SASS Wire Forum

RIP Dickey Betts

Just heard through the grapevine that Allman Brothers original member, Dickey Betts, has crossed the devide.

No details as of yet.

• Sad 4

A truly talented but troubled musician. He lived a few miles away in the Sarasota area for many years and used to do local shows every once in a while.  He may be gone but his music will live on forever.

RIP Mr. Betts

• Like 2

This one hits close to home!  Both of the brothers were born here in Nashville and they played in numerous “Battle of the Bands” here in town, competing against bands that I was involved with.

One of my classmates, the late Allan Woody, was bass player for them for a number of years as well as a founding member of Government Mule with Warren Haynes and Matt Abts.

Haynes and Abts played in The Dickey Betts Band as well.

RIP . Dickey 

I should have included Warren Hayes also.

When Betts left the Allman Brothers for health reasons Haynes stepped in to take his place. He did a masterful job, most people not even noticing the change.

When Haynes left, Darren Truchs took over.

He did a good job, but just not the same, in my opinion.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Choctaw Jack said:

I should have included Warren Hayes also.

When Betts left the Allman Brothers for health reasons Haynes stepped in to take his place. He did a masterful job, most people not even noticing the change.

When Haynes left, Darren Truchs took over.

He did a good job, but just not the same, in my opinion.

Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks were the final duo of the many iterations of the Allman Brothers Band. They played together through the last years of the band’s live performances and on the last albums. Trucks officially joined the band in 1999 and played alongside Haynes until Gregg Allman passed in 2017, effectively ending the band’s run. (The guys had taken a break at the end of 2014 to spend time on new projects and with family. A new tour was planned and announced for 2017, but Gregg’s health failed and he passed in May of that year!)

Warren Haynes joined the Brothers in 1989 and played guitar alongside Dickey Betts until Betts left the band.

Haynes and Trucks still appear together often.  Their interaction as a duo is unparalleled and reminiscent of Duane Allman and Betts when the band was first assembled.

Most Allman Brothers fans will say that the duo of Haynes and Trucks took the band to new heights of instrumental excellence, holding on to the heart and soul of the original band and refining and intensifying the sound and orchestration.

I saw/heard many many ABB concerts and nearly every combination of players that came along, from Duane and Dickey to Warren and Derek.  Forty-eight years worth. I was around when Duane and Gregg played in local “battle of the bands”, appearing as “The Allman Joys”!

When I first saw them with Derek Trucks in ‘99, I was blown away!  He was/is the nearest thing to Duane in presence and he is probably what Duane would have become, had he lived to carry on.

For me, for pure music, played live and without boundaries, no other band can match The Allman Brothers Band for heart and soul and creative interpretation!

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of my Schoolmates, Allan Woody, was a founding member of Govt. Mule!

Fantastic band! Allan was gone too soon!

• Thanks 1