SASS Wire Forum

I, Sniper

Andrew Quigley SASS #32802

Found this book on tape at the Library the other day. Enjoyed it quite alot. Now ya'll are wondering what it has to do with CAS. Well it seems Stephen Hunter found out a little about CAS and used it in his book. Now he didn't get it entirely right, he had a charcter shooting Senior blackpowder duelist loading his 44-40's with 14 grs. of Bullseye, but at least he tried.

The rest of the book was great and had several surprises in it. Now that I've found his books I'll have to try some of his others.

My father in-law introduced me to Stephen Hunter a few years ago. He is a Washington Post reporter who is also quite pro-gun. I wonder how he keeps his day job. :lol:

He occasionally does pieces for the American Rifleman. I have yet to find one of his books that I didn't like, and I think I've read most of them. They vary from a "good" read to "can't-put-it-down" fantastic!

it is the Bob Lee Swagger character that they made into a movie called Shooter staring Mark Wahlberg, not a bad movie

Rafe :FlagAm:

Course the movie was loosely based on the "Point of Impact" novel which is the first Bob Lee Swagger novel. Most of these are pretty decent reads.

it is the Bob Lee Swagger character that they made into a movie called Shooter staring Mark Wahlberg, not a bad movie

Rafe :FlagAm:

Different story, same character much later in his life, Yep, good read,chuckled over the CAS references... especially the 10-second miss penalty!

My father in-law introduced me to Stephen Hunter a few years ago. He is a Washington Post reporter who is also quite pro-gun. I wonder how he keeps his day job. :lol:

He occasionally does pieces for the American Rifleman. I have yet to find one of his books that I didn't like, and I think I've read most of them. They vary from a "good" read to "can't-put-it-down" fantastic!

Hunter was the movie reviewer for the Washington Post. Now a full time writer. He has written a number of books on Bob Lee Swagger and his father,a Marine MOH winner and Arkansas State Trooper, as well. Most of them are pretty good.

Hunter had a piece in the Post in the last few days about high capacity magazines.

Tex

I've read most of Stephen Hunter's books and enjoyed most of them. He is one fiction author that actually knows about guns. It drives me crazy when I read a book and it is obvious that the author has no clue what he is talking about when it comes to firearms. "Point of Impact" is probably my favorite book. When I first read it (20 years ago??), I thought that it would make a great movie. "Shooter" was a decent movie, but it really doesn't do the book justice.

The funny thing is that "I Sniper" is really what got me interested in CAS. At the time, I was really into long range precision rifle shooting and had joined a club with a 1,000 yard range. I read "I Sniper" and thought that the CAS thing sounded pretty silly, but fun. When I discovered that my club held SASS matches every month, I started researching it. I haven't shot my precision rifles since ;).

I also found Stephen Hunbter and have read most of his books as he seems to know a lot about guns and can keep the reader involved. I have downloaded most of his books on my Kindle reader (from Amazon). A couple of his books are not available on Kindle, so bought the used paper backs from Amazon for $.01 cent each plus shipping. Great way to get good books anytime you want without having to try and find them at Wally World. Stonewall

Quigley, I'd suggest going to youtube and doing a search for his name. I had once seen an interview with him and hoped I would find something there for you (and others) to take a look at. I was not disappointed. I found bunches. Here's a primer.

Different story, same character much later in his life, Yep, good read,chuckled over the CAS references... especially the 10-second miss penalty!

Ten second miss penalty? Maybe he got some of his information from NCOWS. We have a 10 second penalty for a miss in that. I got the book I, Sniper the other day but have not read it yet....maybe will start on it tomorrow when it's too nasty and icy to do anything outside!

My favorite book of his- Pale Horse Coming. Earl Swagger goes after the bad guys with a "possee" that includes Bill Jordan, Elmer Keith, and Audie Murphy. Not with the real names, of course. How can you get better than that? (Well, knockin' off Jane Fonda comes close!)

Ten second miss penalty? Maybe he got some of his information from NCOWS. We have a 10 second penalty for a miss in that. I got the book I, Sniper the other day but have not read it yet....maybe will start on it tomorrow when it's too nasty and icy to do anything outside!

When I started shooting SASS in '94 we had 10 second misses, even at the Texas Tenhorns. (all over TX, AR & OK.)

Ringo

if i remember right he,s also pulitzer prize winner have read most of his books but not new ones first was master sniper based on real wwII history

gabby

Actually, Stephen is no longer employed by the Washington Post, but occasionally contributes articles and op-ed's. He had an op-ed in Sunday's edition on why we need 32 round pistol magazines.

Archived