SASS Wire Forum

The Zip Tie Story

Interesting how products we assume are more recent than they really are.
Case in point, the....

Snip-it_1706557156736.thumb.jpg.a94dee00f6fcf1dec84d3ca08a9bd1b5.jpg

• Haha 1

My first encounter with zip ties and cable lacing was in the Navy in 1979.

When I worked at Hughes Aircraft some engineers wanted their equipment cabling secured with cable lacing. That term of “hamburger hands” in the video is very appropriate. What I hated most about doing that are the really fine cuts you would get in your fingers at the joints. Man, I hated that. 
I recall one engineer telling me that cable lacing is needed when pulling cabling through conduit. I reminded him that we were R&D. There was no conduit in what we did. I used zip ties anyway. He actually admitted he just liked the looks of cable lacing over zip ties. 

• Like 1

I first encountered zip ties in the seventies when I worked for a tractor sales and service company.  They were the second? generation with the metal tab that gripped the plastic strip.

It wasn’t long before the all plastic ties became available.  Some technicians were leery of the all plastic ones.

At first, zip ties were scarce where we were and we devised tools to release the tabs so that we could reuse the ones we encountered.  A ground down feeler gauge was my favorite tool for this. Ground to be narrow enough to slide into the head of the zip tie, you could slide it into the tie from the locking side and the strip would slide right out!

Nowadays, they’re so cheap and available, we don’t think twice about cutting ‘em off and letting the sweeper get ‘em!

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 2

not putting a zip tie around my neck , im not wearing a tie again if i can help it , wore one too long - near half my life , 

besides - that one is ugly 

Edited by watab kid
  • Haha 1

The last time I wore a necktie was August 14, 1976!

That’s the day that I allowed Schoolmarm to spring a trap on me.  She thought she had me, but she’s the one that got had!!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Chicken Rustler, SASS #26680 said:

This was my first exposure to zip ties

12.jpg

I had the motorcycle versions. Loved those things. 1969 or 70, I think. 

• Like 2

There is another use for Zip Ties I saw one time at a grocery store, in the "NO PARKING FIRE LANE" right at the end of the lowered ramp allowing shoppers to easily push their grocery cart to their car.

A car, bearing red and white plates, (Diplomatic plates here) decided the 30 foot walk from a designated parking slot was just too much and in he went to shop.

People stood around and must have waited twenty or so minutes to see his reaction on returning to his car.

Seems somebody had some extra Zip Ties and taking four shopping carts, Zipped one to each door handle of his car.

I don't think any calls about Diplomatic Immunity worked for that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

i never knew of those zip tie cars , i think its in a time zone when i was otherwise occupied , but it looks fun , 

so as to ties - i remember wearing them as a kid at some church events like christmas events , i remember wearing at first communion and confirmation events [raised catholic] i remember wearing a few times in high school for dances and graduation and such , some were my fathers , some were my grandfathers , some were gifts at holidays and some were kinda cool , but i wore one almost every day for near 35 years for work , i had probably 75 ties that i got rid of after that - all widths from narrow to wide and al kinds of patterns including a couple rush limbaugh ties not to mention those seasonal holiday ones my wife thought were cool , 

bottom line is im gonna request i never wear one again even after death , 

Edited by watab kid
  • Like 1

One of the funniest practical jokes ever pulled on me was when my crew put several heavy duty zip ties on the drive shaft of my truck and they left the free end long so when the shift rotated the zip ties would whack the bottom of my truck bed. 
My truck was packed for a week long camping/hunting trip. I was leaving work early to head out. As I backed my truck up I heard this gawd-awful noise. I moved forward so I could see what was wrong and I was thinking “That’s just great! I try to get away and have some fun and now this!” Those thoughts were laced with various cuss words.

The noise was there moving forward as well. 
I got out and as I was crouching down to look under the truck I look at the Heavy Repair bay doors of my rail shop and I see all these faces peering through the 4 windows grinning at me. They quickly disappear.
I look under the truck and see the zip ties. 

I look back at the windows and the grinning faces are laughing. :lol:
I wasn’t even the slightest bit mad at that point. That was a damn funny prank. 
A couple of the guys came out with cutters and helped remove the zip ties. I am sure they were the ones that put them on. :rolleyes:
I laughed all the way to Big Bear, CA.

That was a good one. I still laugh about it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3