SASS Wire Forum

Interesting personal find

I may have mentioned two of my great grandfathers who were Confederate soldiers.  One was  scour for General Sterling Price and the other signed up and was on his way with a few others to get uniforms weapons, and cetera when a Yankee patrol captured them and he spent the rest of the war in a POW camp in Michigan.

Well, I recently was given some of Mom's papers that my sister had ever since Mom passed.  Sis didn't know, nor did she much care, what they were.

Four eight and a half by fourteen photo copies of pay records for Private Robert C. Owens (My grandmothers uncle and brother to the one who was a scout) of Captain Landis' Company, of Light Artillery, CSA.  There are four pay records per page and start on December 8, 1862.  There are some gaps because the next one, dated  July (can't read the day) 1862.  Skip ahead and he is on the Roll of Prisoners of War, captured at Vicksburg on July 4, 1863 and now living at Camp Morton, Indiana.

He was released January3, 1865 after refusing for the entire time he was a prisoner to accept parole and finally taking the oath of allegiance to the Union at Camp Morton, Illinois.  He was released at Gratiot Street Prison, Saint Louis, Missouri.  He was described as  dark complexion with brown hair and black eyes, standing 5'7 3/4" tall.

One more brick in the wall.  :D

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Family trees are always nice to look at....Helps with learning history of your back ground....Even the best will find a horse thief or two...Or date of birth and wedding do not match up...If there was even a wedding...But that is history....

Texas Lizard

• Like 1

i dont have as much family history as i would lkike i do know some , i know my great grandfather was station ,master in eureka springs arkansas - i know this confirmed from a plaque that one hun ini the depot in the 60s when we  visited , i know my great uncle was the station master in alliance nebraska and his wife was the telegrapher , i actually knew them in their 60s , i know my relatives fought for the confederacy from arkansas but dont know as much as i would like to , 

im against the DNA tracking , but i realize its just a matter of time , i have no fingerprints on record and only my birth certificate , might have a footprint as a newborn as i know they did that , none of it willingly given over im not adverse really as im law abiding but it seems all of our laws are aimed directly at those that abde by the law NOT THE CRIMINALS - they seem to get special treatment at every turn , 

recently i heard local news ell of two local people [actually three if you include the wife of one] that are being prosecuted for failing to pay federal income taxes .......yup , a couple rural folks that owe a few thousand here in the land of rocks and cows - but hunter bidden that owes millions gets a free pass , something is not right nor fair , im not excusing the payment im looking for equal justice and if the  IRS is interested in collections - go for the big money as well 

Edited by watab kid
  • Like 3

Congratulations Forty Rod. That’s some cool information. :)

I was avidly searching on Ancestry and all kinds of internet treasure troves looking for info on everyone in my family tree. I had my Dad’s side tracked back to the 1730’s and my Mom’s side back to 1717. I was telling one of my sisters about this when she says “Did you know that Mom’s father was not her real father, her birth father?”

I thought maybe she was just messing with me then she added “Call Aunt Helen. She’ll tell you about it.”

So I did. 
Here I am, 60 years old, just then learning that my Mom’s real father was a neighbor boy my grandma fooled around with at age 16.

This pretty much took the wind out of my sails regarding researching my family’s history. 
I lost interest. 
I spent lots of hours and lots of money on this project. 

I may take up the task again this year but my enthusiasm about it just isn’t what it once was. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 12:27 PM, Texas Lizard said:

Family trees are always nice to look at....Helps with learning history of your back ground....Even the best will find a horse thief or two...Or date of birth and wedding do not match up...If there was even a wedding...But that is history....

Texas Lizard

my Christian name is Walter

named after an uncle who died in WW II

with a bit of research for another Walter in WW II, this time a German Grenadier Walter

we all share the same last name

There were eight brothers in my family that all fought for the Confederacy in various North Carolina Infantry divisions. Four died in battle or from battle wounds, two died in Yankee prison camps and two came back. One of the brothers that came back was my Great Great Grandfather.

I still remember my Great Grandfather (born 1881) talking about his father and what his father told him about the War although I don't remember specifics now regretfully. He died in 1971.

16 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Congratulations Forty Rod. That’s some cool information. :)

I was avidly searching on Ancestry and all kinds of internet treasure troves looking for info on everyone in my family tree. I had my Dad’s side tracked back to the 1730’s and my Mom’s side back to 1717. I was telling one of my sisters about this when she says “Did you know that Mom’s father was not her real father, her birth father?”

I thought maybe she was just messing with me then she added “Call Aunt Helen. She’ll tell you about it.”

So I did. 
Here I am, 60 years old, just then learning that my Mom’s real father was a neighbor boy my grandma fooled around with at age 16.

This pretty much took the wind out of my sails regarding researching my family’s history. 
I lost interest. 
I spent lots of hours and lots of money on this project. 

I may take up the task again this year but my enthusiasm about it just isn’t what it once was. 

Sometimes real life intrudes and throws a curveball, which is why I figure these ancestry things are nothing more than an approximation. Family secrets tend to distort the info. 

A good friend found out at 60+ years of age after parents were long gone, that his father wasn’t his birth father. Seems his mom was prone to fooling around and became pregnant. His dad married her anyway and raised my friend as his own.