SASS Wire Forum

Going rate for a 9-volt battery?

Everything battery powered that I have bought within the last several years has come with batteries.

But these were all triple A's. Remote controls, kitchen scale. Things like that. Requires one to three volts, so one or two 1.5 volt AAAs.

Yesterday I received my stud finder. When I pushed the buttons, nothing happened, so then I read the instructions. First construction, open the thing on the back and put in a 9-volt battery.

So today I was looking at 9 volt batteries in Amazon. The best price I could find was a two pack for seven and a half dollars. That's 3.75 each. Double A's and triple A's run about a buck each. Ouch. Apparently that's why they didn't include one with the stud finder. Cost too much.

So what do they cost where you live?

I always buy my Energizer in multi-packs of 4 or 8 for about $2.75 each battery. I change out the 2 smoke detector batteries every time change and have other devices that use them also like powder scales and clock backups. I also have a stud detector or at least I used to...don't leave the battery in it or you won't have one either.;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Doesn’t the stud detector just point at you anyway?

That's why he's depressed, it pointed everywhere but...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

For a stud finder that you won't use a lot, I'd buy one good Energizer battery and take it out when not using and keep with the tool. If it's been a while since last use, check early enough before your next project. Odds are if you go for a multi pack, they'll be dead too when you need one!

Edited by Eyesa Horg
Typo

The good thing about the 9v batteries is that everyone has a built-in battery tester...their tongue. Easy to tell the good ones from the weak, bad or almost bad.

I did the test once with a new battery and my gal asked if it was a good battery. I said, no honey...completely dead (it was brand new and STRONG), you try it. She said, you're sure to which I said, sure I'm sure. She tried it...boy was she pissed.

• Haha 2

Gotta recommend a universal small battery checker.  Saves money.  Button batteries up to 9 volt and some camera batteries.  Not a lot of money. Mine is branded DLYFULL - I believe it was under $25.

7 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Gotta recommend a universal small battery checker.  Saves money.  Button batteries up to 9 volt and some camera batteries.  Not a lot of money. Mine is branded DLYFULL - I believe it was under $25.

Rolling Stones 9v battery tester.

Imágenes de Rolling Stones logo | Imágenes

much like everything else the dollar now goes half as far as it did , and the battry runs out just as fast if not faster