SASS Wire Forum

Cell phones

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I have now been without a cell phone for over two weeks and with my medical issues I can't live (possibly literally) without one.   Can anyone suggest an easy to use, inexpensive, reliable, preferably flip type phone that doesn't involve Best Buy, Verison, or Consumer Cellular that I can get ready to operate out the door?  I'd really like to find a real store that has real people who can explain things to me and show me a working unit before I buy.  I remember buying a phone and being able to walk out the door with it ready to use immediately.  I don't want to have to get it running on my own.

I bought a phone that didn't work.  After paying more than the phone cost to a tech shop, the carrier company sent me a new one that has exactly the same problem: it cannot connect to the internet.

I don't want nor need all the gee whiz features that most phones offer these days.

I don't have any recent experience with flip phones, so can't directly suggest any.  But your best bet might be to go to a repair shop, talk with a tech, tell him exactly what you want and ask for suggestions.

Or maybe try a T-Mobile store.

image.thumb.png.198a3491a9884b3022ddfecbf2e85ac7.png

I’ve got a IPhone the latest version but the low end model, it was $399. I’m on a plan with my son and his mom (my ex) with ATT. I have no complaints whatsoever!

Already been to a repair shop, twice, to the tune of $100.00 for $60.00 cellphone.  They finally contacted someone at Lively who sent me a replacement phone....which had the same problem.

I'll try to find a T-Mobile store once the sun is up and I get some SOS in my system.

Thanks for that tip.

1 minute ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Already been to a repair shop, twice, to the tune of $100.00 for $60.00 cellphone.  

You went to get a phone repaired, go in and explain just what you posted in the OP and ask for suggestions.  Two different things.  I've found that people who work on and with things tend to know more than people who just try to sell them.

FURLONG!!  I have a nice, compact iPhone that easily fits into my shirt pocket. It has tons of features that I DON’T use, but it makes and receives calls, will pick up and send emails, and it keeps my contact list for easy reference.  It also “bluetooths” to my hearing aids so that I can hear my caller’s voices and I learned how to control the hearing aids with it too!

It ain’t the cheapest thing you can get, but it’s damned reliable, and with the Otter protective case, it’s also damned sturdy!!

I recommend that you get up off’n some of that old moth eaten currency yer settin’ on, take yer ass down to the ATT store, set down with one o’ them nice youngsters what works there and get yerself one of these.  They’ll mix the payments right in with your phone bill fer a couple of years  ‘n’ you’ll never miss the extry coins you spent on it, it’ll work when ya’s need it to, and you’ll be able ta’ call me ‘n’ Schoolmarm fer Christmas so’s we kin fuss atcha’s fer bein’ setch a crotchety ol’ fart!!

If ya’ don’t do like I’m tellin’ ya’,  MERRY CHRISTMAS anyways, ya’ ol’ grump!!

Oh! Yeah!  It’s the “iPhone SE 2022” and I’m sending you this message from it while I’m layin’ in the bed with my feet propped up and giggling at you!!

BTT so’s Forty can read it!! :lol:

If you are trying to connect to the internet with any new phone using your home Wi-Fi, you need to give your phone the modem access code.

WELL!!  Himself gave me a call a few minutes ago and informed me that he paid a visit to T-mobile and got hisself a phone!!

He was touching base with a few of us to give us his new number and to pass along wishes for a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Still a flip phone that is simple enough I can use it.

$71.00 out the door including all the hook up charges, $27.00 a month including some disaster insurance.

It has almost none of the idiotic features that I don't need, it fits my shirt pocket, and it doesn't weigh much more than a large pocket harmonica.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Still a flip phone that is simple enough I can use it.

$71.00 out the door including all the hook up charges, $27.00 a month including some disaster insurance.

It has almost none of the idiotic features that I don't need, it fits my shirt pocket, and it doesn't weigh much more than a large pocket harmonica.

Yeah, but now where are you gonna put your harmonica ?

52 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I got more than one pocket.  We ain't po' folks, y'know. :)

Now Forty, don't you remember that story you told about Christmas when you were a kid? You said that your family was so poor that you couldn't afford clothes AND toys, so your Dad got you a pair of pants, cut the pockets out of them, and told you to play with yourself.

Archived