SASS Wire Forum

Okay, the horsey post is a dead horse- - - -

Mustang Gregg

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Our club still has a couple of stages every season where we use a chair and poker table. You always start seated and shoot some targets with rifle or revolvers. Then you get up to finsh the stage standing and shooting from another spot to the right.

I don't really see any problems with it. We never allow the scattergun to be shot while seated. And we allow anyone who wants to shoot standing instead of sitting to shoot from beside the chair.

Our table is very sturdy and stable. Six-guns are staged on it rather than getting drawn from leather while seated.

Are other clubs having a table and chair to shoot off of? Or is this going away too?

I only ask because Calamity and I have not been able to get away to hardly any other SASS ranges to shoot lately. So we don't see how other outfits are doing things much.

Mustang Gregg

Although I do not enjoy shooting off a prop like a horse, I usually see no issue sitting to shoot including the shotgun. I do not believe it safe to draw pistols from holsters when sitting, having a table for your guns is a good alternative. Mos places that start you out shooting sitting down usually allow one the option to shoot the shotgun sitting or standing to shoot.

The poker table is something one of the clubs I go to does often.

You start seated, guns on the table.

At some point you stand and move to finish the stage.

We always make sure that someone on the posse manages the chair.

The shooter stands and the chair tender quickly and quitely moves the chair back away from the shooter so that they can move clearly to finish the stage.

It would be unfortunate if that act was not done as some wear spurs and those can easily get hung up in a chair.

We have shot from a chair in one match,at Orange County. We had a cut out of a cowboy sitting across from you with a baloon hooked to his head and we shot the baloon with a 45cal blank while sitting, stand and with shotgun staged on table ,had to shoot 4 shotgun make hole in the door made of paper,make shotgun safe pick up one pistol staged on table go to door and shoot 5 through the hole you made in the door with your shotgun on a pistol target with out put you hand or gun through the door.The door was a wooden frame with a roll of brown paper at the top that we could just roll down after it was shot up.It was cool.

Yep, we use the table and chair, revolvers are staged on table, sometimes with or without long guns, don't remember shooting the shotgun while seated. Often you are given the option to sit or stand after the beep. Sometimes we us a paper plate on the other side of the table...with revlover put two in the paper plate, then finish with a sweep on steel down range. Good Luck

Jefro :ph34r:

The poker table is something one of the clubs I go to does often.

You start seated, guns on the table.

At some point you stand and move to finish the stage.

We always make sure that someone on the posse manages the chair.

The shooter stands and the chair tender quickly and quitely moves the chair back away from the shooter so that they can move clearly to finish the stage.

It would be unfortunate if that act was not done as some wear spurs and those can easily get hung up in a chair.

This is exactly what we do at Black River, usually during our annual match. We stage pistols on the table. The shooter cuts the deck, and shoots the first pistol at the red or black targets accordingly. Folks always seem to enjoy the stage.

The Mississippi River Rangers down in Byhalia, MS have a unique set-up that I like.

Thay have a poker table with the cards and chips glued to the table so it's a nice looking prop.

The legs of the table are hinged to the floor.

Shooter starts seated at the table with pistols holstered and when it's time thay stand up from the chair, upending the table at the same time and start shooting...just like in the movies.

The table wasn't heavy and I think it was rigged some way that it didn't get abused when overturned. Just a simple,one person job to set it upright for the next shooter.

Cool! and FUN

The Shasta Regulators of Hat Creek have a Faro table with the cards glued to the felt too. Here the top is hinged and attached to a trigger for a cable mounted moving target. Flip the table and the target moves across the stage from left to right. The only complaint that we had was from a GF who felt that we wrote a VERY gunfighter unfriendly stage. Your mileage may vary.

Hi Gregg,

I haven't done that in years. It is definately different (variety is good). We always staged all guns on the table when doing so.

Seems that all fun stuff like that happened at the OWSS club at Chabot. They also had a seat rigged to a box springs. It seemed like you were in a buckboard.

I think I miss the stuff they did there. Unfortunately, it is a three hour drive from me now.

Regards,

Allie Mo

We did that at one monthly shoot a while back.We have one smaller bay that had a double decked table.It was a pistol's only stage and we shot it with the 1st pistol staged on the bottom shelf and the 2nd holstered.Shot the 1st pistol at a largish target using the point,pull and hope you hit it method,then stood up and shot the 2nd one normally at the same target.Was fun,fast and different.The table had enough of an opening that you didn't have to worry about shooting the uprights and was narrow enough front to back to allow the barrel to be even with the front edge of the table.

Howdy Gregg

I have had a table and chair in several stages, some times you started in the chair at table with pistols on table and restaged back on table, then stand and shoot rifle and move for shotgun. I have also done the reverse. you start standing some place on the stage, pistols are staged on table. rifle and shotgun stages on stage. you shoot the rifle and shotgun then move to the table and sit down to shoot the pistple. It is a hoot.

I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of shooting seated behind a table, at least at a major match. This goes back to a State match years ago where I was RO and the first stage our posse was on started seated behind a table. One very tall shooter with 7 1/2" bbl pistols sat down in the starting position. He had his holsters tied down so when he sat the guns were parallel to the ground and one slipped out, droped on the ground. Match DQ without firing a shot! I will never forget how bad I felt for that cowboy. The fact is that we all wear different leather, have different builds etc. and mistakes like nthe one I described are 100 times more likely when we have to sit down. I kind of like doing different things like that at monthly matches but i think it should be left out of state and regional matches.

Archived