SASS Wire Forum

I’ve heard he’s done well

There's a story about an athletic young guy who was born in the great depression in 1930, didn't finish high school, who worked in several manual jobs, got married young, then drafted into the army where he worked as a life guard and was onboard a DC3 that crashed into the sea and had to swim two miles to the land, before going off to Hollywood at the age of 23 to try his luck. He found some small uncredited roles in mid 1950s B movies, but was ultimately sacked by Universal studios after being told he was in the wrong career, that his style was too wooden, his delivery of dialogue was too unusual as he didnt’t open his mouth very much, at 6ft 4 he was too tall and his pronounced Adams apple made him unlikely to ever have a career in Hollywood.

He struggled to get by for about three years but got the odd one off acting job in TV working alongside people like James Garner. When in 1958, another new Western set TV series called ‘Rawhide' was being cast someone remembered him and suggested the producers audition him.

I’ve often wondered what happened to the young man after that. I heard he did quite well.

main-qimg-7e6b42ac414b7ad7501f39a74cc2e2fa
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

He wanted Bloomberg for President! He also supports an Assault Weapon ban and Universal background checks an d gun registration! What a disappointment! :angry:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

A DC3? I've always read it was a Douglas dive bomber.

Wikipedia says

While returning from a prearranged tryst[30] in Seattle, he was a passenger on a Douglas AD bomber that ran out of fuel and crashed into the ocean near Point Reyes.[31][32] Using a life raft, he and the pilot swam 2 miles (3.2 km) to safety.[33] Eastwood was discharged in February 1953.[34]

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

While returning from a prearranged tryst[30] in Seattle

I would hope it was prearranged. My understanding of the term is the tryst is when you go off with your sweetie for a little slap and tickle. And if you have to go out of town to meet up with her, and if not prearranged, you might end up by yourself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

the only actor i give more credence to in my lifetime is john wayne , it took me a while to see rowdy yates as a real western actor but i got there , yes im old , and yes im set in my ways , and yes im biased , im old , i like gene authry , roy rogers - dale evans , and poncho and cisco , there is so much we have lost gaining wgere we are 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Action figures!!!

Like Chuck Norris. :D