SASS Wire Forum

Would this be considered a pistol cartridge?

Posted (edited)

Take a .45-70 case.   Cut it back to the same length as a .45 Colt.   Load it with 300 grain bullets.

Would this be considered a pistol cartridge, and thus allow for the usage of some of those novelty huge revolvers, or even a Winchester 86 as main match guns?  (Assuming that it could properly cycle through the action.)

Even if it would not work in a repeating rifle, or be Main Match legal, it MIGHT make for a decent reduced power load in those big revolvers and single shot rifles.

(In the planning stages for a long term project.  Call it Cowboy Wildcatting.)

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I already load 300 to 325 grain bullets in my 45 Colt cases (not for cowboy). Plenty of load data for those ranges. Don't see a need to cut down 45-70 brass unless you think it'll allow more case strength.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

I already load 300 to 325 grain bullets in my 45 Colt cases (not for cowboy). Plenty of load data for those ranges. Don't see a need to cut down 45-70 brass unless you think it'll allow more case strength.

More case strength would be a side effect, and allow for "stronger" loads.   But the main purpose is using it as a low power alternative in those really big revolvers and large rifles.   You can download a big .45-70 case "too much" but a shortened one already holds less powder.  You can't load a .45 Colt into a Trapdoor Springfield, but you could load a shortened .45-70. 

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619
  • Like 1

Besides all the other reasons that this is a crazy idea (hey, this IS H.K. we're talking about :) ), I'm thinking the brass is probably thicker further down towards the base which would make it a problem seating your chosen bullet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^ Beat me to it!

Some folks should never be taught to post video to You Boob.

The original cartridge was called the 45 Brimstone.  The conversions of the walker for the Brimstone were created by Gary Barnes aka: Hoof Hearted.  The original parent cartridge used was the 460.

And, NO, cut down 45-70 cases would not be SASS/CAS legal (READ the rules).  The 460 cartridge is also not SASS/CAS legal (READ the RULES).  Additionally, most places, about the third target you broke with 300Gr bullets would invite your immediate departure.

• Like 1