SASS Wire Forum

Help identifying a magazine

Sedalia Dave

CJ is right, Steyr Aug magazine.  The Australian Army uses an Australian licensed built Steyr Aug as their standard issue rifle.

I recently got a bunch of Magpul 7.62x54/308 mags on sale for $14 each. I snagged a few and headed for the gun counter to pay. Normally these mags are $20-$30 depending on capacity. I like the 10 rounders. 
As the clerk was ringing me up I said “Cool, now I think I have enough mags for my SFAR.”

Another clerk said “I don’t think an SFAR will take AICS mags will it?”

Damnit! I grabbed 6 AICS mags. They were out of LR/SR mags. I wasn’t paying attention, but I was in a really good mood for a little while there. 

45 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

It is a Steyr AUG Magazine. 

https://magpul.com/pmag30ausgenm3window-5-56x45-steyraug-commercial.html?mp_global_color=118

How did you end up with that?

Please say “Oops. I forgot I owned an AUG. Want to see a picture of it?” :D

Saw it at our local gun show. Guy had a bunch of metal AR mags and this one odd ball. I see him every year and we were BSing. He pulled it out of the box and wanted to know if I knew what it fit.  He knew it didn't fit an AR. It was given to him by somebody at another show.

Knew a quick pic here would help ID the firearm it fit.

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

CJ is right, Steyr Aug magazine.  The Australian Army uses an Australian licensed built Steyr Aug as their standard issue rifle.

Made in Lithgow. 

image.png.84616fbe79b22b4dc04842417be3463f.png

Are Steyr AUG magazines compatible with Stanag magazines?
All related (32)
Sort
Recommended

Years of experience in firearms, reloading.Author has 190 answers and 905.4K answer views1y

No, they are different.

See the following photo…

The magazines at each end are “Stanag compatible” and will fit rifles compliant with that method of attachment (such as AR-15 variants).

The two in the middle are for the Steyr AUG. The translucent “waffle” magazine is an original Steyr magazine, and the other is a Magpul magazine made for the Steyr. Note the tabs on each side of the Steyr AUG magazine needed for anchoring and attachment to the rifle.

54 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Saw it at our local gun show. Guy had a bunch of metal AR mags and this one odd ball. I see him every year and we were BSing. He pulled it out of the box and wanted to know if I knew what it fit.  He knew it didn't fit an AR. It was given to him by somebody at another show.

Knew a quick pic here would help ID the firearm it fit.

I figured you bought a bunch of mags and it was mixed in with them. 

Archived