SASS Wire Forum

Grumble Grump!

Subdeacon Joe

Came out of the grocery store, saw a small pickup that had pulled in next to my driver's side, at an angle, maybe an inch between the rear corner of my car and the side of his truck.  "What muther-lovin' IDJIT parked like that!?!?" Turned out the same kind of idjit that then started to try to back out and maneuver a little straighter.  And cut his wheels the wrong way.  

We exchanged numbers, he said he will pay it, we have his card and a photo of the damage and his license plate.

Went to a body shop, estimate is $1700 bucks!

IMG_20231201_103248593_HDR.thumb.jpg.81a671a4ea3a3fe5acaa4f9af0a67c4a.jpg

Never got hit in a parking lot until we leased a new CRV, then wham with only 1,800 miles on it :angry:. Then traded/ leased our current GMC truck! It's been clipped twice in a year. Over 5K each time! :angry:

SDJ are they paint matching the scuff or ordering whole new bumper?  Seen a lot of replace with factory painted part 'repairs' lately

13 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

SDJ are they paint matching the scuff or ordering whole new bumper?  Seen a lot of replace with factory painted part 'repairs' lately

Pull the panel off, take out the little wrinkle, clean, repaint, reassemble, run diagnostics.  

I see your on the left coast.  I'm in central mo.  About the same thing cost us $650 a couple years ago. But geographical and COLA  differences I can see it.

It's a bit of a problem, with people that can't judge distances or are driving vehicles too large for their level of skill.

I was in the Costco parking lot, and found a space that I could just drive straight through without having to back out. GREAT!

I come out and a lady tells me a fellow in a RAM pick up tried to park behind me, ran into the back of my Grand Caravan.

She tells me "He did leave a note on your windshield!" 

The note read: "I hit the back of your van. Sorry." and that was it.

I showed the lady the note and asked if she was able to get the plate number.

No, she relied, it had one of those covers on it and I couldn't read it.

$6 grand damage at one shop.

That's exactly what happened to the Honda!! Parked far corner of Wally World, came out and 2 ladies were walking around our car taking pictures. I said to Ellie, this doesn't look good! She had pulled into the space next to us with a brand new the day before Caravan van. Over shot it and took out the passenger side front end and back to the door of our car! Way more damage to hers. The wheel of ours peeled hers pretty good. Good news was she of our vintage, therefore responsible and we're waiting for us to come back. We both had USAA for insurance, so by the time we got home she had already reported it to insurance and there were messages from USAA setting up all the appointments and a rental to get it fixed. Thank God for an honest old person .

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

with people that can't judge distances or are driving vehicles too large for their level of skill.

It wasn't a big pickup, I guess "compact pickup" would describe it.  Not really all that much bigger than our Leaf.

Good news, I had the body shop email him the quote with a CC to me.  I responded to it and CCed asking him if he wanted to send me the funds or have the shop bill him.  He got back to me within 4 hours saying my choice.  I'll have the shop bill him, but did ask for a check to cover the rental while ours is in the shop for two days.  

15 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Came out of the grocery store, saw a small pickup that had pulled in next to my driver's side, at an angle, maybe an inch between the rear corner of my car and the side of his truck.  "What muther-lovin' IDJIT parked like that!?!?" Turned out the same kind of idjit that then started to try to back out and maneuver a little straighter.  And cut his wheels the wrong way.  

We exchanged numbers, he said he will pay it, we have his card and a photo of the damage and his license plate.

Went to a body shop, estimate is $1700 bucks!

IMG_20231201_103248593_HDR.thumb.jpg.81a671a4ea3a3fe5acaa4f9af0a67c4a.jpg

Shouldn’t you have made a police report? I know he said he would pay but just to be sure a police report would help.

30 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Shouldn’t you have made a police report? I know he said he would pay but just to be sure a police report would help.

9 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

A number of jurisdictions won't do a police report for traffic accidents on private property where there are no injuries.  One of the consequences of defunding the police.  

That's been going on LONG before the defunding crap started. The only way any jurisdictions around here will come out for minor accidents on private property, is if there is (very) pissed off people or injuries. Not my intention to insult law enforcement but, simply put...there's no revenue (money) in it.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

No point, "Call your insurance." My wife took better photos, also of his license plate so we can take action if necessary.

The day is fast coming when they will fill  the crease with Bondo, sand smooth, and put a color wrap and clear coat on the damaged panel.  Many car repaint places are now using whole body color wraps.  It's a matter of time before you will be able to order a paint-matched wrap, either by factory number or by computer match, and DIY the repair with a squeegee and heat gun.   

Had somebody back into my 2001 F150 work pickup, not long ago in a supermarket parking lot.   They had a shallow dent in their rear van door, from their spare tire being pressed inward.  I got a wide, shallow dent in my tailgate, probably from the same tire.  I was sitting in the truck eating a snack at the time.  

My old pickup has seen 22 years of HARD  use, with 311 K miles on original engine and transm.  Lots of little dents and paint marks and oxidized, sun faded paint.   I told them "no problem", we shook hands and they drove away. 

A couple days later, I saw the same van parked 1/4 mile away on my street.  Turns out they are a neighbor.   Small world.  Happy ending.

Archived