SASS Wire Forum

Looking for plans, for permanent range cowtown set/building

Myron Swaim

Hi all,

I have a range at home, looking to construct one or two false front shooting sets. A couple of things I could use for ideas would be great, or do most clubs just figure it out on their own and build them? Looking to do a boardwalk and one or two “buildings” 

Thank You,

Myron

• Like 1

yes , most do it on their own , here at least , we know what they look like we still have some of them downtown in our small towns - a lot of them date to the exact era we are looking for , 

but if you check out some of the links to ranges posted here for various clubs you will find great ideas , 

Folks figured out what to build on their own when the range was built 25 years ago.  Later when we decided to host the state match more bays were added.  Now, 20 years later we're all getting older and those movable props, tables, false walls, etc. are getting really heavy.  Our latest discovery for moveable false fronts has been 2x4 frames with corrugated plastic for the wall. (Harbor Sales, MD) Some are solid, some have a window, and others have a door.  Hinges hold them together and 2x4s and spikes keep them in place.  On those where the window cut out, it was framed around both the window and the cut out.  They were hinged and the cut out became a table.  Later all false front buildings with window got a drop-down table as well.
We do have 5 permanent false fronts/buildings and one 3 car train.  Each year something seems to need maintenance and repairs....darn porcupines!
The other 4 bays get the moveable false fronts or a bar, wagon, etc. 

Thanks, been looking at the photo gallery section of several clubs for some ideas. Portable or being able to break down, not an issue. I have a permanent range here on the farm. I generally keep the steel out all summer. Too darn heavy to keep moving around! I appreciate all the suggestions,

Myron.

Regarding wooden plank  boardwalks, we have many at our club, and for the most part, I maintain them. 

Even in our less severe California weather, they are high maintenance.  They swell in winter, shrink in summer, and like to  warp upward, regardless of material or how carefully and strongly you attach the planks.  In wet seasons they can be slippery, and then when they dry out, the  attachment deck screws sometimes work their way upward creating trip hazards.   They seem to shrink just enough for .38 brass to lodge between them.     TREX is one (IMO poor)  expensive alternative, but it becomes VERY slippery when wet or icy, or gets even lightly covered with  leaves or needles.

The wood looks great and period authentic, but if you install it, plan a regular safety inspection and  maintenance program.  

• Like 1

Just ideas:

Boardwalk coat with HERCULINER Black 1-Gallon Truck Bed Liner Kit | Polyurethane | Roller Included | Skid-Resistant | Rust Prevention | Durable & Textured Finish

Check out pin hinges

For walls use weed cover it’ll let the heat escape while standing up to some wind.

• Thanks 1