SASS Wire Forum

Underage drinking very costly

My son had 4 friends who were between 17-19 years old, none old enough to drink.  One in particular he hung out with often and wanted to go into business with.  

evidently they thought it’d be a good idea to all drink and be out at 2:30 in the morning and all ride with the 17 year old girl.  

she wrecked, one boy and girl are dead, my sons friend is in critical condition with brain bleed and multiple skull fractures and is on oxygen.  The driver has broken ribs and collar bone and will be charged.

• Sad 9

I’m hoping that they all learn from it.  I’m thankful my son was home.  He works for the John Deere dealer fixing tractors so had to be at work at 6:30 so glad he was home sleeping.  

• Like 4

He often complained I had a 10:30 if not sooner curfew when he lived at home.  He now lives in the cabin behind us.  Maybe now he understands why I had curfews all those years.  2:30 is late for anyone, my dad always said “nothing good happens after 9pm”. He was so right.  

• Like 4

nothing good happens after midnight , im so sorry to hear of this , its not anything we want for the youth in our lives they are the future 

When I was a 10th grader, one weekend I learned that two upper classmen had been involved in a car wreck, horribly killing one of them. They had been drinking and smoking pot. The driver, after getting out of the hospital, somehow avoided any serious charges and about six months after the accident I saw him drinking at another party. His actions had killed his best friend and through his sheer arrogance, or absolute idiocy did not seem to care.

Laws and charges in punishment have certainly changed since then and I don’t think one could escape finding serious jail time for that now but that doesn’t change the fact that people are mangled and dead and those families will always struggle with those losses.

Fast forward a number of years and when my son was in junior high, he came home and told me a story of how a kid at school got arrested by the police for possession of marijuana in his school locker. Come to find out it was the son of the person I mentioned in my first paragraph who was high when he killed his best friend in that car wreck. The apple certainly does not fall far from the tree sounds to me like the whole damn family needs to be in the clink.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I asked my son why were these still in high school kids out so late and he said because their parents don’t care and because they are over 18 so can’t stop them.  I’m thinking about what my dad said often,” so long as you live under my roof you better be in bed before I am, and as long as you are under my roof you obey my rules “.  

The boy that died turned 19 in February and the girl that died is a senior but turns 19 on the 19th of this month.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

An 18 year old girl also still in school.  The local gas stations and liquor stores don’t check ID,  they had been hanging out at the Walmart parking lot every night and after drinking there went for a ride.  2 of them lived 30 minutes away from here but hang out at our walmart

• Sad 2

On 3/9/2024 at 4:46 PM, Trigger Mike said:

My son had 4 friends who were between 17-19 years old, none old enough to drink.  One in particular he hung out with often and wanted to go into business with.  

evidently they thought it’d be a good idea to all drink and be out at 2:30 in the morning and all ride with the 17 year old girl.  

she wrecked, one boy and girl are dead, my sons friend is in critical condition with brain bleed and multiple skull fractures and is on oxygen.  The driver has broken ribs and collar bone and will be charged.

Stupid should hurt, makes for a better "Don't do that again" life lesson.

9 hours ago, Rolling Roulette said:

Who was driving the car ? 

From the OP:  "...ride with the 17 year old girl.  ...she wrecked..."

30 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

From the OP:  "...ride with the 17 year old girl.  ...she wrecked..."

I was wrong about her age based on what my son told me, turns out she was 18.  

Dad always told me, "One boy is one boy, two boys is half a boy, and three boys is none at all."
His comment was directed at me hunting prairie dogs with the 22 when solo or the BB rifle with other boys.
The same applies to alcohol and parties.

• Like 2

Most young adults think they are bulletproof and never gonna die...they do stupid s***. 

Be glad that your son wasn't with them that night. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

Edited by Cypress Sun
  • Like 3