SASS Wire Forum

Shooting Bench

I acquired a free X-ray table from a remodeling job at the local hospital several years ago and welded a wing on each side. As a bonus, there were several pounds of sheet lead counterweights bolted underneath. :) The target is a ~40" steel plate hanging on chains on an eight foot square backboard 500 yards away. I've got additional plates hanging at 400 and 300. My house is at upper left in the middle picture.

BenchRest.thumb.jpg.eb1c44a9a29e911c874f706675901645.jpg

• Like 7

That cable spool bench is a clever design. 
Now I just need to buy some land so I can make my own to try it out. :D

• Like 5

In a pinch an ironing board will do.

Throw some carpet on the spool top to prevent unwanted damage from that center piece

Edited by Texas Joker
  • Like 1

I like it but being in the electrical trade for 40+ years, I can tell you that it has a few flaws with the main one being that the 4 rods/bolts/wood that hold it together will loosen up over time, especially long term exposure to weather, making it unstable. I also don't like the bolted in place seating, different rifles require different seating positions. It would also be next to impossible for one person to move the stand easily.

Whomever made it took their time and did a great job, it just wouldn't be for me.

• Like 1

Looks like old axle housings for the seat pedestals, cool.

NICE! Good job of reusing discards.  Bet it fits the guy who made it perfectly.

Take the hardware from a swiveling barstool to mount the seats so you and swivel a bit if needed (for myself I'd also cut off that point on the seat).  Heck, you can put your rest wherever you want on that, even on the opposite side, so you can get into whatever position you need for a particular rifle.  As is, if the seats don't swivel, turn it on its side and roll it onto a flatbed for transport.  

• Like 1