SASS Wire Forum

Judge blocks California law banning carrying firearms in most public places

Sedalia Dave

Sorry, Dave!

Fox won’t let me read it without signing up!!

• Like 1

Thanks, Rye!

The Reuters report explains the ruling, but they DO show an obvious bias in their reporting!

The ruling is certainly good news! I just wish that they would exercise real journalism in their reporting!

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Thanks, Rye!

The Reuters report explains the ruling, but they DO show an obvious bias in their reporting!

The ruling is certainly good news! I just wish that they would exercise real journalism in their reporting!

Yep.

Just read the Reuters article.

sigh

• Sad 1

And yet the politicians aren't held liable for intentionally going against the Constitution. :angry: Why are they always above the law, but nobody else is?

Edited by Eyesa Horg
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

And yet the politicians aren't held liable for intentionally going against the Constitution. :angry: Why are they always above the law, but nobody else is?

I know.  New York tried this and it was ruled unconstitutional. 

The courts need to start punishing these capons. 

• Thanks 3

Finally had time to find and read the actual opinion:

https://assets.nationbuilder.com/firearmspolicycoalition/pages/6855/attachments/original/1703120456/May_v_Bonta_Preliminary_Injunction.pdf?1703120456

I first note this is a preliminary injunction, not a decision on the merits. But it is a promising ruling.

The judge emphasizes there is a difference between the general population and state-vetted licensed carriers. I'm not sure I agree a special license should be required of any ordinary law-abiding citizen.* I don't like it possibly establishing a precedent allowing training requirements only of those who choose to exercise a right. And how this might spread to other rights. Privacy? Search? Voting?

But I did find one argument very powerful: "The challenged law creates a vulnerable population... "

* I think I could (easily) be convinced a requirement of every law-abiding citizen to have firearms training, knowledge of self defense law, etc. under militia precedent would be constitutional. My argument is against requiring only those who choose to exercise a right undergo training.

Edited by John Kloehr
  • 2 weeks later...

Sad report on the eleven o'clock news tonight:  :(  :angry:

SAN DIEGO– Just weeks after a judge temporarily blocked a state law that bans Californians from carrying guns in most public spaces, late Saturday [today, 12/30/2023], a federal appeals court reversed that decision, allowing the law to go into effect in the new year, at least for now.

Link

• Sad 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Now if they would just ban Gov. Nuisance!!!

• Like 1

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/qualified_immunity#:~:text=Qualified immunity is a type,established” statutory or constitutional right.

“Qualified immunity balances two important interests—the need to hold public officials accountable when they exercise power irresponsibly and the need to shield officials from harassment, distraction, and liability when they perform their duties reasonably.” See: Pearson v. Callahan.

On 12/31/2023 at 1:18 AM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Sad report on the eleven o'clock news tonight:  :(  :angry:

SAN DIEGO– Just weeks after a judge temporarily blocked a state law that bans Californians from carrying guns in most public spaces, late Saturday [today, 12/30/2023], a federal appeals court reversed that decision, allowing the law to go into effect in the new year, at least for now.

Link

The 9th Circus overturned the appeals court.  Will wonders never cease.

• Sad 1