SASS Wire Forum

There is a gun auction tomorrow

Alpo

It's in Alabama, so I have no interest in going to it. They had 256 pictures of the guns that were going to be there, except they had very little description of what the guns were, and they would show both sides but they wouldn't do it one after the other so it looked like, "Hey they've got a Colt pocket 25. Oh, and look, they've got another one." Because those two pictures would be 10 or 15 pictures apart.

But they did have two guns that intrigued me.

First they had a fixed sight, stainless steel (I'm guessing stainless because of the color of the hammer and the trigger) 38 Special Smith & Wesson with a full length under lug. I have never heard of such a gun.

32fd065c-82d7-451f-a80e-452096b37230.thumb.jpg.cc12e271fec91e5399331a225efd61a6.jpg

And they had a Colt Diamondback in 44 Magnum.

a378f406-5738-422d-9a43-28b9920e3174.thumb.jpg.6d2ef1ee8694bbee6549e805d7a72162.jpg

That would be something to stick in the old collection, wouldn't it? Extremely rare.

That stainless S&W looks to be a Model 681, think a fixed sight 686. 

As for the .44 Magnum Diamondback, I don't think so. The Diamondback was a smaller framed revolver. They were only made in .22 and .38. I think, and I may be wrong here, that it's the same frame as a Detective Special. 

• Like 2

I've bought a bunch of used guns through auction houses that only deal with firearms and firearm related stuff.   If the auction house can't correctly identify the gun or provide a decent description of the gun, then it's probably a good idea not to do business with them

I have never heard of a 681 before. Obviously it's been too long since I've bought a new gun.

But according to the all-knowing internet, a 681 was a 357. And as you can see from the barrel in that picture, that's a 38 special.

20 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

The Diamondback was a smaller framed revolver. They were only made in .22 and .38. I think, and I may be wrong here, that it's the same frame as a Detective Special. 

You are correct sir. The Diamondback is a smaller gun than a Smith & Wesson M&P. It's the same size as a Colt Police Positive Special - a D frame, which is bigger than a Smith and Wesson J but it's smaller than a Smith and Wesson K.

And yes, it was only made in 22 and 38 Special.

I posted that picture just to show an example of the stupidity of the people running this auction.

They also are selling a "Baby Colt".

37740434-a97c-478a-8d05-028b966422fc.jpg.68adfefb0475d2408f5abfd1dbe23f7b.jpg

A very similar 25 was actually called the Baby Browning, but that Colt is a 1908 Vest Pocket, not a Baby.

And I really love this one. I can't tell whether that's an actual 1919, or a Tipmann in 22 long rifle. And that crank at the back of it is puzzling. I'm guessing you're supposed to hold the trigger with your left hand while you turn the crank with your right hand, therefore supposedly making it act like it's full auto, while not really being full auto?

a01a3da6-afad-469e-87d2-b76bd1897f66.thumb.jpg.5268bf8757d913951466d047417aad98.jpg

I have a hard time with sellers that can’t or won’t put model numbers or pertinent info with guns. 

If it’s an individual that isn’t sure I can understand that, but an auction? No. I don’t bother with them. 

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

You are correct sir. The Diamondback is a smaller gun than a Smith & Wesson M&P. It's the same size as a Colt Police Positive Special - a D frame, which is bigger than a Smith and Wesson J but it's smaller than a Smith and Wesson K.

And yes, it was only made in 22 and 38 Special.

I posted that picture just to show an example of the stupidity of the people running this auction.

They also are selling a "Baby Colt".

37740434-a97c-478a-8d05-028b966422fc.jpg.68adfefb0475d2408f5abfd1dbe23f7b.jpg

A very similar 25 was actually called the Baby Browning, but that Colt is a 1908 Vest Pocket, not a Baby.

And I really love this one. I can't tell whether that's an actual 1919, or a Tipmann in 22 long rifle. And that crank at the back of it is puzzling. I'm guessing you're supposed to hold the trigger with your left hand while you turn the crank with your right hand, therefore supposedly making it act like it's full auto, while not really being full auto?

a01a3da6-afad-469e-87d2-b76bd1897f66.thumb.jpg.5268bf8757d913951466d047417aad98.jpg

The few crankfire kits I've seen do not require a finger on the trigger, the crank presses the trigger.  

Using the catalog would tell you what it is.

Screenshot_20240329-202009_Gallery.jpg

13 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Using the catalog would tell you what it is.

If you can find a catalog on this website, you are doing better than me.

https://www.estatesales.net/AL/Newton/36352/4000077?utm_source=yahoo.com&utm_medium=email&utm_term=32405&utm_content=Panama-City-FL&utm_campaign=2024-03-29-1DaysBefore

Interesting. Sometimes auctions, like gunshows, there are people who don't know what they have. It's simple. They don't know. It's called experience. Nothing wrong with being a newby and being confused by an 'oddity". But in confusion, there is profit, LOL.

That S&W 681.

My Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson by Supica/Nahas lists the following on page 268/69 in the 681 section which may be applicable.

Two were made for NYPD in 38sp, DAO. 4"

465 were made for the ConRail Police. They had the not-wide hammer/trigger and a shorter 38sp length cylinder. The pistol in the pic above appears to have a 357-length cylinder. These pistols were marked CRPD over the trigger guard.

There were runs made for other police departments/agencies, but do not appear to be 38's. The L frame series were typically357 magnum. In contrast, the Model 20 is an N frame, 38/44. (Yes there was a pre-20 version) N frame in 38 special, made for Austin City Police and others so yes, S&W made pistols in calibers that model wasn't originally chambered in either as a special order or small run. John Jovino's in NYC was famous for commissioning some of these oddities.

• Like 2

I gave up on auctions, estate sales and gun shows a very long time ago.
Here in my area, all are vastly over priced, charge for admission and charge for parking.
One still has to submit the background check forms, do the 10 day waiting period then come back after to pick up the gun.

PITA.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

These pistols were marked CRPD over the trigger guard.

Yeah, that's it.

a7914cf2-df0c-48ac-985a-92fd2ee2e559.thumb.jpg.4464b19c4b8b98580b3471ca3a0e0db5.jpg

Blow the picture up and it clearly shows crpd stamped right above the trigger.

• Like 1

The only Colt 44 Magnum - not just snake gun 44 Magnum but Colt 44 magnum period - that I'm aware of is the Anaconda.

But I don't think they ever made a short barrel one. Six and eight, and possibly a four, but not a two.