SASS Wire Forum

Dog had surgery

Alpo

They said not to feed her anything after 10:00 last night. I wondered about that. I think when I had knee surgery they said nothing for 12 hours. But - so she had supper at 6:00.

And on her surgical Bill there is a $48 charge for some medicine because she was throwing up her half digested kibble. From 6:00 at night to 9:00 in the morning and it isn't digested yet? Oh well.

IMG_20240326_160422823.thumb.jpg.d31baa2b0df196019a7b743a4138c10c.jpg

She is not happy. And she bumps that cone on everything.

• Sad 6

56 minutes ago, Alpo said:

They said not to feed her anything after 10:00 last night. I wondered about that. I think when I had knee surgery they said nothing for 12 hours. But - so she had supper at 6:00.

And on her surgical Bill there is a $48 charge for some medicine because she was throwing up her half digested kibble. From 6:00 at night to 9:00 in the morning and it isn't digested yet? Oh well.

Get an inflatable cone.  My dog had one that cost about $15.00 and it worked perfectly.  The sides kept her from digging at the surgery but the front allowed her to eat, drink, go up and down steps, etc.   Just make sure you get the right size.  They can be used over and over if necessary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Poor baby. She does not look amused.

• Like 1

Forty, she said to tell you thank you for the suggestion. It is much more comfortable.

IMG_20240327_095148592.thumb.jpg.e9ef94203fc81a7ba0c72b5024814cff.jpg

And it is so much easier to get a drink.

IMG_20240327_095430237.thumb.jpg.29e11976d50a8ebd887a9c30509ffe66.jpg

Her only problem now is she wants to be let outside, and the vet said not for two weeks, till the stitches come out. I'm to take her out on a leash to do her business, but I can't just let her go out in the yard by herself.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

How is Ms. Worthless today?

She almost looks like she's smiling in the picture, I know that dogs don't smile. Tails don't lie though.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I believe she's going to be happier.

As you can see from the first picture, the cone extended past the end of her muzzle. When she pees, first she puts her muzzle down in the grass and smells it to make sure it's a good spot to pee. With the cone she couldn't get her face in the grass, so she couldn't pee. She eats by taking a mouthful of food out of her dish and dropping it on the floor and then eating atIT a piece of theAT A time. With the cone she couldn't get her mouth down to the floor, so she couldn't eat.

She could drink, after a lot of finagling, where the cone would be inside the bottom of the dish and she would be drinking out of the top of the dish. But when she would finish her drink and pick her head up, the cone would flip the dish over.

That cone was not a good choice.

Edited by Alpo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I also don't think she slept last night. Every time she tried to lay down that hard plastic cone would hit the floor making a loud noise, and she would get back up.

She's flopped out snoring right now.

IMG_20240327_122327773.thumb.jpg.f5a5dc7cffc02fba9b3a806d1b2f6c73.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice on the inflatable donut @Forty Rod SASS 3935

My daughter’s dog is a little hellion with the “Cone of Woe”. He won’t eat, he won’t drink. He purposely rams it into things the gives everybody woeful looks, stares actually. He will just sit and stare at you trying to make you feel guilty, I guess. 

@Cypress Sun I am sure dogs smile. My girl Maddie would smile when she felt good. We lost her in November due to bone cancer. Poor girl. I miss her so. 

Here she is a couple of weeks before things went bad. I had just asked her if she wanted some bacon. 
image.thumb.jpeg.7d7d2a704ef73d021271e8c02c2073d9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Today she had her stitches removed. I think she knew what was going on, because she was really anxious to get out of the house and get in the truck.

Afterwards I asked the lady if she could now go play in the yard and roll in the dirt and in general be a dog. Because for the last 2 weeks the only time she'd go out of the house would be on a leash, and as soon as she peed or pooped we went back in the house. And I wouldn't let her lay down in the yard. Is she laid down I'd pull on the leash until she stood back up. Keep it clean, keep it dry.

And the lady told me that yes, she could now be a dog again.

This wonderful picture was taken through the bedroom window. Between the glare and whatever the hell is on that window, you can just barely see her. Out there laying under a bush in the shade, like she normally does 12 months out of the year.

00dog.thumb.jpg.c89a7a6d9480b8571041527c7628fe69.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4