SASS Wire Forum

Why Gun Owners Should Oppose John Cornyn as Senate Minority Leader

It wouldn't let me send the message! Apparently I'm not a constituent!

What exactly did he do to erode gun rights ?  Please be specific.

Best Wishes

:FlagAm:

2 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

I would dig deeper, but took a quick look and found this:

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/06/23/senate-john-cornyn-bipartisan-gun-deal/

That should be specific enough for anyone!! Cornyn is a sellout!!  He is no friend to the Constitution!!

• Like 2

I took a second look. "Cornyn" is mentioned 4 times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipartisan_Safer_Communities_Act

Negotiations in the Senate over narrower bill

On May 24, 2022, Senator Kyrsten Sinema met with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and Senate Minority Whip John Thune for advice on which Republican senators would be willing to negotiate a gun control bill. They directed her to Senators John Cornyn and Thom Tillis. Thirty minutes later, Senator Chris Murphy texted Sinema to join the negotiation, as Murphy had been one of the Senate's most prominent gun control advocates since the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in his state in 2012. Cornyn, Murphy, Sinema, and Tillis began negotiations the next day.[7]

On June 12, a group of 10 Democrats and 10 Republicans came to an agreement on a framework outlining the provisions of the bill.[8] Provisions regarding "red flag laws" and the "boyfriend loophole" were contentious during Senate negotiations, and Cornyn walked out during talks on June 16.[9] The text of the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act was released on June 21.[10]

Reception

During negotiations, Cornyn was booed at a Republican Party of Texas convention for his involvement in the bill, and the RPT adopted a resolution against his involvement. Following the release of the text, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell expressed support for the bill while the National Rifle Association and many other groups opposed it.[10] The bill was endorsed by President Joe Biden[16] and by gun-control advocacy groups such as Everytown for Gun Safety.[10]

Newsweek journalist Jake Thomas praised the law, while also stating that it was weaker than the 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban due to its lack of bans on "so-called assault weapons,"[17] that being AR platform rifles and other firearms made to look similar to machine guns. Reason journalist Jacob Sullum criticized the law, saying it "would unjustly deprive Americans of their second amendment rights" and would subsidize "state laws that suspend gun rights without due process."[18]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, John Kloehr said:

Reason journalist Jacob Sullum criticized the law, saying it "would unjustly deprive Americans of their second amendment rights" and would subsidize "state laws that suspend gun rights without due process."[18]

That is the Red Flag provision of the bill. The bill includes funding for states which choose to implement Red Flag legislation.

• Thanks 1
On 3/9/2024 at 4:28 PM, Texas Jack Black said:

Still nothing specific. that would violate the 2nd.

SO!! What part of “SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED” do YOU  not understand??

Cornyn obviously views the Second Amendment as a privilege, not a RIGHT!  Not someone that I’d want leading ANYTHING having to do with any kind of legislation!!!

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

SO!! What part of “SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED” do YOU  not understand??

Cornyn obviously views the Second Amendment as a privilege, not a RIGHT!  Not someone that I’d want leading ANYTHING having to do with any kind of legislation!!!

With all due respect  These rights are not absolute. We have forms to fill out when we buy  we have age restrictions etc.

Best Wishes

• Confused 3
1 hour ago, Texas Jack Black said:

With all due respect  These rights are not absolute. We have forms to fill out when we buy  we have age restrictions etc.

Best Wishes

This is true only because some lame brained politicians failed to properly represent their constituents and abrogated that right!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
5 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

This is true only because some lame brained politicians failed to properly represent their constituents and abrogated that right!!  

Does this right have any restrictions? You said" Shall Not Be Infringed" How about Felons, Rapists, Violent individuals, Mentally disturbed people,

Domestic abusers etc.?  How about children  Should we give Bank Robbers back there weapons after they are released from prison?

After all you said" Shall Not Be Infringed" just stand in line and pass out weapons to everyone;)

Best Wishes  :FlagAm:

• Sad 4
48 minutes ago, Texas Jack Black said:

Does this right have any restrictions? You said" Shall Not Be Infringed" How about Felons, Rapists, Violent individuals, Mentally disturbed people,

Domestic abusers etc.?  How about children  Should we give Bank Robbers back there weapons after they are released from prison?

After all you said" Shall Not Be Infringed" just stand in line and pass out weapons to everyone;)

Persons who are not legal citizens, persons who have been convicted of certain criminal offenses, non adults, and those who have had their rights revoked are not a part of the discussion.

Your extrapolations are, or seem to be, simply an attempt to be argumentative for the sake of argument!

Mr. Kloehr’s examples are certainly specific enough.  If you think that Cornyn is anywhere near the best choice for leadership, I’m forced to wonder whether you support the Second Amendment, or for that matter, the Constitution as it is written and amended.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Texas Jack Black said:

The point I am attempting to make is  If you take the time to read the entire Constitution you will understand that there are limits placed on these RIGHTS.

Best Wishes

2 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Persons who are not legal citizens, persons who have been convicted of certain criminal offenses, non adults, and those who have had their rights revoked are not a part of the discussion.

Your extrapolations are, or seem to be, simply an attempt to be argumentative for the sake of argument!

Mr. Kloehr’s examples are certainly specific enough.  If you think that Cornyn is anywhere near the best choice for leadership, I’m forced to wonder whether you support the Second Amendment, or for that matter, the Constitution as it is written and amended.

You said Shall Not Be Infringed  I am showing you that  They are Infringed just like all of our rights mentioned in the Bill Of Rights.

As to questioning my loyalty I suggest you look at my Service to this country check out my profile.

I know the Constitution and unlike some I know  its  meaning.

Best Wishes

The problem with putting limits on rights where do you stop? One person's common sense law is another persons overreach. Who gets to decide?

Should a person loose all of their rights forever for committing any crime or only some crimes? 

Should they only loose some of their rights?  If only some, which ones?

Should a person convicted of involuntary manslaughter for a stupid one time mistake be treated differently than a career bank robber that never used a gun?

Career criminals by definition do not follow the law.

Should a person loose their rights because they MIGHT commit a crime?

The problem with freedom is that it is dangerous. It means that you have to take responsibility. Our government was not set up to protect its citizens from themselves. The founding fathers did this intentionally. It was also set up to be very inefficent when it came to passing laws. This was to limit the governments powers. When we give the government too much power we loose our freedom.

I'll always choose dangerous liberty over a false sense of security. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, Texas Jack Black said:

The point I am attempting to make is  If you take the time to read the entire Constitution you will understand that there are limits placed on these RIGHTS.

Best Wishes

Those limits are placed by the Constitution and any amendments legally made to it! 

The purpose of the Constitution is to remove certain rights from the whim of the majority and to protect the people from runaway government.  Changes to it are to be made by the amendment process laid out in the Constitution itself!  Not by simple legislation or executive fiat!!

6 minutes ago, Texas Jack Black said:

You said Shall Not Be Infringed  I am showing you that  They are Infringed just like all of our rights mentioned in the Bill Of Rights.

As to questioning my loyalty I suggest you look at my Service to this country check out my profile.

I know the Constitution and unlike some I know  its  meaning.

Best Wishes

Thank you for your service!

However! I know of many who served who would, and some that have tried to, take away the rights of regular citizens!

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Texas Jack Black said:

Best Wishes

And you think it's OK to add more????? What other right has over 20K laws restricting it? "Shall not be Infringed" is pretty specific, don't ya think?

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The problem with putting limits on rights where do you stop? One person's common sense law is another persons overreach. Who gets to decide?

Should a person loose all of their rights forever for committing any crime or only some crimes? 

Should they only loose some of their rights?  If only some, which ones?

Should a person convicted of involuntary manslaughter for a stupid one time mistake be treated differently than a career bank robber that never used a gun?

Career criminals by definition do not follow the law.

Should a person loose their rights because they MIGHT commit a crime?

The problem with freedom is that it is dangerous. It means that you have to take responsibility. Our government was not set up to protect its citizens from themselves. The founding fathers did this intentionally. It was also set up to be very inefficent when it came to passing laws. This was to limit the governments powers. When we give the government too much power we loose our freedom.

I'll always choose dangerous liberty over a false sense of security. 

My point Exactly. Some rights should be restored but to say Not Be Infringed is a stretch. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

And you think it's OK to add more????? What other right has over 20K laws restricting it? "Shall not be Infringed" is pretty specific, don't ya think?

Never said to add more All  I said was where is this  infringement and some went looney over it. Once again please read the Bill Of Rights then read the entire Constitution and learn about our  system .

Best Wishes

:FlagAm:.

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Never said to add more  

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, Texas Jack Black said:

My point Exactly. Some rights should be restored but to say Not Be Infringed is a stretch. 

Not according to our forefathers.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Pretty plainly stated,

• Thanks 2

Well said, SD!!  I can find no place in the Constitution where the words “shall not be infringed” are contradicted with respect solely to the Second Amendment.

Any exceptions to that phrase are limited to those who have had their rights revoked, to those who are not citizens, and to minors who have not attained full citizenship.

The legislative infringements, the bureaucratic infringements, the infringements perpetrated by the executive branch, and those infringements allowed by agenda driven jurists are technically in violation of the Constitution and its amendments as written! 

Any limitations to the Second Amendment laid out in the Constitution and its amendments are also applied to all the other rights delineated in the whole of the document and in the Bill of Rights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/11/2024 at 1:41 PM, Texas Jack Black said:

Criminals as you mentioned do not have constitutional rights. They gave them up when they broke the law!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1