SASS Wire Forum

Just got back from the range, had an interesting conversation...

The Original Bad Bob

...with one of the guys at the club. This guy is not just any guy, he's one of the main guys, organizes a lot of matches, been around for ever, has a reputation as a very good guy with an encyclopedic knowledge of all things firearms related. He was shooting a cool old Yugoslavian Mauser with hand loaded ammo... anyway, to get to my point (and I do have one) I asked him if he ever did any CAS and he said no, not anymore, not since they required you belong to SASS, and made you wear boots and funny pants. :lol:

So, I guess it's not for everyone, not every die hard shooter wants to do it.

That's OK with me.

...with one of the guys at the club. This guy is not just any guy, he's one of the main guys, organizes a lot of matches, been around for ever, has a reputation as a very good guy with an encyclopedic knowledge of all things firearms related. He was shooting a cool old Yugoslavian Mauser with hand loaded ammo... anyway, to get to my point (and I do have one) I asked him if he ever did any CAS and he said no, not anymore, not since they required you belong to SASS, and made you wear boots and funny pants. :lol:

That's OK with me.

Kinda interesting the misinformation that gets out there. Boots are only needed for a couple of categories (BW and CC). SASS membership is only required for State Championship and above. Now some clubs may make it mandatory but not many. Jeans are perfectly acceptable in all but those same two categories so I guess jeans are funny pants.

That's OK with me.

Well evabody ain't a cowboy, I always wanted ta be. I guess I'm as close as I'll eva be. Went tha horse route fer 20+ years, Tha gun route fer 11 years an tha guns are alot more fun an safer far as I'm concerned.

RRR

got me to thinkin.....I did wake up with a rather horsey faced woman one time.....

....once I gnawed my arm off and got out of bed, things got much better for the rest of the day.

127 hours....shoot....I gnawed that sucker off in no time.

Did she have one arm?

This range trip was to shoot .44 Specials through my Rossi. They kick about half as much as .44 Magnums. Very fun to shoot, and very accurate at 25 yards too. That was my first time shooting that particular round. I think it would make an excellent self defense round for inside the home.

I think he was just making excuses because he didn't want to do it. He probably has enough to do without adding one more thing.

He's really into old bolt rifles and shooting open sights at 200-300 yards. That's really what he likes to do. He's always at those competitions; in fact, I think he's in charge of them.

Kinda interesting the misinformation that gets out there. Boots are only needed for a couple of categories (BW and CC). SASS membership is only required for State Championship and above. Now some clubs may make it mandatory but not many. Jeans are perfectly acceptable in all but those same two categories so I guess jeans are funny pants.

Yep. We don't require SASS membership, but we encourage it. We run 80+% membership. Affiliated clubs do have to maintain at least 50%:

Maintain no less than 50% of its membership in SASS. (This applies to only the "cowboy part" if part of a larger, multi-discipline shooting club. The 50% rule is waived the first year.)

Nah...but close. She was older I think. I bought her a drink at the bar and she ordered vinegar and water.

I don't think that was for drinkin!

Nah...but close. She was older I think. I bought her a drink at the bar and she ordered vinegar and water.

Vinegar and water? Ain't drunk that since I was with the Tenth Legion in Juedea. We were trying to root out a bunch of Zealots from Masada.

Casca Longinus

That's OK with me.

The central florida rifle and pistol club has about 1100 members......The cowboy match there averages less than 30 and most of those folks are not club members. I think it's safe to say that the VAST majority of the folks you meet at that club are not interested in cowboy. I know of NO clubs in the state of florida that require SASS membership for monthly matches.....including the Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club.

Stan

Everybody's different. I don't like plastic guns, I've had a few, but go back to all metal stuff time and again. I'd like to have been a real cowboy even though I don't much care for horses. But I would had to have been careful, a gunslinger I'm certainly not. I'd a probably got gunned down in a saloon by an 1880's Red River Ray.... :D

SASS--CAS

aint fer everyone

and

In my humble opinion

SASS---CAS should not try to make SASS--CAS for everybody

like a lot uf the comments try to.

on the wire

Nope - yer wrong MM. CAS/SASS should be for everyone...the difference is in how we define "everyone". I don't define "Everyone" as everyone that shoots. "Everyone" is defined as "Everyone" that does participate in this game.

Sorry my friend...but I can't give ya that Ceegar... ;)

got me to thinkin.....I did wake up with a rather horsey faced woman one time.....

....once I gnawed my arm off and got out of bed, things got much better for the rest of the day.

Heard about a guy that did that one time. The next day, he realized she might come looking for a one armed man, so he gnawed off the other one.

Nope - yer wrong MM. CAS/SASS should be for everyone...the difference is in how we define "everyone". I don't define "Everyone" as everyone that shoots. "Everyone" is defined as "Everyone" that does participate in this game.

Sorry my friend...but I can't give ya that Ceegar... ;)

I dont like ceegaaaaaaaaaaaaars anyways

this is the mileage varies thing

if we try to make CAS for everyone, then the CAS soup will become to waterdowned to eat, no flavor....any more

the pants and boots the feller mentioned, are CAS spice fer the recipie

some will eat it

some will not

so it still wont bee for everyone

Vinegar and water??????

its no wonder your eyeball has popped out.

..........Widder

Archived