SASS Wire Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. https://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/dday-veteran-earned-its-stripes-180972226/?fbclid=IwAR2tjjKhYIW4le0R8Zn_Ht7YIqGh0MqLiZ-yuZFOG8yXIuxlXmkvCKl0nRo he National Air and Space Museum’s Martin B-26 Marauder Flak-Bait still wears its original wartime paint, complete with chips, repairs, and patches testifying to the hard life of a combat aircraft. And it bears something else: invasion stripes—the black and white alternating bands on its wings and fuselage—applied for the D-Day invasion on June 6, 1944. It may be the only remaining aircraft in the world to boast such markings. The first time markings were used to identify aircraft was at a bombing competition in Vienna in 1910, but it didn’t become common practice until World War I, in response to the critical need to distinguish between allies and enemies. A tension existed, however, between making national symbols large enough to facilitate identification, but not so large as to draw unwanted attention. As a result, ground gunners had difficulty seeing the marks and tended to fire at anything in the sky. Advances in aircraft speed and altitude only compounded this problem in World War II. In advance of D-Day, the British had been experimenting with electronic identification, so-called “friend or foe” systems. But Allied planners believed the equipment would be overwhelmed by the large number of aircraft over the Normandy beaches. The planners decided that, in this case, recognition would be more important than concealment. What they needed was a bold, simple form of visual identification that would be easier to see than the standard national markings. They settled on five alternating white and black stripes (three white, two black) around the wings and rear fuselage. Detailed orders described the exact dimensions of the stripes: 18 inches wide for single-engine and 24 inches wide for twin-engine aircraft. Secrecy was vital. If the Germans found out about the orders, they might copy the stripes and avoid Allied anti-aircraft fire. So the orders weren’t issued until just days before the invasion, when ground crews hastily applied the stripes with whatever paint and brushes were at hand. While some of the markings were carefully masked off to exact dimensions, period photographs attest to the often rough and uneven appearance of many of the applications. image: https://thumbs-prod.si-cdn.com/Hi3EZTlFQMoc1Jcqau7fBUrV_ME=/fit-in/1072x0/filters:focal(3611x3025:3612x3026)/https://public-media.si-cdn.com/filer/57/06/57068121-1cd8-429e-9de2-404440d849fe/16a_jj2019_nasm-1b18390_live.jpg W.J. “Bill” Johnston of the 449th Squadron, 322nd Bomb Group next to Flak-Bait, circa 1944-1945. (NASM (1B 18390)) On the day of the invasion, Flak-Bait flew three separate missions, the first beginning in the early pre-dawn hours. The bomber would go on to fly 206 combat missions—more than any other U.S. aircraft. In 1946, it was crated and shipped back to the United States. Donated to the Smithsonian in 1949, the aircraft still wears its many battle scars. The forward fuselage was displayed in the Mall building for many years, but work is now under way to display the completely assembled Flak-Bait, at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Virginia, for the first time since the end of World War II. Preservation of the paint on Flak-Bait is a major concern. During the war, the U.S. Army Air Forces granted the Glenn L. Martin Company a waiver to skip primer when painting B-26s to save weight. Since primer helps paint adhere to bare metal—and without it, the paint easily chips—B-26s had an extremely weathered look. Museum conservator Lauren Horelick and Engen Conservation Fellow Karen Wilcox will work with scientists at the Smithsonian’s Museum Conservation Institute to identify the composition of the paint. Only anecdotal evidence currently exists as to the paint’s composition; correctly identifying it will provide an opportunity to add to the historical record. Conservators are also interested in some disparities in the invasion stripes: Those on the right wing are even and appear to follow the regulations, while those on the left wing are not as distinct, and may have been repainted in slightly different positions. As the 75th anniversary of D-Day approaches, Flak-Bait reminds all who see it of the sacrifices of those young men on the Normandy beaches. Read more at https://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/dday-veteran-earned-its-stripes-180972226/#XHT0lq1bOBD05s3C.99
  3. Track was confidence inspiring 10-32 it is. Thanks for the feedback everyone.
  4. BTW-On my RV. The inverter charges the battery. I can turn it on or off. The gennys run my 110vac stuff to keep SWMBO(and me)comfy. OLG
  5. Yes it was and some jack a$$3$ had to criticize the officer anyway.
  6. Same distance as my rifle, 25 yards. But "where"? Bullet strike on the target right where my sights are lined up. I want to be sure that whatever the bead is on will get hit.
  7. Yeah so do I but I don’t mind running the generator. Someday I’ll add solar.
  8. Right before EOT is not the time to change anything. After EOT is the time to change stuff for next year. FWIW, my load now is 3.0gr of bullseye behind a 130gr TC from Badman Bullets. But what's best for me may not be what's best for you. Load up a bunch of different options, chrono and check the splits. Both double taps, and splits between targets. See what works best for you. Doc
  9. That's why I want solar on my camper right there.
  10. I like coming back to the RV after a full day of jeep'n or shoot'n and the batteries are fully charged, all without run'n the gennys. OLG
  11. I also live and breathe in spread sheets. That latest PDF is sure nice, because not everybody has Excel. I don't use phones nor tablets, so all I care about is it working properly on a desktop. I no longer have to write software that runs on every possible platform. Retirement is a wonderful thing.
  12. You have couple of young uns you could pedal but then you’d lose the tax deduction.
  13. Both are 12 ga, straight stock sporters with selective trigger's 1st gun is completely stock, no work done and very stiff from not being used, only flaw is a small chip from the buttplate 2nd gun has the ejectors disabled and the auto safety dissconnected, nice and smooth PM me if you want more photos. $1,200 ea
  14. I was just having a laugh over the irony of it all... a gun shop has pot oils in stock, but out of stock on the gun I want. I have a good bud (no pun here) who has Crohns, and several feet of his intestines cut out. This gives him an eternal case of the gut-clutch-squirts. He takes some pot oil concoction, that tightens up his bowels so he isn't married to the toilet all day. I asked about a buzz... he says he can't tolerate that and run his business, but the oils are buzz-less. CA has moved into State sponsored medical pot dispensaries because they have discovered the HUGE amount of tax revenue it generates. I don't have a dot in the pot fight. Could not care less, as long as it isn't behind the wheel. I carried a security clearance for a long time, so not an issue of concern for me at all. One of my SASS buddies is a Class-A commercial driver and concealed carry. He says a CA pot card will cause him to lose both licenses.
  15. Yep, had em on my RV but haven’t needed solar bad enough to spring for it on the Casita, someday maybe.
  16. Tulsa. Drive, run, shoot at a diagonal across six lanes. Two shots on target.
  17. Obviously you guys don't have tin hats. Russians, Smussians. We are being invaded by THEM. THEM being those folks from Roswell. They have invaded our bodies and walk among us. Oh look, a squirrel...…..
  18. Now, the question is: How long is too long for a post to go on about how long is too long for a gunsmith?
  19. For those of you coming to POP, one of our venders is James Country Mercantile out of Liberty, MO. Went on a little road trip to see the sights in Liberty today, stopped in to see them. For those who have not done business with them, they are good people and a great company. They have many period correct clothes, guns, hats and about anything you need for our game. Their prices and selection are second to none! I suggest you bring a little extra gold and plan on supporting them. Those of you who aren't coming to POP, visit them on the internet and get dressed up for next year! Asa
  20. Today
  21. The Missouri Bullet Co. Hi Tek coated cowboy bullets are great. I've been shooting them for 4 years with zero issues and no leading whatsoever. Most of my loads are 600-700fps. Enter "SASS" and get a 5% discount at checkout.
  22. I sight my rifle to be 3-½" high @ 35 yards. ((Traditional 6 o'clock hold). It's just about 7" low @ 100, dead on @ 75 yards and high everywhere closer in. I can run close in targets with the front sight on the bottom of the target and be assured of a hit, and hold on the top of a 100 yard target and similarly (if I do my part), be assured of a hit. Assuming standard 16" square targets... Run a ballistic calculation for YOUR load with 5 yard increments and I think you'll find it AIN'T rocket science.
  23. I dread the day when I walk to the window and the computer tells the teller my name and account number.
  24. I wouldn't use a leather washer... a stainless lock washer, yes... but, with the humidity in our part of the world, the leather will absorb it, and either rust the spring, the inside of your frame or, both. I use stock springs... and thin stainless lockwasher I picked up @ Ace.
  25. They are saying EF3 damage. Lots of roofs, trees and power lines. But not totally obligated like Joplin.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.