SASS Wire Forum

I'm surprised most of us are still here!

49 minutes ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

So , I thinks , I see kids hopping over curbs all the time. Sooo , I yank up on that handle-bar , no lift at all. Front tire hits curb , me

and the bike do a 180 , I lands on my back with the bike on top. First thought was "Holy s##t , I hope I didn't break that left wrist again.

Luck figures in. I defended two unrelated lawsuits where, in each, a bicyclist hit a claimed road defect, rotated over, hit the top of the head. Both ended up quadraplegic.

When we're kids, the body seems more forgiving. Less mass is part of it. We'd fall down the stairs, jump up and run off. Not any more...

I remember always trying to patch myself up before asking for assistance. Didn't get in trouble for whatever I did to cause the injury, usually cuts and abrasions. The first stitches I ever got was when I was the first time my Dad let me go while learning how to ride a bicycle on a tar and gravel road. Gotta let you go sometime, that was it!

My uncle told me about one such patch job he and my mother did on himself. Seems my grandfather had told him to stay out of the (salt) water and DON'T JUMP OFF THE DOCK at the place they were visiting. Well, he jumped off the dock...into a small oyster bed. Almost cut his big toe off. He and my mother sewed it back on dental floss so that Grandpa wouldn't find out. He did anyway with the limping and all. Grandpa took him to the doc, doc said she did a good job, no reason to take them out and put new ones in.

23 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I remember always trying to patch myself up before asking for assistance. Didn't get in trouble for whatever I did to cause the injury, usually cuts and abrasions. The first stitches I ever got was when I was the first time my Dad let me go while learning how to ride a bicycle on a tar and gravel road. Gotta let you go sometime, that was it!

My uncle told me about one such patch job he and my mother did on himself. Seems my grandfather had told him to stay out of the (salt) water and DON'T JUMP OFF THE DOCK at the place they were visiting. Well, he jumped off the dock...into a small oyster bed. Almost cut his big toe off. He and my mother sewed it back on dental floss so that Grandpa wouldn't find out. He did anyway with the limping and all. Grandpa took him to the doc, doc said she did a good job, no reason to take them out and put new ones in.

Damn!!!

That one way beats any of my stunts/adventures. I'm still amazed that we didn't really break ourselves. The crap I pulled them would give me a ride in a hearse now!;) A good friends brother shot an arrow straight up! When it came down it went right down my friends back under his shirt and out his dungarees to stick in the ground and the fletching between the jeans and underwear. Not even a scratch. Today that'd be a King Arthur arrow in the top of the skull. :lol:

• Haha 1

came back after reflection , - playing with mercury , molding lead soldiers , fiddlin with electricity , and fartin around with explosives , not to mention playing on the rail roadtracks and in the river , im not sure what kids might do today , but thats what we did and we have lived long productive lives .....if we survived VN , i lived all of this as im sure many of you did as well , 

also i avoided the drugs of the 60s by choice and survived my motorcycle accident , hell - a lot of us survived the Y2K BS and a couple other "end of the worl disasters that were predicted for us , my seatbelt was my grandmothers arm slapped into my body every time she touched the brake - my parents didnt think it was needed  , i fell through barbed wire fences more than once and one was old and rusty , i stepped on a ten penny spike passing it clear through my foot [and shoe] i wore a mepps spinner in the top of my eye for a mile or so of white water in a canoe till we could pull it clear and cut it off , couple beers later back to fishing , 

actually i think we are way overprotective these days and way too sensitive - that lack of a tough skin and the resilience of  immunity from exposure will kill our future 

• Thanks 2

On 4/21/2024 at 7:27 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Drank water from a garden hose, ate raw veggies and fruits that we took right from the plants, played with BB guns, lawn darts and other other evil toys, climbed on Jungle Gyms and overhead ladders, used tether balls and hanging chains, roller skates, pogo sticks, home made stilts, played dodge ball, swam in irrigation canals down stream from pastures and feed lots, hitch hiked all over the country, made swings out of old tires and rope, build soap box  cars with roller skate wheels, shot arrows in our back yards, used home made sling shots made out of forked sticks and inner tubes, played mumble peg with real knives, never heard of seat belts............and much more.

We survived and many of us grew up without much illness or injuries.

Now we live in an over-protective society and all this is gone.

Kids don't have adventures any more, they have computer games and cell phones.

Very sad. :(

My rebuttal:

image.thumb.jpeg.6484fc0511101eee94196befd8cd4e0d.jpeg
1692929899143508291-png__censored__700.j
E74e7PsWEAgCtX4.jpg

4-60d0a45dae08f__700.jpg
E8wWjhcWUAQn2Yb.jpg
image.jpeg.f537f6df340143d11763d1dcd66f062b.jpeg
myqxmei4oes81.jpg?auto=webp&s=5b99ad2efc

1ac19f06179dfdd2a159d15dd4a2ac8486f0372a

• Like 1