SASS Wire Forum

Yellowed stainless NMVs

I recently picked up a boxed consecutive SASS-numbered set of extremely lightly used polished stainless steel .357 Mag NMVs made in 2014.  There are areas of steel on both guns that have a slight yellow tint, while other areas are bright white stainless in appearance.  To my eye, it looks like yellowed lacquer.  Has anyone seen this on Ruger NMVs?  My 2008 high polish stainless NMVs do not show anything similar.  Is it in fact some yellowed varnish or coating?  What is the best way to remove it without damaging the polished stainless finish?  Thanks in advance.

Nostrum Damus

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Remove grips.

Wipe down with a damp rag with acetone. 

Then wipe down with oily rag and reinstall grips.

Most likely you are seeing dried oil.

+1

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Remove grips.

Wipe down with a damp rag with acetone. 

Then wipe down with oily rag and reinstall grips.

Most likely you are seeing dried oil.

+1 for OLG

Update.  I removed the grips.  Decided to start the experiment with new mineral spirits.  Wiping did nothing.  Rubbing hard with spirits-soaked clean shop rags did the trick though, albeit with substantial elbow grease added.  I had to disassemble the ejector as well to get at all the nooks and crannies.  The entire outer metal surfaces of all parts of both guns had the microscopically thin yet amazingly stubborn yellowed whatever-it-was on it.  I then LIGHTLY oiled a silicone rag and wiped all surfaces again before reassembling both guns.  They are both bright shiny white high polish stainless again.  

OLG, I'll never know if acetone would have worked better or faster.  I had the time and elbow grease to spare, so I spent it.

• Like 1

You mentioned they were slightly used.  If a prior owner buffed out marks and scratches for re-selling, it is possible that the buffing abrasives used induced color.  In the  jewelry trade, buffing and surface  coloring go hand-in- hand. 

So you might first try acetone or spray carburetor cleaner and gentle rubbing with a clean rag.  Failing that, you might VERY CAREFULLY buff the stainless steel with ex-fine blue or soft white (NOT white diamond) abrasive compound. 

Be careful high-speed buffing on a wheel around the front site.  When heated up, a buff can pull the sites out of their keyway.  (Ask me how I learned that).