SASS Wire Forum

Rossi 92 Saga Continues

ZigMar

Background: I've got a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt that has developed a nose up failure to feed jam tendency.  Awhile back, early last year, it was spitting out live rounds when working the lever.  I found the right hand cartridge guide to be cracked (at the screw hole) and I replaced it.  The rifle behaved for awhile and now this.  Yes, all the screws are tight.  Yes, I've taken it apart all the way and cleaned thoroughly.   After a  good cleaning, it behaves for a few rounds, say 1 match, and then acts up again.  Yes, I've double and tripled checked cartridge length.  Originally, the rifle wasn't "great" out of the box, but it didn't give me this many problems.  I've thought should replace the left cartridge guide too as both the originals seemed "soft" and were wearing more quickly than I would of thought they should, rifle is about 5 years old, at the most and I shoot once or twice a month.  But I'm having problems finding a left hand cartridge guide in 45 Colt.

First question, thoughts on the above?

Second question(s), is Steve of Steve's Guns still "the one" when it comes to working on Rossi's?  Note: I haven't had a chance to try to contact him yet, my work schedule is "weird".  If he's winding down or way backed up, anyone else out there doing good gunsmithing on Rossi's?

Steve still does great work on 92s or 73s. He is often backed up but worth a call. I am sure the other cowboy smiths could help you too. Steve might be able to get you the part you need to do it yourself.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ZigMar said:

Second question(s), is Steve of Steve's Guns still "the one" when it comes to working on Rossi's?  Note: I haven't had a chance to try to contact him yet, my work schedule is "weird".  If he's winding down or way backed up, anyone else out there doing good gunsmithing on Rossi's?

Yes Steve's Guns is still the go to for Rossi 92s.. Give him a call. He is great to work with.

• Like 4

What is your overcall cartridge length?  I had problems like you describe, stove pipes, live round jack out, with mine when running .44 Specials in it.  Switched to Magnums, problems went away.  You say you've checked, but are you at the max?

Wild guess on my part.

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Check the cartridge guide gap. If you drop a cartridge onto the carrier between the guides, you should only have 2-5 thousandths gap when you measure with feeler gauges. My 45 Colt Rossi had a very large gap. I ended up installing a shim behind the RIGHT cartridge guide. Do not install on the Left guide, as this would space your magazine cartridge stop out a corresponding amount. If that doesn’t cure it, play with cartridge length and or bullet style again. If your gun has some wear, it may prefer something different. 

Sam Sackett 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all.  I took another another closer look at my Rossi attempting to cycle both inert (dummy) rounds (COAL 1.574"), same as what I reload live ammo, and also snap caps (COAL 1.552", at least the ones I have.  Right now, the rifle is filthy as I haven't yet cleaned it since last Saturday's match, and I cannot even fit a 0.0008" feeler gauge between the cartridge presented and the RH cartridge guide; the lifter doesn't lift the round all the way without a firm press at the end of the lever stroke.  Once the round is in the fully "up" position and presented, the snap caps feed just fine, the dummy rounds are just as apt to nose-up-jam than not.  I think I may now be chasing two problems.  Not enough clearance on the new RH cartridge guide and an overall cartridge length problem.  Additional thoughts anyone?

I'll try to get a hold of Steve at Steve's guns too.

:ph34r:  Tim, I believe I have tucked away in my shop one of Steve's CD's detailing '92 anatomy and care.  I'll dig it out tomorrow.  Also, while you're working on yours, I have a Navy Arms '92 in .45 Colt you are welcome to use.  When I shot it I discovered it didn't like any bullets lighter than 200 gr.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ZigMar said:

Right now, the rifle is filthy as I haven't yet cleaned it since last Saturday's match,

This might also be a part of the problem.   I have found that some guns, especially my Lightnings, must be kept clean to work right.  I remember once at a 2 day match, my Rossi acted a little funky on day 2.  Ever since then, I clean my guns after every match, and if it's a 2 day, after day one I at least flushit out with gunscrubber and  re oil it before day 2.

On 1/8/2024 at 7:22 AM, ZigMar said:

Background: I've got a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt that has developed a nose up failure to feed jam tendency.  Awhile back, early last year, it was spitting out live rounds when working the lever.  I found the right hand cartridge guide to be cracked (at the screw hole) and I replaced it.  The rifle behaved for awhile and now this.  Yes, all the screws are tight.  Yes, I've taken it apart all the way and cleaned thoroughly.   After a  good cleaning, it behaves for a few rounds, say 1 match, and then acts up again.  Yes, I've double and tripled checked cartridge length.  Originally, the rifle wasn't "great" out of the box, but it didn't give me this many problems.  I've thought should replace the left cartridge guide too as both the originals seemed "soft" and were wearing more quickly than I would of thought they should, rifle is about 5 years old, at the most and I shoot once or twice a month.  But I'm having problems finding a left hand cartridge guide in 45 Colt.

First question, thoughts on the above?

Sending you my Rossi fix information Sure hop it helps. It worked for me. Let me know how iot goes

Rossi Fix Pg4.jpg

Rossi Fix Pg 1.jpg

Rossi Fix Pg 2.jpg

Rossi Fix Pg 3.jpg

Edited by Jackrabbit Joe #414
  • Thanks 1

Zig Mar My Rossi is a 38/357 below photo.  Also adding my bullets length is; 105-110 1.045 and 90 gr rd. nose at 3.080

God bless & take care.

Rossi Puma .38 caliber Large Loop.jpg

Edited by Jackrabbit Joe #414
  • Like 1

Ok Marauder another helpful hand pilgrim. Sure hope he gets taken care of. God bless pilgrim.

JRJ