SASS Wire Forum

SASS Families

Yul Lose

One of the things that I noticed and a lot of EOT attendees noticed this year was the increase in younger participants. There were a bunch of young people there, young from my saddle was 20ish and younger. I’ve heard  different numbers and all of them were over 40!!!! I got to visit with some of the families of those kids and I posted pictures and I have to tell you they are a great bunch of kids.

So what I want to do is create a thread on each family using information supplied by the parents with their support to tell the stories of these young men and women and how they came to be involved in Cowboy Action Shooting. I’m already getting feedback and some of the numbers are staggering in the number of firearms needed, gun carts, leather, and ammunition and on and on, it’s not a low cost endeavor by any stretch of the imagination, especially now days.

To make this work I’d like to have all of you that know these individuals and families and have posseed with them tell about your experiences with them. Share some stories and help celebrate them playing the game that we all love. 

All you families with kids playing our game who would like to get the story out PM  me and we’ll connect and I’ll give you my email address and get things started. I’d like to post action pictures so I’ll need those and I’d like you family members to join in also and keep the threads alive, maybe with current updates and match happenings. If you’ve got a story to tell about your kids or grandkids that have become adults let’s post those stories too. 

What do you think?

Here are a couple of pictures of families that are going to help me get this started. The Chicken George family of shooters and the Mesquite Jenkins family of shooters.

IMG_1650.jpeg

Edited by Yul Lose
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

One of the things that I noticed and a lot of EOT attendees noticed this year was the increase in younger participants. There were a bunch of young people there, young from my saddle was 20ish and younger. I’ve heard  different numbers and all of them were over 40!!!! I got to visit with some of the families of those kids and I posted pictures and I have to tell you they are a great bunch of kids.

So what I want to do is create a thread on each family using information supplied by the parents with their support to tell the stories of these young men and women and how they came to be involved in Cowboy Action Shooting. I’m already getting feedback and some of the numbers are staggering in the number of firearms needed, gun carts, leather, and ammunition and on and on, it’s not a low cost endeavor by any stretch of the imagination, especially now days.

To make this work I’d like to have all of you that know these individuals and families and have posseed with them tell about your experiences with them. Share some stories and help celebrate them playing the game that we all love. 

All you families with kids playing our game who would like to get the story out PM  me and we’ll connect and I’ll give you my email address and get things started. I’d like to post action pictures so I’ll need those and I’d like you family members to join in also and keep the threads alive, maybe with current updates and match happenings. If you’ve got a story to tell about your kids or grandkids that have become adults let’s post those stories too. 

What do you think?

Here are a couple of pictures of families that are going to help me get this started. The Chicken George family of shooters and the Mesquite Jenkins family of shooters.

IMG_1650.jpeg

IMG_1725.jpeg

Yep, I think that it's just great having the young whipper snappers coming up behind us on the trail with a big smile on their faces at award time. Did have my Daughter Arizona Angel with us for a while then her husband got into it a little. Then Grand-Daughter got into it for short time. Now my son, Leadfinger  and his wife Darlin Darla involved now also.  It's just great to see all this. We need them to keep our great western theme going. Gotta love this great sport.

• Like 2

Myself, my wife and my 10 year old daughter shoot here in the UK. Well the wife and daughter have only shot once but loved it and want to continue. For my wife it's a new experience as she has only done clays and gallery shooting. My daughter plinks in the backyard with me with air rifles and pistols, as well as shoots clays so it was a natural extension for her. They both love the costuming element. I dont have a family photo but here is some video. both need to work on form (dont we all!) but it was a good start for them and the BWSS posse are helpful and encouraging, We all love it as its 2 days of shooting together, having fun, telling stories and enjoying goo company.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have my son and grandson shooting with me quite a bit

• Like 1

I miss having the Grandsons shooting with us.

At one State match years ago, I even left my posse in my daughter's capable hands & went & scored another posse at their request.  Great fun.

And it was so gratifying, in this day & age when you can't take your eyes off your kids for a skinny minute, to look across the range & see one of the boys running with somebody's dog; to be able to send them off with "don't be a problem to anybody" and know that, if they were, they'd be dealt with as I'd have dealt with them.

• Like 1

Come on folks I need your input and comments to keep these SASS Family threads going.

I love what you are doing with these family threads!  I had the great pleasure of being on a posse with the Hart family at Land Run 2023. Hayfever Hart and Thin Mint have two great kids (twins) that shoot matches with them. Calmity Gray and Hawkeye Hart.  The whole family is so much fun to shoot with and they bring a great deal of joy to all who are fortunate enough to be on their posse. 

Here's a video clip of the two kids shooting at Land Run 2023:

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

I love what you are doing with these family threads!  I had the great pleasure of being on a posse with the Hart family at Land Run 2023. Hayfever Hart and Thin Mint have two great kids (twins) that shoot matches with them. Calmity Gray and Hawkeye Hart.  The whole family is so much fun to shoot with and they bring a great deal of joy to all who are fortunate enough to be on their posse. 

Here's a video clip of the two kids shooting at Land Run 2023:

Can you hook me up with them so that I can get their own thread started?

This is my grandson Heartbrake Kid, in one picture a couple of his younger friends came out to watch him shoot, and he’s answering there questions. He’s been shooting going on 3yrs now and he really loves it. And I love having him with me.

IMG_0395.jpeg

IMG_0396.jpeg

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Great initiative of Yul's, be great to see some more families. 

Yes it would and it doesn’t have to be just families with younger kids, how about families with older kids and grandkids that enjoy CAS? Come on folks let’s keep these SASS Family threads going and growing.

• Like 1

There were 21 youth shooters that shot at EOT this year! They said that was a record. The future is looking bright for SASS. It was really cool to see and meet some of those families. 

Fill Yer Hand is just getting his kids started. He brought his daughter, Echo Sackett, who is 7 and very small for her age. She didn't shoot the main match (not included in the 21), but shot the warm up. She shot her dad's 12 gauge hammered double. We were all very impressed! She handles all her guns well and will be an excellent shooter before long. She is the first of what will be a large SASS shooting family. I believe they have 5 kids. 

I always enjoy seeing Evil Dogooder's family. My wife enjoys visiting with his wife, Little Miss Lou Who. His kids, Little Evil and Evil's Little Angel are becoming great shooters. 

Bush Ax Jack and his parents are always very friendly. He is an amazing shooter, usually getting into the top 16. He won the Junior Boy category. 

Hayfever Hart couldn't make it, but his wife, Thin Mint, brought their daughter, Calamity Gray and son, Hawkeye Hart. They are twins and I believe they are 10. The whole family is super friendly and outgoing. 

Mesquite Jenkins' family has already been mentioned, but we thoroughly enjoyed meeting them. They are wonderful people and true cowboys! 

We missed seeing Bucky Buckskin's daughters, Oakley Rose and Bellamy Belle, this year. They are both extremely good shooters. 

We also missed Joshua the Kid and his sister Brite N this year. Both excellent junior shooters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chicken George* said:

There were 21 youth shooters that shot at EOT this year! They said that was a record. The future is looking bright for SASS. It was really cool to see and meet some of those families. 

Fill Yer Hand is just getting his kids started. He brought his daughter, Echo Sackett, who is 7 and very small for her age. She didn't shoot the main match (not included in the 21), but shot the warm up. She shot her dad's 12 gauge hammered double. We were all very impressed! She handles all her guns well and will be an excellent shooter before long. She is the first of what will be a large SASS shooting family. I believe they have 5 kids. 

I always enjoy seeing Evil Dogooder's family. My wife enjoys visiting with his wife, Little Miss Lou Who. His kids, Little Evil and Evil's Little Angel are becoming great shooters. 

Bush Ax Jack and his parents are always very friendly. He is an amazing shooter, usually getting into the top 16. He won the Junior Boy category. 

Hayfever Hart couldn't make it, but his wife, Thin Mint, brought their daughter, Calamity Gray and son, Hawkeye Hart. They are twins and I believe they are 10. The whole family is super friendly and outgoing. 

Mesquite Jenkins' family has already been mentioned, but we thoroughly enjoyed meeting them. They are wonderful people and true cowboys! 

We missed seeing Bucky Buckskin's daughters, Oakley Rose and Bellamy Belle, this year. They are both extremely good shooters. 

We also missed Joshua the Kid and his sister Brite N this year. Both excellent junior shooters.

Thank you, Chicken George, I’d sure like to see these SASS Family threads keep going and new families featured. If you other SASS Families would like your family thread started just PM me or start it yourself. We celebrate our champions why not celebrate our families and up and coming champions?

• Like 1