SASS Wire Forum

Trail Cameras, Best, Easiest To Program And Use

I thought about setting some of these up a few years ago but never got around to it. Now with the homeless camp up the creek from my house I need to be more vigilant. Any real world trail-cam users out there? 

Covert wireless are good , so are reveal by tactacam.  Moultrie is not bad but mine don’t send notice there is a picture like covert and reveal do.  Only downside is one of my covert is right on the path my dogs take and they like to play in front of it so that one goes off a lot.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reveal Tactacam are awesome!  I’ve got two set up on our property in East Tennessee(3 hours away). $100 each per year for unlimited sends(texts)to my phone. Here’s a couple of bear pics we got recently.  Takes 30 seconds usually for texts to hit my phone.

IMG_1287.thumb.jpeg.c282a39aa093ed25d698610adeeff472.jpegIMG_1288.thumb.jpeg.804fb772dda74724ef80f4c8fcfe6c6c.jpeg

SpyPoint are ok and give 100 free sends per month.

• Like 1

I've got 7 cams out along our long driveway.  I catch a lot of the traffic in and out plus a lot of wildlife.  The are of at least 3 generations.  All relatively cheap.  No fancey Wi-Fi or such. The newest ones take the best pictures and batteries last a long time. I use rechargeable AA batteries.  The newest cameras will go maybe 6 months on a charge just taking photos.  The old one I have on video only last 3-4 days between charging.  I have it over a salt lick in yard and it get a lot of videos. I bought two recently on sale at MidwayUSA.  Cheap but take good pictures.  Biggest complaint with the two new ones is the text display is too small to read. Like the Bible on an aspirin small. 

I've had two cameras stolen.  I leave out several dead cameras as a deterrent to trespassers.  Hopefully they will see them and move on. The newer cams are all camouflaged and very hard to see against trees.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I've got 7 cams out along our long driveway.  I catch a lot of the traffic in and out plus a lot of wildlife.  The are of at least 3 generations.  All relatively cheap.  No fancey Wi-Fi or such. The newest ones take the best pictures and batteries last a long time. I use rechargeable AA batteries.  The newest cameras will go maybe 6 months on a charge just taking photos.  The old one I have on video only last 3-4 days between charging.  I have it over a salt lick in yard and it get a lot of videos. I bought two recently on sale at MidwayUSA.  Cheap but take good pictures.  Biggest complaint with the two new ones is the text display is too small to read. Like the Bible on an aspirin small. 

I've had two cameras stolen.  I leave out several dead cameras as a deterrent to trespassers.  Hopefully they will see them and move on. The newer cams are all camouflaged and very hard to see against trees.  

Who makes the trail-cams that you use?

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Who makes the trail-cams that you use?

I would have said but none are probably available now and none are remarkable enough to recommend over any other cheap cams.  Stealth-Cam the latest. Maultree first ones. Wildgame. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used Wildgame Unlimited for years. Took good photos and videos. Not special. I have a Muddy cam now. It was on sale for 50.00 at Menards. Does well in the day.  Fair at night. I got my monies worth. 

• Like 2

Be aware that when your trail cams take a picture at night they have a fairly bright red glow, I have seen this many times walking to and from my deer stands before dawn and after dark. ALL of my friends as well as myself have had cameras stolen. They are very easy to see after dusk. Now we all buy cheap cameras. Loosing a $65 camera sucks but loosing a $300 camera really hurts. If you have a people issue which it sounds like, you’re probably going to end up loosing a camera now and then. You can turn off the night flash but you won’t get pictures worth a darn at night

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

C6440DFF-ABBB-44D5-89E0-4CA9BB2EBBB1.thumb.jpeg.2bb7643e961e7a2eaff04686765a1404.jpegWarden, Michigan & OakRidge are giving good advice. I run between 8 & 10 cameras depending on what’s going on. All of them are the cheapies, mostly wild game brand and a couple stealth cams. Pictures are pretty decent for my needs and as others have said I would rather loose a $50 camera vs the higher dollar. Haven’t lost one yet but have had a couple cards taken. Thanks for leaving the cameras I guess :wacko:

LF 

Edited by Long Fingers, SASS#56813
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

The animals don't seem to notice the night lights. 

59c99fb30f0c8_BobcatJuly2017.jpg.f49376c307b9e18b4921bd16d5b33e86.jpg

I’m thinking the two legged ones might, I’m going to give the cameras a go and see what happens. Thanks for your help, I might PM you with some questions later on.

Black trash bags are IR transparent.

If you cover your flash with a layer it really cuts down on the visible red light from the near IR LEDs.

Try it for pic quality YMMV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1