SASS Wire Forum

Country boy driving in the city.

Almost 60 years of driving and if you excuse hitting deer, I've not had an accident.  Knock on wood.  But city driving drives me crazy.  And I've driving in some big cities. L.A., Dallas Fort Worth, Atlanta and others. Just yesterday going into Columbia, that's not that big, 80k I think, on a busy boulevard the light turned yellow about 100' before the light.  I put on my brakes and looked behind me. My tailgater did slow down and we came to a stop at the light. I'm sure if I'd sped up and went through on yellow, he would have too. Just as it turned red some idiot blasted past in left lane and ran the red light. 

• Sad 3

I drove truck for 47 years. I ran basically coast to coast and have been in 5 Provinces of Canada. Big cities never used to bother me. Anymore...I try to avoid big citied...or even medium sized ones. Just do not like the traffic and idiots anymore.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I taught Big Red, my son, to glance both ways even when approaching a steady green.

He still got nailed by a red light runner.

Thank goodness for his dash camera as the woman tried to claim she had the green.

His dash cam was knocked off the dash by the collision and since it was almost midnight and no one else around, I guess she thought she'd get out of it or at least muddy the waters.

OOPS!

SMILE! YOU'RE ON CANDID CAMERA! 

Edited by Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

When we were coming back out the same boulevard,  we had to negotiate getting around a finder binder at the entrance to a down ramp to the highway.  I was watching where I was going but looked like 3 cars involved.  Police cars and wreckers and rollback. 

when my wife and i travel we avoid big cities - there is nothing we want or need there , i like the backroads and she likes seeing things we never would see if we didnt get off the interstate , i also hate tolls 

Posted (edited)

Yesterday Mary and I went out to lunch and some shopping at a Dutch market.  Two lane highway turned to four lines divided.  That's when the action begins.  Everyone behind you try for first place. I was doing the speed limit.  A Walmart tractor trailer came around me slowly.  Took him a mile.  Hardly after the rear of the trailer got past us, he signaled an started to move over into the right lane in front of us - too close for comfort.  Then comes an SUV right on his tail. Didn't wait for him to get over but bullied his way past by going off the lane on the right side. Maybe his wife's water broke or something?  

Edited by Warden Callaway
  • Sad 2