SASS Wire Forum

Telescope for spotting scope?

Wild Eagle

Have any of you tried using a celestial/terrestrial telescope as a spotting scope?  I have added a new berm out at 400 yards and am in need of a new spotting scope.  I was hoping that I could possibly find one that would serve the dual purpose.  If any of you have used, or tried to use one, I would like to hear your thoughts.  Any information as to appropriate makes and models would also be much appreciated.  

Keep in mind that with a Newtonian telescope ( one with mirrors) the image is upside down and reversed. Same applies to cassegrain style telescopes. 

A shot that appears to be low left is actually high right. 

The mirror of the scope will need to be perfectly aligned or the image will be distorted at typical shooting distances. 

Otherwise any good celestial telescope will work. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The mirror of the scope will need to be perfectly aligned or the image will be distorted at typical shooting distances. 

Upside down and backwards is no problem.  I spent many years doing photography with a large format view camera which works the same way.  Could you expand on the quoted comment above?  I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me.  Thanks.

• Like 1

I bought a Pentax PF-80ED over a decade ago.  Can't compare it to a Kowa or any other high-dollar spotting scope.

The PF-80 has served me well, except for one shortcoming: eye relief.  After I started wearing glasses, I found the eye box on the scope to be more difficult to get behind.  Pay attention to eye relief, especially if you wear glasses.

I bought the PF-80 based on reviews from a few bird-watching blogs/websites.  Bird-watchers are very conscious of glass quality and portability, among other things.

2 hours ago, Wild Eagle said:

Upside down and backwards is no problem.  I spent many years doing photography with a large format view camera which works the same way.  Could you expand on the quoted comment above?  I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me.  Thanks.

Newtonian telescopes resemble the below design.

Newtonian Telescope, Types of Telescopes Part 1 | OPT Telescopes

The Primary has to be aligned. This article from Sky and Telescope explains it in very well.

I have a laser collimator so I used a paper A-hole for the center of my telescope.

I'm not going to be able to shoot this weekend so I'll get my scope out and see how good it can focus on something a couple hundred yards away and how much detail I can see vs my spotting scope.. 

• Like 1

BTW Most dedicated spotting scopes have variable zoom. Variable zoom scopes or binoculars do not make good telescopes.

Note: The above statement does not apply to telescopes where the magnification level is changed by swapping out eyepieces. It only applies to scopes that have a wheel or lever that changes the magnification level.

I use one...one of those short fat ones with a chinese name30-90x65-Maksutav optics I think.? About 12 inches long and 4 inch diameter.   Pawn shop was desperate to get it out of the way and I was too cheap to pay for a real /expensive scope.....  Its great for looking at the moon...and even better for seeing downrange at 400 yrds.....I think I ended up getting it for like 30 bucks.   It does not turn image upside down.
Its actually the same as this one thats for sale on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/295826115783?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=295826115783&targetid=1530439029971&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9010076&poi=&campaignid=20394395165&mkgroupid=153051241113&rlsatarget=pla-1530439029971&abcId=9317277&merchantid=762071244&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwn7mwBhCiARIsAGoxjaJFiLG_QxkDa8C7jaJmGS1s_S4T2jY3_Azjm1i-kTCQu2EnMGbapqsaAnAgEALw_wcB
works great

Every thread on telescopes and binoculars has that guy that says, you get what you pay for. Good optics aren't cheap.  So today I'm that guy!

Get a good tripod to go with whatever glass you choose.  Mediocre glass on a good tripod will give you better service than premium glass on a flimsy tripod.

Don't be in a hurry to buy.  Look through a lot of options before purchasing.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Every thread on telescopes and binoculars has that guy that says, you get what you pay for. Good optics aren't cheap.  So today I'm that guy!

Get a good tripod to go with whatever glass you choose.  Mediocre glass on a good tripod will give you better service than premium glass on a flimsy tripod.

Don't be in a hurry to buy.  Look through a lot of options before purchasing.

Yes sir.  I know that I'll need to spend some coin to get a scope that will work well, especially with my old eyes.  That's why I would like to find something that can serve more than just one purpose.  I also agree with purchasing a really good tripod.  I did photography for many years and still have a good tripod left from those days.  The problem will be finding someplace to look through a lot of telescopes.  I live near Houston, so there is probably a store that specializes in telescopes, but I don't know where it is.  There used to be one on the south side, but that was 30 years ago.  I don't think it's still there.  If I just get a spotting scope that should not be a problem.  I know of a few long range shooting clubs that I can go to and ask around.  

• Like 1

ive used a surveyors instrument in the past but since it is now well over 100 years old ive put it back in its proper display place , ive also used a high end scope in the past but they seem to find their way on a rifle at some point , i have a low end spotting scope that works OK , for mist of what i do , i have two telescopes but never thought to use them - they seem bulky and cumbersome to take to the range - id use the high quality binoculars before id turn to them , just  my 2 bits 

I did consider that a telescope would not be the most convenient choice, but I only shoot in my backyard so that makes it an option.  I also only shoot the longer ranges a couple of times a month so that makes setup time less of an issue too.  I do appreciate you bringing this up though.  I would hate to have not thought about it and then buy a telescope that I found to be too much of a pain to use.

The rifle scope works OK out to about 200 yards, but at 400 I can't see the bullet holes too well.

If the telescope idea doesn't pan out the worse case is that I buy a good spotting scope.  I was just hoping to get something that I could use for more than one purpose.

On 4/6/2024 at 10:21 AM, Jim Brown said:

On Richmond in Houston.

https://landseaskyco.com/

On 4/7/2024 at 7:31 PM, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

Also on Richmond in Houston and I've gotten some great bargains there: https://www.houstoncameraexchange.com/

Thank both of you for the links.  I'll check both of them next time I get to Houston.