SASS Wire Forum

They're doing it right

Alpo

I'm currently on another board and they're having a girls and guns thread. And they showed this video. These ladies impressed me.

Most girls - I'm old, so I can call 90% of the females in this country girls and be correct - when holding a gun, bend backwards. I believe this is because most girls, but by no means all, have less upper body strength than most guys. So when they start out shooting, they lift up the gun as far as they can with their arms, and then bend backwards, using their back muscles to lift it up the last little bit needed to see the sights. And they do this when they first start to learn to shoot, and nobody corrects them, so even after they've been shooting for years many of them still do it.

And that was the first thing I noticed about these ladies. They were not bending backwards. They were doing it right.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

But she's doing it wrong.

AnnMargrettryingtobreakherface.thumb.png.ea9affd0490eafefb089810dfc7dc46e.png

I remember reading one time about some old cowboy who made a bet as to whether he could shoot the head off a chicken at 50 yards.

So he draws his ole thumb buster, and cradled it very similar to the way she has it. But instead of his hand resting on his elbow he had the trigger guard resting on his elbow.

The cylinder gap flash set his shirt sleeve on fire. And the recoil flipped the gun back far enough that the front sight stabbed him in the forehead. But he shot the head off the chicken.

Edited by Alpo
  • Haha 1

That’s the first thing you notice? Better man than I.

Actually the first thing I notice is where the weapons are pointed, same thing in a kitchen, I look for the weapons, even if they are knives, and I try to be on the end so the knives are only on one side.

Then, I look at other things.  ))))

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

8 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I've never really understood how using an unsupported arm as a rest helps.

It's not unsupported. If you're doing it correctly, your left hand is in your right elbow. So your right arm is helping to support your left arm. It's not as steady as a bench, but it is steadier than just sticking your right hand out there.

But you really need to think about what gun you're going to use. You don't want to revolver, because of the gap flash. You don't want something with a heavy recoil because you don't want to get hit in the face. You don't want to automatic because you don't want the slide hitting you in the nose.

Your best bet for that position would be something like a mild recoiling single shot. A Contender in 22 magnum. Something like that.

54 minutes ago, Alpo said:

It's not unsupported. If you're doing it correctly, your left hand is in your right elbow. So your right arm is helping to support your left arm. It's not as steady as a bench, but it is steadier than just sticking your right hand out there.

But you really need to think about what gun you're going to use. You don't want to revolver, because of the gap flash. You don't want something with a heavy recoil because you don't want to get hit in the face. You don't want to automatic because you don't want the slide hitting you in the nose.

Your best bet for that position would be something like a mild recoiling single shot. A Contender in 22 magnum. Something like that.

Must be a Hollywood thing.  Every time I see it in the movies the left arm is out, unsupported, just bent at the elbow and floating there, and the gun hand is braced on it, or at least the right forearm is braced on it.  Never seen it in real life.

You ever lift a large fry pan alpo? Heavier than most pistols 

11 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I've never really understood how using an unsupported arm as a rest helps.

If her left hand grabs her shoulder it creates a great supported base for the other arm

1 minute ago, Texas Joker said:

You ever lift a large fry pan alpo? Heavier than most pistols

Are you referring to my upper body strength comment?

When you lift that large frying pan, do you lift it up to eye level and hold it?

13 hours ago, Alpo said:

But she's doing it wrong.

AnnMargrettryingtobreakherface.thumb.png.ea9affd0490eafefb089810dfc7dc46e.png

I remember reading one time about some old cowboy who made a bet as to whether he could shoot the head off a chicken at 50 yards.

So he draws his ole thumb buster, and cradled it very similar to the way she has it. But instead of his hand resting on his elbow he had the trigger guard resting on his elbow.

The cylinder gap flash set his shirt sleeve on fire. And the recoil flipped the gun back far enough that the front sight stabbed him in the forehead. But he shot the head off the chicken.

Here's the photo from which that was cropped:
image.jpeg.b394737f7649111ef4e092381c6464dd.jpeg

She's not gripping her elbow. She's not grabbing her shoulder.  That arm is just floating there.  When you see this stance in movies the gun hand will be over the middle of the forearm, with that support arm just floating in the air.

As I wrote, it must be a Hollywood thing.

I agree that IF you can lock up that supporting arm by grabbing the opposite elbow, shoulder, etc. you will have a more stable platform than classic Bullseye stance.  Maybe.  Some of those Bullseye shooters are rock steady.  And the Olympic shooters are like robots.  

if they hit what they were shooting at they will survive and im all for that , these days we never know what might be coming , 

• Like 1

It's an isometric triangle. Do the stance and press your arms together.  Either up and down or at an angle the tension base eliminates small motor movevement from your elbow and shoulder.   For me it's more stable than a pistol out there on the end of my fist alone.  The other hand/arm helps

• Like 1