SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger 12 gauge

The Original Bad Bob

Found one for $350 today, but they had a stainless one with a synthetic stock for $400 I liked a bit better.

I know the synth stock cannot be used in CAS, but what about stainless steel?

It's nickled and a wood stock painted black. Perfectly legal for the game.

For only $50 extra the nickle/black sounds good. Go to the Stoeger website, you can see the different finishes available. There is also a matte nickle finish that looks nice.

Before you buy it, you might want to check with Goatneck Clem aka Fred Bursey. He is a fantastic gunsmith and a real nice guy. He usually has Stoegers on hand that already have action jobs that may not cost much more than a stock gun.

http://www.goatneckclemgunsmithing.com/

I have the matte nickel with brown stocks and also have the nickel version with the black stock, the matt nickel is my main one with the nickel one as back up, as of now after 6 years have never used the nickel version except once, I used it in a match and the matt nickel as back up. The nickel with the black stock is very sharp looking

All for now JD Trampas

Stoeger makes so many variants of its coach gun with a lot of them having portions or being entirely nickel plated that I can see the hesitancy of admitting one might be made out of stainless steel. Rest assured they do make a few models in stainless steel and I know because I happen to own one of them in 12 ga. Since they do make nickel, I did check when my gun came in, both model number and magnet (the magnet did not stick as it should not with stainless). I went to the Stoeger sites listed above and they all go to a nickel model. Go to this site and you will see the stainless models. However I don't think any of them come with a black stock. The stainless is worth having in the clean up department! Here is the site. http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_coach_gun_supreme.php Look at the listings of the guns. They are done in pairs with a 12 and a 20 gauge in each pairing. The first pair is Blue. The second is Stainless. The third is Nickel. There use to be more choices than that doubling the guns as each had the choice of single or double triggers. I'm not sure what they are doing now. I bought the double trigger model when I got mine. Smithy.

While a nickle or SS gun looks cool you can have issues with picking up the sights in bright sunlight. I've had to paint the rear notch and front blade black on my SS Montados. Seeing the bead may not be as critical with a well fit shotgun as with a pistol or rifle but you do not need to handicap yourself. If my Stoeger is typical the stock does not have enough drop so I have to aim at the bottom edge of the shotgun targets. This makes it hard to hit flying targets. My recommendation is stick with blue guns or a nickle receiver shotgun.

JD

They all look good to me. I still think it would be a good idea to go to the range and try out someones to make sure that is what you like before you spend the money.

Archived