SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 9422: Which one is it?

The Winchester 9422.

Great rifle no matter how you slice it.  But, what would you "consider" it to be"

The name of course, 9422 implies that it's a .22 version of the Model 94, but we all know that's not true.

Others point out that while it's not one of them either, it is in some ways more similar to the Model 92 than the 94.

It matches the general profile of either rifle just fine.

With all of that in mind, if you were trying to, if for no other reason that a point in your collection, trying to put together a batter of rifles in .22, pistol caliber and rifle caliber lever actions, would you pair the 9422 with a 92 and and 86, or with a 94 in .44 Magnum and .30-30?   Or would you use a 9422 for both sets?

This is just a "for fun" experiment.  (Although I am doing this for a few different "families" of rifles.  Don't know if I'll complete the acquisition of everything)

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

Mine is in the category of a great rifle to shoot  and so glad I got it when I did.... 

Winchester 9422 .22LR Serial #F516427.JPG

Oh!   I like how shiny your stock is!   

I have two of them, to be honest.   My first one is the first rifle I ever owned, my father gave it to me when turned 12, and it's in .22 Magnum.

Then, about 2 or 3 years ago, I found one in a local shop in LR, and snatched it.  Surprised at how expensive they've gotten!

It's nothing at all like a 94 or 92 .

It's the fact the 94 was the best longest selling Winchester rifle .

So calling it a 9422 was probably more of a sales pitch like the 1 of 10000.

Any witch way it'd my favorite 22 rifle I have ever owned. 

Rooster 

• Like 1

I've heard a lot of good things about the 9422 over the years, but I have to tell you, my only experience with one was not too good. I bought one for my son somewhere back around 1990. It was a beautiful rifle. However that thing couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door if you shot it from the inside of the barn. I messed with that rifle for months trying all kinds of different brands of .22 LR ammo. Best I could do was a 3" group at 25 yards. I eventually traded it in for a bolt action that was very accurate, and he still has it to this day. I thought about buying another 9422 but I can't see paying the price they want for them these days. I have a Henry that shoots great that I use at local matches in the 22 Rimfire class a couple times a year.

I have an old 9422 that is very accurate.  Not sure of the date manufactured.  I call this gun my trusty rusty 9422.  I also have a 9417.    Very accurate rifle made in the early 2,000, can’t remember exact year.  Neither rifle is built like a 94 or 92.  I also have a 94 trapper in 357 that is my favorite truck rifle cause it’s short and handy.  This 94 is very accurate out to 100 yds.  I have terminated several coyotes with this rifle. 

mine dates to 1972 , its a vary nice rifle , [no its not the 92 nor the 94 ] i think marketing wanted minds to recall those when your attention came to the 22 lever you or your kid wanted , it resembles them visually , 

It belongs with your .22 collection.  Or... your lever collection that consists of any lever action ever made.  So you have many more to collect!  Start with a Volcanic...  end up with the S&W 1854... and everything in between!

8 hours ago, Griff said:

It belongs with your .22 collection.  Or... your lever collection that consists of any lever action ever made.  So you have many more to collect!  Start with a Volcanic...  end up with the S&W 1854... and everything in between!

Oh dang!  I have always loved lever actions.  Ever since I was a little kid, I thought they were cool.   How I became a Lightning guy is a mystery to me.

It was goal to have a complete Winchester collection, and over time, that has expanded a little, but not quite to every lever gun ever made.  Here are my current thoughts on it all, and the status thereof...

Winchester Family (Including shotguns)

Volcanic:  I think these are cool, especially the pistols, but since no one make a functional replica that can shoot modern ammo, I'll never have one.

Henry:  Uberti Replica, .44-40

1866:  Uberti made carbine, .44-40.  Uberti Rifle, .45 Colt.  Uberti .22.  (This is more like a brass frame replica of the Winchester 73 .22's than anything else.)

1873:  Winchester rifle .32-20.  Uberti .44-40.  I got a second stock for this one, which has a factory 16" barrel.  Chopped one of the stocks and put a big loop lever on it to create an ersatz 73 "Mares Leg Buntline."

1876:  Uberti replica, .45-60

1886:  Winchester, .45-70

1887:  Winchester.  Chiappa in "Terminator" configuration.

Model 88:  I don't have one of these...

1892:  Rossi carbine, .44 Magnum.  Armi San Marco rifle, .45 Colt, Winchester carbine, rebarreled to .44 Magnum and with big loop lever.  Winchester 92, .32-20

1893:  I actually found one in great mechanical condition

93/97:  Found one of these too,

1894:  Sears Ted Williams Model 100, .30-30.  Winchester .32 Winchester Special (pre-64), Winchester .44 Magnum, (pre-83)  All have 20" bbl

9422:  .22 Magnum.  First gun given to me by my father.  .22 RF.

1895:  .30-40 Krag.  My first Lever Gun purchase

1897:  20",  30", Trench Gun replica, Trap Model

1901:  Don't have.  

So, it's pretty complete.

Recently, I acquired a Marlin 1888, the early top eject model, in .32-20.  This makes me want to obtain a model 1881 in ,45-70 and an early .22 for completeness.  I may also eventually consider a battery of the side ejects, but we'll see.

Other stuff?  I dunno.  The Whitney Kennedy is interesting looking, but I don't know if I wanna go down that road.   Same with the Evans.   Not interested in the "Henry" family.  

And then there's "sub models" of Winchester which are esentially 92s, 94s or the 86 with a button magazine and maybe in odd calibers.  I hate button magazines. 

Is this a good start?

23 hours ago, Griff said:

i agree , mine is with my 22 cal collection the only one i still have somewhat intact , its just what it is - the 9422 , thats all its suposed to be i think 

mine has no checkering - id not have bought it if it did , i like them plain , 

i can relate to that selling off thinking you can rep[lace them , i did a bunch of that in the early 80s - it triggered my replacement effort later , that expanded to not only replacement of what i sold to most all of what i wanted as a kid and couldnt afford , now its expanded to things i see that i like ....things get out pof hand really fast dont they ? i have two full safes and a bit of overflow in locked pelicans ...im old enough to start divesting but just cant bring myself to p[art with anything again , 

havent had that issue with the SASS items but i do now have an accumulation of items i dont intend to part with , ......and i have at least one item im planning to buy , no good reason , just a desire i cant refuse