SASS Wire Forum

Uberti vs Miroku

Sam Sackett

I’m a 92 guy, but I have a question about misc springs and parts interchangeability between Uberti and Mifoku 1873’s. Are there any that are shared?  What about springs?

I'm just not knowing. I have heard that parts for the Miroku are few, but it seems that springs and a few other parts might be interchangeable.  Maybe not. 

Thanks for any ideas. 

Sam Sackett 

My understanding is the Uberti can be slicked and can also be short stroked. There is a lot of after-market support.

The Miroku is half short-stroked from the factory, does not need to be slicked beyond cycling while watching the spaghetti westerns, and has no after-market support.

There is another difference. The Uberti has a poly-urethane finish on the wood, extremely durable and somewhat resistant to scuffs and scratches. But repair requires sanding and reciting. The Miroku has an oil finish which scuffs and scratches easily, but is easily repaired with more oil.

These are the broad brush strokes, others may provide more details such as maybe about the Pioneer kit which is no longer made. But I would not count on any part being compatible between the tow guns.

I have one of each, a Miroku in 44-40 a Shot-show special found at auction after the CoViD cancellation, and an Evil Roy Uberti in .38 Special slicked by Grimes in. Neither is likely to get better than this. Really itching to run rounds through them both, the years are slipping by.

Not looking for short stroke or anything major. I was reading on other posts about Uberti spring upgrades and got to thinking………

Things tend to get out of hand when I do that.  Probably should stop ……….  NAAAAH!

Sam Sackett 

i used to shoot my uberti all the time , i did have it slicked a little by my LGS but was never short stroked [although i thought about it[ i know nothing of the miroku in rifles only the shotguns , i switched to a 66 about 8-10 years ago , my 92 os a backup gun these days 

edit to add - but i know it works and works well for me 

8 hours ago, Sam Sackett said:

I’m a 92 guy, but I have a question about misc springs and parts interchangeability between Uberti and Mifoku 1873’s. Are there any that are shared?  What about springs?

I'm just not knowing. I have heard that parts for the Miroku are few, but it seems that springs and a few other parts might be interchangeable.  Maybe not. 

Thanks for any ideas. 

Sam Sackett 

The springs and parts are not interchangeable. All springs (except magazine) of a Miroku 73 have a completely different design and size than those of the Uberti 73.

More or less Nothing is interchangeable between the two brands .

If your stuck on having the Winchester name on the gun , then you should buy the Japanese Clone of the Winchester. 

If you ever need parts or support for your gun that you are not going to do yourself. 

Then you should buy the Italian built Clone of the Winchester. 

I myself prefer the Uberti Clone guns .

So Saith the Rooster 

The OP is talking about 92"s...everyone else is talking about 73"s. There are some people that do prefer a 92...I can't say anything because I am like most...I prefer the 73

Last year I worked on a Cimmaron 92 saddle rifle in 357 mag.  It was expensive, about $1200, was jamming up. It was dirty, but nothing the matter with it other than the need for correct COL reloads.  Owner was shooting 38 specials in it and they were loaded too short.  The Cimmaron owner's manual stated what the correct COL range needed to be.  The gun was smooth running and needed nothing but a cleaning.  The big change from original was that the pin holding the lever to the bolt was threaded and needed removed with a little flat head screwdriver vs a punch like on the original.  The reason I am writing this is to let you know, the wood finish was not urethane, but oiled, dull finish wood.  It held ten rounds 38.  Unsure about 10 in 357, because owner did not shoot those in it.  Very nice little rifle.  I shot it on paper to show owner it was functioning fine.  It was accurate and smooth.  

46 minutes ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

The OP is talking about 92"s...everyone else is talking about 73"s. There are some people that do prefer a 92...I can't say anything because I am like most...I prefer the 73

No he specifically mentions the 73, he just opens up by saying he's a 92 guy. He's asking about the Miroku and Uberti 73, better read it again!

19 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

No he specifically mentions the 73, he just opens up by saying he's a 92 guy. He's asking about the Miroku and Uberti 73, better read it again!

Sorry...I missed that. My apologies

48 minutes ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

Sorry...I missed that. My apologies

No apologies necessary!:)

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yep.  Sorry I missed that.  Not sorry about getting up early for that first cup of coffee of the day though.

Thanks, guys!  I think I got my answer. They are different animals and no parts are interchangeable. 

Sam Sackett 

Archived