SASS Wire Forum

Dillon XL650 Dropping Second shell

Buckshot Bear

I have an irritating problem that's started with my Dillon XL650, its started to drop a second shell that sometimes will be lying horizontal and they usually end up getting crushed or mangled if it stays upright as I'm resizing the case that's going up into the resizing die.

Anyone got any hints on what to change/adjust so that it doesn't drop this second case (about 1 time out of 15 it's happening)?

20240211_113441.thumb.jpg.f31e8842ddacc64dc78634a2a32b3578.jpg

20240211_113450.thumb.jpg.07fa2b86b86650686f2e647fd6680c1c.jpg

20240211_113439.thumb.jpg.ecb557e2b2fcdb016c28f7bcbd7d40ac.jpg

20240211_113430.thumb.jpg.4e27dfc8a213691e2afdd81005146cce.jpg

If you have recently changed calibers make sure you changed the silver piece under the piece that goes back and forth bringing a shell casing to be dropped onto the feed slide.  Also make sure you have the insert in the piece that pivots under the casing feed tube.  Clean you case slide, track, and check the springs that pull the feed slide back forward.  Somehow it is letting more than one casing get on the slide.  Make sure your travel rod is adjusted the right length. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Spade said:

If you have recently changed calibers make sure you changed the silver piece under the piece that goes back and forth bringing a shell casing to be dropped onto the feed slide.  Also make sure you have the insert in the piece that pivots under the casing feed tube.  Clean you case slide, track, and check the springs that pull the feed slide back forward.  Somehow it is letting more than one casing get on the slide.  Make sure your travel rod is adjusted the right length. 

All your first suggestions have been checked off, The manual is pretty slim on how to "Make sure your travel rod is adjusted the right length".

If your loading 38 spl, your case feed tube adapter should be orange.  Looking at your picture, it looks like yours is green, which would be for 9mm.

This is how my Dillon conversion colors run.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

If your loading 38 spl, your case feed tube adapter should be orange.  Looking at your picture, it looks like yours is green, which would be for 9mm.

Yes I'm presently loading 9mm.

Never changed anything on the machine before (besides the normal quick change kit pieces) between 9mm and .38 but something is amiss now. 

I had a problem with the shuttle that moves back and forth from the case feeder tube to the final drop tube.  My spring got weak and wasn't fully returning.  This resulted in cases not getting dropped onto the shell plate but not multiple cases dropping.  Something around that shuttle may be gunked up and sticking.  It's got to be in that area if your getting multiple cases being dropped.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Clean the feeding tube

Did that a few months ago (first time in the nearly 20 years I've owned it) with Isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls and it very effectively cleaned off all the inside ring marks.

4 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Did that a few months ago (first time in the nearly 20 years I've owned it) with Isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls and it very effectively cleaned off all the inside ring marks.

Then it's time to do it again.

Same for primer feed tubes ;)

41 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Then it's time to do it again.

Same for primer feed tubes ;)

Pushed an earbud through them soaked in alcohol when I cleaned the feeding tube some months ago, I was surprised how much yellow primer compound was attached to the earbuds. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

What he typed

Buckshot,

The "Camming Pin" That operates the Case drop is completely out of adjustment and the "jam nut" is loose.  The Camming Pin is also quite loose in its housing or is bent.  The ramp the camming pin rides up on is completely shot (badly grooved) and needs replaced.  Dillon will send you a new one.  Replace the camming pin with a new after-market item with a roller bearing on the end.  Regardless, you're going to have to replace a couple of parts.  Or ship the whole thing back to DILLON (Not bloody likely Mate) for Re-Hab.  Also clean the little flipper dohickie that drops the cases and put a drop of oil on it.

I absolutely detest OTTO KORREKT 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Buckshot,

The "Camming Pin" That operates the Case drop is completely out of adjustment and the "jam nut" is loose.  The Camming Pin is also quite loose in its housing or is bent.  The ramp the camming pin rides up on is completely shot (badly grooved) and needs replaced.  Dillon will send you a new one.  Replace the camming pin with a new after-market item with a roller bearing on the end.  Regardless, you're going to have to replace a couple of parts.  Or ship the whole thing back to DILLON (Not bloody likely Mate) for Re-Hab.  Also clean the little flipper dohickie that drops the cases and put a drop of oil on it.

I absolutely detest OTTO KORREKT 

Thanks  CC, I've had this coming up to 20 years and reloaded a gazillion rounds. I wish we down here were as lucky as our U.S pards in regards to Dillon refurbs.

Dillon is good to us with parts - great company.

I have often thought of getting that camming pin with the little roller, I have got the roller bearing index cam mod.

Buckshot,

Super good you get the usual great service from DILLON.  Bearer of bad tiding though.  I forget the tech name of the ramp part, but it is so badly grooved adjusting the camming pin isn't going to help much if at all.  It's shot.  I can also highly recommend the "Hit Factor" bearing kit for the shell plate.  Amazing improvement over stock.  While you have it apart, might well do the whole enchilada :)

40 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

FYI Munk is a longtime Dillon employee has helped man the Dillon booth at Winter Range for years and is the handsome devil in the videos.

The Human Manual? 

3 hours ago, Mogollon Munk,SASS#303 said:

That would be me.....

Awesome @Mogollon Munk,SASS#303 glad to make your acquaintance on the Wire, I've watched (an rewatched) so many of your videos I feel I know you.

Thanks for sharing the Dillon knowledge so well as you do.

• Like 2