SASS Wire Forum

Anybody shoot .22 LR on a regular basis?

I took down my Marlin 39A the other day and looked it over.

That set me to thunking, which is never a good thing. But sometimes happens.

SASS doesn't really offer much in the way of small bore shooting. So I was thunking of

looking elsewhere. I see where some of the chicken/pig/turkey shooters are out there

but I am not sure of any in Warshington Slate.

Them .22 LR are a lot easier on the purse strings than shooting even reloads in the .44.

A lot less noise too.

I spoke to the great guru on chicken/pig/turkey/ram shooting, Cherokee Charlie the other day.

He was breaking in some new hardware and got me to thunking. Dang it Charlie. That makes my haid hurt.

Just thunking outloud here.

Well, Okie, Flint and I have some of the metal spinning targets. I think Charlie puts in his bionic eye and bangs away at them clear in the next county.

our local club has special matches on each 5th Saturday when there is one, it allows for an adult .22 category. My first full CAS match I shot .22s, my 39a, my single six, my father in laws single six and a borrowed shotgun. Sadly my MIL wanted my FILs single six sold and I didn't have the cash at the time to buy it, so I haven't shot the .22 category since.

I had the chance to shoot in a couple of small bore national championships had a great time but that sport got way to serious. I still have my Remington 40x sporter. It has a Weaver T30 and a 2 ounce trigger. Its one hell of a tree rat gun

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Hey BMC... I shoot 'bout a brick a month (500)... but not a party to any organized stuff. Me and some pals... ride horses... walk 'round... and target shoot with .22's nearly every week that goes by. A .22 can be used for loads of different kinds of fun... just not good fer nothin' much durin' sex. And not for want of tryin'.

As that fella posted above... yore local organized gun range that has rifle activities (NRA or other) is a good place to start.

Ya know, BMC.... me and you both started here on the Wire 'bout the same time... nine years ago... and our numbers are close. Really have enjoyed readin' all your posts... all this time.

ts

Well, that street runs both ways TS.

I have always considered you a friend and good neighbor.

Oh, I intended to say fiend. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I always enjoy your humor. Did miss you for a while

but figured you had other eggs to fry and we would hear from

you sooner or later. Willie and I talk of you often. Most of it is

good. :lol:

Just don't stay away so long. You got quite a following here, especially

with the ladies. You and Wheelgun both. I feel like I am in the presence

of great Stu....well great something or other. Even got Bobb selling his

ENZYTE all over the Saloon. What in the wide world of sports is going on.

Hey TS, you need to get a client with an operation up in the Northwet so you can come visit. I bought you lunch when we met down your way, now it's Badger's turn to buy us both lunch!

You know I always will have your back pard.

WW

Hay Badger,

Check your local sportsmans club. I just finished a winter .22 Sporter Rifle Postal League. 21 matches shot once a week. Clubs all over the state partisipate. It,s NRA sanctioned. The club also hosts CMP .22 LR matches on per with the High power rifle matches but at 50 or 100 yards. Those are 3 position matches. There are also those pigs and chicken matches too. Our CAS club also has the occasional .22 side match, or posse shoot off.

Dutchman

PETA will undoubtedly be all over my case for this one, but my idea of a GREAT time with a .22 is going out to the alfalfa fields and shooting "squeekies" (i.e. California Ground Squirrel). They can devastate a hay crop in no time, and they are an absolute "kick in the pants" to shoot. We set up a couple shooting tables, sit there with a couple bricks of .22 ammo, some snacks, and a soda or two, and have the time of our lives. You can literally sit in one spot for a few hours and you still won't clean out a field. The magical thing about this whole process is that when you come back the next morning, the field is clean...no squeekies. The coyotes, hawks and eagles take care of the mess so you have a virtual "clean slate," so to speak, for the next day. :)

Squeekie

Was planning on going "squeekie" hunting this next week, but the temperature where we hunt is supposed to be 18 degrees with plenty of wind, snow, and ice. Hmmm...think I might wait a few more weeks.

Funny you should mention that caliber...

I was a hangin at the toy store today an I look over an see this odd lookin duck!

I gets me paws on it to find out it's a 85 low wall in .22! Very cool!!!

Cherokee Charlie is the master of the .22!

PETA will undoubtedly be all over my case for this one, but my idea of a GREAT time with a .22 is going out to the alfalfa fields and shooting "squeekies" (i.e. California Ground Squirrel). They can devastate a hay crop in no time, and they are an absolute "kick in the pants" to shoot. We set up a couple shooting tables, sit there with a couple bricks of .22 ammo, some snacks, and a soda or two, and have the time of our lives. You can literally sit in one spot for a few hours and you still won't clean out a field. The magical thing about this whole process is that when you come back the next morning, the field is clean...no squeekies. The coyotes, hawks and eagles take care of the mess so you have a virtual "clean slate," so to speak, for the next day. :)

Squeekie

Was planning on going "squeekie" hunting this next week, but the temperature where we hunt is supposed to be 18 degrees with plenty of wind, snow, and ice. Hmmm...think I might wait a few more weeks.

Actually, Slim, it ain't all coyotes, hawks, and owls.

Them li'l varmints are cannibals! :blink: I've seen 'em drag a wounded or shot buddy into a hole for lunch! :unsure:

Narsty li'l critters... but funner'n the dickens to shoot~! ^_^ And the .22 is my personal favorite "toy" for taggin' the rascals...!

So, in AZ i was able to carry a pistol with snake shot in it, 22LC. I just bought a little single shot derringer and I have to buy the shorts for it per JJJ"s. I am thinking I might buy some snake shot too. Not sure about the laws in CA yet. In AZ a varment hunting license pretty much was a get in to the desert shotting card.. lol. My dad has some land up around wild horse wash, so I hope I can at least shoot up there, or on BLM land if I buy a varment license and study the regs so I am hunthing the right varment at the right time.. lol. Mostly I just want to go play with my gun out in the desert and explore a bit. The gun keeps me safe. Even a one shot derringer helps! So i can go look around, and still have protection against snakes. I have had a few very close calls with diamond backs and mohaves in AZ. So, I like to be prepared. But I gotta read the hunting regs for here before I go out this spring walking around in the desert. A nice topo map would be help full too.. lol.. Cetainly no one could object to a little protection that gives the snakes a chance .. right? lol

Actually, Slim, it ain't all coyotes, hawks, and owls.

Them li'l varmints are cannibals! :blink: I've seen 'em drag a wounded or shot buddy into a hole for lunch! :unsure:

Narsty li'l critters... but funner'n the dickens to shoot~! ^_^ And the .22 is my personal favorite "toy" for taggin' the rascals...!

You're absolutely right, Hardpan. I guess they must be pretty resourceful. I mean, after eating alfalfa all day, anybody would appreciate a little meat in their diet. Right? Might as well eat Uncle Esau who just got shot. No use wasting a good, fat little carcass. :lol:

Okay, Hardpan, now you got me going. Here's how you shoot squeekies with a .22. (Dang...PETA will really be after me after watching this.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K2tXcVS45U

:D:D:D Looks like a couple of them shots were magnums.

Around here the ones that pop up from underground are a might bigger. We call em whistle pigs.

But them little squeekies sure look like fun target practice. :P

I shoot those North Dakota Springtail Gophers in Montana. I use a Ruger 10/22 with CCI Stingers. Blow most of them to pieces.

You are right. They are meat eaters. Meet your uncle and eat! The field is clear the next day, but the gophers are always back.

HAW~!! Slim, that was plumb great!! :lol:

I'm reminded of ol' Hank callin' me up one afternoon 'bout 35 years ago and invitin' me to go squirrel shootin' with 'im. Seems he had a brand new .22-250 and wanted to show off a bit.

Well, I didn't have a proper squirrel gun back then, so showed up with the only long-range shooter I had: my Ruger M-77 chambered for "Three-Hunnert Winchester Manglums..." And of course, I brought along a bunch of special "squirrel loads," 150gr Sierra BTHP's comin' out at better'n 3,000 fps.

So ol' Hank sets out to demonstrate his fancy squirrel gun. He spots a likely critter, gets settled in, aims... "Bang!" Instead of the critter vaporizing like Hank had promised, it simply fell over dead. Huh!

Okay. My turn. I spot one, settle the crosshairs on 'im, and Ka-WHOOOM!!

Hank stared through his spotting scope for a bit, then announced "Ya missed 'im."

"Are ya sure?"

"Yup. He must've ducked back into his hole. Well wait a spell for him to come back out."

After stoking my pipe and lighting it, I sais "Oh hell... I'm gonna walk over and see."

"Nuttin' to see!" sez Hank. "Like I told ya... he's gone to ground!"

Not exactly. When we walked up to his mound, there were bits of fur scattered about, and a bunch of red postage-stamp sized flakes of meat adorning the overhanging branches of a nearby tree. ^_^

Uh... that ruger was retired from squirrels, and replaced with a Savage .223 and my personal favorite, a .22 LR MAS training rifle with iron sights. It's fun to give the boogers a chance... albeit a slim one~! :rolleyes:

Yep, a .300 Win. Mag. will definitely "shake their day up," so to speak...literally as well as figuratively.

I usually use my Ruger M7722 with my 10/22 as a backup. I also have about eight magazines loaded up and ready to go. When I shoot one dry, I pop another one in until I'm out of magazines. Then I take a soda break and refill all eight magazines and start over. Ahhh, the life of leisure! Doesn't get much better than that when you're talking about shooting .22's.

I figure after my next trip out in a few more weeks, I'll probably have enough squeekie hides to make my wife a full-length coat with matching handbag. It's gonna be a surprise for her birthday. :lol:

The guy that owns the range where we shoot has a rimfire range set up next to our range. He has a rimfire shoot the day before our shoot. Maybe you could get enough friends interested to get something started. We have a blast. Ruger has also started a shooting series called the Ruger Rimfire Challenge. You might google it and find something close. BTW, our local range has landed the state championship for the Ruger Rimfire Challeng, but the date has not been set.

Thank you for the kind words. Guru?-----hardly-----22 nut---now I will fess up to that one. Am I over stocked with very fine 22 rifles and scopes--guilty. (foolish is a better word) I think I have finally settled on what I need to play this game with.

We shot our long range shoot today (out to 212 yds) and because the management threw in the mini rams at the 212 yd line not one 40x was shot in the 17 cal. Yours truly took 1st place with a 38 and Cantankerous Tom with a 37 was 2nd. Then he shot a 40x with the Squirrel gun and I shot a 39x. We broke a record today with 38 entries. We had one shooter shoot two 40x's (Ron York) and (David Cote) one 40x. The weather was beautiful.

A lot of our cowboy and cowgirl shooters shoot the Extreme Rimfire game with us. We are really having fun with this game.

BTW The Ruger Steel Challenge is on the calender for July 16th at Caverns Cove--Alabama. You won't want to miss this one. I am trying to get a group from Georgia to go over and bring home some of the money. Ooooops! trophies!!!!!!!;

CC

"Anybody shoot .22 LR on a regular basis?"

I've tried. I just can't figure out how to keep the 22s in the cylinder of my 45... :(

"Anybody shoot .22 LR on a regular basis?"

I've tried. I just can't figure out how to keep the 22s in the cylinder of my 45... :(

Try a little putty. That should hold them in the holes.

Came home today from an indoor CAS .22 match at the Jefferson Outlaws Club in PA. We had 17 shooters and shot six stages with two pistols and a rifle using paper targets. Had a great time. If you have access to an indoor range, it helps get through the winter, plus gives an excuse to buy more guns. They encourage folks to loan guns to shooters that don't have a complete outfit. The MD pairs folks up and it works quite well. There is no reload concern about loaning equipment as everyone brings standard .22 ammo.

CC, you answered a question I just sent in an e-mule. You shoot seperate matches with .17's and 22's. Are there different rules for each?

Archived