SASS Wire Forum

Light loads for 38 s&w

Jack Spade

I picked up a top break chambered in 38 s&w and would like to know what smokeless loads you guys are using in the pocket pistol side matches.  Yes I know the difference between a 38 special and 38 s&w.  Yes I have dies and reloading components.  Not really interested in shooting black powder.  I have just about any powder that might be recommended.

You need to find FIRST if the top break is modern enough to handle smokeless.   Many were built in the BP era and they quickly shoot loose even with light smokeless.   Tell us what you have for an iron. 

Be aware, we might just have to recommend BP or APP if the gun is old.   GJ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So from info I could find on the web it looks like the one I have is a black powder gun.  It is an Iver Johnson.  The owl on the grips faces forward, has the long cylinder leads and a leaf hammer spring.  The guy I got it from owned it for years and shot a lot of side matches with it and used light smokeless loads.  Serial number indicates it was made between 1909-1919.  I have some black powder, APP and 777 so that might be fun too!

This is from the 44th ed of Lyman I know it's a black powder gun but it might get you started in the right direction. 

or you might just drill out the cases and put a shotgun primer in them and no powder,  I have some wax bullet cartridges that are like that, not sure on the pressure though.

38 sw load data lyman 44.jpg

• Like 1

Yow-Ho Jack Spade:

In my Derringer .38special, I use .38 short Colt with 90gr bullet with 1.8gr Clays powder. Derringer Barrel is 2 3/4"

On some other times I shoot those also in .38 pistols using 110 gr bullet with 1.8grs Clays powder. Pistol Barrel 4 5/8".

All works great.  Also Note: Starline Brass is what I use.

Edited by Jackrabbit Joe #414

Unique  ! 

Enough Said 

Screenshot_20191219-064929_Photos.thumb.jpg.f046d355e1103309db8fbd5de186a949.jpg

• Like 1

It is an Iver Johnson.  The owl on the grips faces forward, has the long cylinder leads and a leaf hammer spring. 

Yes, those are all characteristics of a BP Iver Johnson top break.   I've got two....and if they get shot, it's only with BP. 

They both are slightly loose from previous owners doing just what your previous owner did - shot them with light smokeless loads.  Smokeless has a much different pressure curve than does BP - spikes up high and fast.

good luck, GJ

I use 1.5 grains of Bullseye and a 125 tc bullet . I’ve been shooting this load for side matches for over 20 years with no problems 

3 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Yes, those are all characteristics of a BP Iver Johnson top break.   I've got two....and if they get shot, it's only with BP. 

They both are slightly loose from previous owners doing just what your previous owner did - shot them with light smokeless loads.  Smokeless has a much different pressure curve than does BP - spikes up high and fast.

good luck, GJ

I hates BP, but I agree with GJ on this one, for the reasons he stated, and the reputation of the Iver Johnson top breaks.

I believe that if I were loading for an IJ top break, it would be with only with BP. A young shooter at our club has an antique top break, and loads only BP, and it just keeps on running, meet after meet. BP and a light(ish) bullet cast of soft(ish) lead. 

On 2/24/2024 at 7:16 AM, Jack Spade said:

So from info I could find on the web it looks like the one I have is a black powder gun.  It is an Iver Johnson.  The owl on the grips faces forward, has the long cylinder leads and a leaf hammer spring.  The guy I got it from owned it for years and shot a lot of side matches with it and used light smokeless loads.  Serial number indicates it was made between 1909-1919.  I have some black powder, APP and 777 so that might be fun too!

If the gun was made after 1900, it MAY be made fro smokeless powder. The IJ guns were decent guns [yes, I am a S&W snob]. Do some more checking, but you can always do your own BP loads and that way you KNOW it is safe.