We had some Dirt-bikers come over the berm at a major shoot into the shooting bay, could have been bad news if a Pard at the loading table hadn't yelled Cease-fire Real loud ...

Though they were Trespassing ,,,,,,, Still it wouldn't look good to shoot them ...

Jabez Cowboy

For me ANY sharp, emphatic command, even if indistinct, means STOP - HOLD - FREEZE - CEASE FIRE if I'm on the firing line. Finger out of the trigger guard, weapon still pointing down range, maintain my down range awareness(since that is where the gun is pointing) but become more aware of what is going on around me. If after a few seconds I don't hear anything else, I lower the weapon and glance around, then ask questions.

You can't undo a mistake with a bullet. Or even a blank.

To show how confusion can spread - at one ACW reenactment we had our artillery on a nice little ridge, good CA grasslands in late April, so it was getting brown. We had done our opening fire by file twice and turned the guns over to the gun sgts. Suddenly someone yelled "FIRE!" My gun was in the process of reloading, as were the guns on either side, we all started looking around, I yelled "CEASE FIRE!", as did a few others. Person again yelled "FIRE!" Everyone else yelled "CEASE FIRE!" Then the guy yelled "No! The GRASS IS ON FIRE!" So we all grabbed our water buckets and put out the (thankfully) small grass fire. After that we decided that the call for a grass fire would be GRASS!

And all this time I thought it was better known as the War of Southern Secession.

Steeldust Dan

Must have been them Northern textbooks or possibly a biased opinionated teacher that taught ya wrong ;)

American Civil War

It was in all the newspapers.

Steeldust Dan

Well, that was so long ago. It can't be important now. :wacko:

Must have been them Northern textbooks or possibly a biased opinionated teacher that taught ya wrong ;)

Nope, pretty sure they tried to secede, and before the North aggressed. However, in reading Jefferson and Madison, I come to the conclusion that the South had the right to do so.

Hi Gregg,

If I didn't know the reason, I would stop, regardless of who yelled. It could be a case of a person in the line of fire. This has happened at a local club that has a levy as a back berm.

I would really prefer that folks yell "cease fire" rather than stop. That way it is obvious what the intent is.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I absolutely agree. "Cease fire" should be the recommended command, but regardless, safety comes first, and safety is every shooter's responsibility.

I would stop immediatly, and then find out why I was stopped. As a TO I would offer the shooter a re-shoot unless is was a severe safety issue, and at that point, as the TO, I have dropped the ball because someone else had to make a call I should have seen. Any way it happens, the shooter should STOP. Bear Creek Reverend

Archived